PDA

View Full Version : Cooling fan mod(???)

Stavesacre21
03-08-2005, 07:57 PM
So I just read on the modifications page that people are starting to do a mod to cool down 96-98 Cobras? Have any of you really noticed that big of a problem with heat? I've got a 97, and I personally haven't noticed mine to be running any hotter then it should. Is it really a mod worth your time? Anyone here did it? Seem to really make any difference, or just a "time-killing" mod for customization? Let me know whats up! :bounce: Im curious

cobrabitn
03-08-2005, 10:27 PM
In 1996, the Cobra had a cooling issue and they had a factory upgrade to resolve the heat issue. They don't honor the upgrade now but the problem was addressed in 1997 so you shouldn't have a cooling problem. However, if you like to run open track then it probably wouldn't hurt to do the mod so you can keep the Snake nice and cool ;)

Stavesacre21
03-08-2005, 10:42 PM
Yea, i knew that there was a cooling upgrade for 97, but I didn't know as if it was inaffective somehow, considering that the article specified the 96-98s. Yur answer helped to back up my thoughts though....thanx:thumbsup:

SNAKEYE
03-09-2005, 09:02 AM
So I just read on the modifications page that people are starting to do a mod to cool down 96-98 Cobras? Have any of you really noticed that big of a problem with heat? I've got a 97, and I personally haven't noticed mine to be running any hotter then it should. Is it really a mod worth your time? Anyone here did it? Seem to really make any difference, or just a "time-killing" mod for customization? Let me know whats up! :bounce: Im curious
SNAKEYE, #18 1997 with a Vortech blower, had major cooling issues! Couldn't keep the gauge away from the "H". First I put Water Wetter in the coolant. Then I put in an Evans high capacity coolant pump. Then I did the fan override mod. Then I added a "pusher" fan in front of the A/C condenser. Then 160-degree (supposedly, but I bet they're really 180-degree) thermostats. Finally I put in a two-core radiator. That did it. The gage swings "R" to "M" on the hottest days with the A/C on.

Xaqcraw4d
03-10-2005, 03:31 PM
I've got a '96 cobra, triple black, plus I live in central Texas. You can imagine the cooling problems I've got. I contacted my local Ford dealership to see if they could give me any info on what all I would need to just do the upgrade myself. Much to my dismay, they didn't even know what the update was, much less have any good technical info. Does anyone have anything that might get me pointed in the right direction, or perhaps some suggestions for another way to solve my cooling woes?

Thanks!
-Zach

Stavesacre21
03-11-2005, 02:39 PM
Does anyone have anything that might get me pointed in the right direction, or perhaps some suggestions for another way to solve my cooling woes?
Well, this is the mod I was referring to.

http://www.svtcobraclub.com/TechApplications/engine_n_tranny/96-98_Cobra_manual_fan_switch.pdf

I don't know if you saw that on the webpage or not...supposedly seems to be very helpful from what i hear

Xaqcraw4d
03-11-2005, 06:34 PM
Yeah I'll be doing that one tomorrow. Of course I won't know if it does the trick until August......oh well. If not I'll go take out a loan and get a nice dual core aluminum radiator. :thumbsup:

SNAKEYE
03-14-2005, 01:49 PM

http://www.svtcobraclub.com/TechApplications/engine_n_tranny/96-98_Cobra_manual_fan_switch.pdf

I don't know if you saw that on the webpage or not...supposedly seems to be very helpful from what i hear
Stavesacre21: GO FOR THE 2-CORE RADIATOR!
If you read my earlier post above, you saw were I did everything possible prior to the radiator change out. There just isn't enough coolant and air flow in the stock rad. It'll cost you around $400, but the problem will be vanquished! I got mine from Steeda. For a normally aspirated or non-Vortech blown Cobra the swap is a no-brainer: drain coolant, pull hoses, unplug fan wires, remove hold-down clamps, pull radiator out of car, swap fan/shroud to new rad., re-assemble. IT WORKED FOR ME!

Stavesacre21
03-14-2005, 07:25 PM
Stavesacre21: GO FOR THE 2-CORE RADIATOR!
If you read my earlier post above, you saw were I did everything possible prior to the radiator change out. There just isn't enough coolant and air flow in the stock rad. It'll cost you around $400, but the problem will be vanquished! I got mine from Steeda. For a normally aspirated or non-Vortech blown Cobra the swap is a no-brainer: drain coolant, pull hoses, unplug fan wires, remove hold-down clamps, pull radiator out of car, swap fan/shroud to new rad., re-assemble. IT WORKED FOR ME!
If I ever end up running into serious problems with cooling, it's likely i might do that...however, as of now, im not really having any problems, and since i don't have a blower either (im still in stock form), I really haven't seen too much of a need to. However, if I do choose to mod out the car, ill definetely keep that all in mind :D

1-QIK-SNK
03-14-2005, 07:47 PM

i have this mod done to my 96 along with the steeda radiator and works wonders.
I was sitting and waiting on a train one time on my way to norwalk raceway park and i sit there and watched my temp gauge go up to 210-220 and then i turnd the high speed fan on and i could see the temp go down to 180. :eek:
i would do it just for a just incase.
kerry m

SNAKEYE
03-16-2005, 02:01 PM
i have this mod done to my 96 along with the steeda radiator and works wonders.
I was sitting and waiting on a train one time on my way to norwalk raceway park and i sit there and watched my temp gauge go up to 210-220 and then i turnd the high speed fan on and i could see the temp go down to 180. :eek:
i would do it just for a just incase.
kerry m
If all you did was turn on the fan and dropped the temp 35-40 degrees (you must have an after-market gauge) I would suggest that perhaps all you needed was to replace the stock temperature sensor that is suppose to signal the ECU to turn the fan on to begin with. I did that initially because I had a Check Engine light with a DTC that indicated there was a problem. The problem wasn't the sensor.
If one can handle tapping a wire into the cable that runs into the ECU (it does take some skill and dexterity!) and sticking a switch on the other end, you will have to ability to force the high speed fan on anytime you want it.
For those who find that they have to turn it on all of the time and the results are marginal, the only way to go is the 2-core radiator.