PDA

View Full Version : Problems with 1-2 shift

Stavesacre21
03-08-2005, 09:47 PM
Once more fellas (and felletes ;) ), got a good question for you

Even though the Cobra is still in storage, I'll be getting it out soon, so i'm trying to decide what to do from here. Ever since i got her, I've been having problems with the shift from 1st to 2nd, but has progressivly got worse. The problem would only occur when trying to make quick shifts, and when it happened...I knew. Sounded similar to what would happen if you tried to shift without the clutch (heavy grinding). However, if I slowly (who does) make the shift (and I mean at a leisurely pace), it will usually align the shift with no problem. What gives?!? It only occurs on the 1-2 shift

So the question is, first off...what would be your guess as the problem? Would replacing the shifter help, or would you guess that we're dealing more with transmission/dogteeth? Think I should drop the car off at the local AMMCO when i get her out of storage, or maybe try somethin else? lemme know yur thoughts, cause this problem has been eating away at me all winter. I've got my suspicions, but i just wanted to check with my "other" family :D

Words cannot express the sheer embassment of not being able to pull on a ricey honda until 40MPH on, because of a rediculous shift you have to shift VERY slow for :mad:

Thanx in advance guys :D

tazzracing1
03-08-2005, 10:34 PM
I have a friend with the same issue. His bearings and the gears where bad in his. He bought it used so he has know idea on how the former owner drove it.

Lumpydogs
03-09-2005, 01:14 PM
Switch to full synthetic ATF fluid. This will quiet the tranny noise and
improve the shifting, assuming you don't have other mechanical problems.

I used Mobil Syn ATF and shifting was much improved. :D

Does the 1 - 2 shifting get any easier after the tranny heats up?
I'll bet it does.

dewone
03-09-2005, 03:03 PM
Don't use AAMCO they try to bend ya way over. Took my truck in years ago. F 150 E4OD Trans. They Wanted $1800.00 to rebuild the Trans. Took it somewhere else. Ends up being the torque converter $400.00
Need I say More.

Stavesacre21
03-10-2005, 09:39 AM
From what i'm hearin from co-workers, they seem to be thinkin that it's unlikely to be from the shifter, although if it goes in the tranny shop, i think i'm gonna just have them toss an MGW shifter on while still there

Anyhow, popular vote seems to be goin with bad synchos. Does that mean i'll be looking at a tranny rebuild, or are they seperate from the actual transmission?

On a better note, i think I did find a great tranny shop, aside from AAMCO...cause yes, i've heard how they can rape ya pretty bad :eek:

P.S. - In your own opinion, do you people think i should put the shifter on myself, or just buy it and leave it to the transmission shop to do? I'm pretty good at most car mechanic work, but usually work on electrical/simple engine maintence as opposed to anything with the drivetrain. thanx again all :thumbsup:

Why Try?
03-10-2005, 11:42 AM
Id say go ahead and do the install yourself with the shifte, I installed my PRO 5.0 shifter myself and it was simple. Not much to it at all, but on the shifting, i have the same thing happening to me, i dont know what it is from but i have the same problem of high RPM shifts from 1st to 2nd. let me know what you find out

Lumpydogs
03-10-2005, 12:11 PM
From what i'm hearin from co-workers, they seem to be thinkin that it's unlikely to be from the shifter, although if it goes in the tranny shop, i think i'm gonna just have them toss an MGW shifter on while still there

Anyhow, popular vote seems to be goin with bad synchos. Does that mean i'll be looking at a tranny rebuild, or are they seperate from the actual transmission?

On a better note, i think I did find a great tranny shop, aside from AAMCO...cause yes, i've heard how they can rape ya pretty bad :eek:

P.S. - In your own opinion, do you people think i should put the shifter on myself, or just buy it and leave it to the transmission shop to do? I'm pretty good at most car mechanic work, but usually work on electrical/simple engine maintence as opposed to anything with the drivetrain. thanx again all :thumbsup:

Who said anything about a shifter???

I would try changing the tranny fluid. $15 and 1 hour easy labor. It may
help the problem and buy you another couple of years on the tranny.
The synchros do wear out but that's for a tranny shop to deal with and
cost real money. Just my $0.02

dewone
03-10-2005, 12:32 PM
Got to agree with Lumpydogs. Solve or figure out your problem prior to doing any mods. That way you know what helps or not. Once your happy with the trans then move forward. Installing the shifter is easy, did my PRO 5.0 myself took maybe an hour.

tazzracing1
03-10-2005, 10:52 PM
I just want to let you know that my friend had the exact same issue ended up being bad synchros. Warning be careful not to pull out the wrong plug on side of trans bottom is actually hinge pin for 5th gear(MAJOR DAMAGE) I had the same friend get his tranny flushed at Uncle Ed's and They removed the wrong one.

The install for the MGW shifter is easy, just take you time and be patient when removing the old shift because it will be really stuck due to the sealant. DO NOT force, wiggle side to side with slight pressure.

GOOD LUCK I know you will enjoy the new shfter it is top quality all the way very impressive.:thumbsup:

Stavesacre21
03-11-2005, 01:36 PM
I'll keep you all posted once i get it in the shop...sounds like a few of you can personally relate. popular vote seems to think tranny fluid or syncros.

Thanx for the help all! :thumbsup:

Abneriel
03-12-2005, 10:08 AM
I'm kind of late in this post, just wanted to add my info. Mine did that as well, then I changed out the fluid to a full synthetic and it was fine...It generally did it when the tranny was cold...is yours doing it after warm up too?

Best fluid I know out there is GM Synchromesh. If that doesn't stop it, nothing will.

Stavesacre21
03-14-2005, 01:28 AM
...is yours doing it after warm up too?
Mine is 24/7...not only when it's cold. I'd really like to think a tranny fluid change would do the trick, but i'm guessin it's gonna take a lil more. The thought did cross my mind that it could be tranny fluid, but until i get it in the shop and have um tear her guts out, i'm not gonna know for sure :(

Xaqcraw4d
03-17-2005, 12:32 PM
I've seen a couple of recommendations about good tranny fluid here, but does anyone know if our 'beloved' T-45's need any kind of friction modifier added when using a 3rd party synthetic fluid? Any insight would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Zach

Stavesacre21
03-17-2005, 02:25 PM
The T-45 seems pretty self-sufficient with just a good tranny fluid, and i don't know as though i've heard anyone here saying that they use anything else...i guess the one additive i've heard of (ever) is someone tossin some of that Z-max transmission additive in...seemed to help :dunno:

Stavesacre21
03-20-2005, 10:04 PM
Well people.....wish me luck...I'll be droppin the car off at the tranny shop first thing monday morning. Should know the ransom toll by tomorrow nite...

...anticipation :edmond: :thumbdwn:

Lumpydogs
03-20-2005, 11:03 PM
I've seen a couple of recommendations about good tranny fluid here, but does anyone know if our 'beloved' T-45's need any kind of friction modifier added when using a 3rd party synthetic fluid? Any insight would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Zach

No, strongly recommended against friction modifiers. Tranny is made to
run on Auto. Tran. Fluid. The only service bulletin I recall is using slightly
less fluid than what is specified in the glove box manual.

Personal experience was the full synthetic fluid worked better than the
stock fluid.

Stavesacre21
03-21-2005, 06:18 PM
Alright....so i heard back from the tranny people this evening....and I must say....i'm totally thinkin of raising the :bs: to this one

They claim that it's an extremely abused clutch :scratch: :what: :lurk: I've never noticed any problems with the clutch...very firm, not slipping...hmm. Anyhow, they claimed that it seems as though it's been abused much more then it should on a 42K vehicle? what do you all think of this? sound bogus? if you don't recall, my problem was a grind sound when trying to shift into 2nd gear (quickly)...guess i just woulda never tied that into the clucth bein bad

Oh yea...and as i understand, they didn't open the tranny up yet...this was an external diagnosis :scratch:

:bs:?

tazzracing1
03-21-2005, 11:11 PM
It is possible but my friend went through the same thing end up being the enterals where bad. The clutch was changed it looked good, but there was noise from the ols pressure plate and throw out bearing. I would hope it is only the clutch and pressure plate the cost is alot less.

Stavesacre21
03-21-2005, 11:24 PM
I would hope it is only the clutch and pressure plate the cost is alot less.
Yea im keepin my fingers crossed....considering how they told me that a completely rebuilt T45 could easily run over $2K...i was thinkin....:bugeyes:

tazzracing1
03-21-2005, 11:37 PM
I think they are very steep on that price. $800 to $900. for that price you could locate a new trans. Depend on which clutch you chose shouldn't be more than $90 to $250 just depends on what you decide to buy and a couple of hundred to install.

Stavesacre21
03-21-2005, 11:47 PM
I think they are very steep on that price
That's AAMCO for you though :mad: I really didn't wanna take it there, but in this rinky dink part of Ohio, i'd have to travel QUITE a few miles to find a trustworthy tranny shop (other then a ford dealership). The other shops I had set up feel through.....because they only worked on auto trannys (????.....how stupid is that! :rolleyes: )

They quoted me $600 for the clutch...and 800 for a heavy duty racing clutch. I still opted for the $600, considering im not much of a drag racer anyhow....That had BETTER include labor in it, cause otherwise, i did find out that a factory replacement clutch from late mustang resto only runs around the $200 range anyway. I'm not about to taken :mad:

tazzracing1
03-22-2005, 12:04 AM
I shop alot on ebay and find several great deals. I changed my clutch last year when it started engaging a little higher than it should, I went with a stock clutch also I don't do much racing either. I would shop around if possible. I'm pretty lucky because my mechanic's shop is 2 blocks away and lives three block away. I go down and lend a hand when I vist and get really great deals with labor cost but I still price check. Labor should be only $200 to $300.

Stavesacre21
03-22-2005, 12:10 AM
Labor should be only $200 to $300.
Which is exactly why I'm thinking that a $600 clutch bill had better include labor...cause if you could find me a clutch alone that cost $600....i'd be ready to run professional stock :eek:

I look around on eBay alot as well...i was just hoping that they would offer a decent price on a clutch so i wouldn't have to wait for it to arrive in a week from an eBayer...however, if it's THAT unreasonable, i'll be sure to tell em where to stick that clutch:p

tazzracing1
03-22-2005, 12:21 AM
I know the feeling of having your car down it is a terrible feeling. I had mine down last year for the thermostat housing and missed the track weekend at Gingerman. I think that was more depressing than anything I would have still went but had to loan my lancer car to the girlfriend because her vehicle broke down it was a really bad week.

Xaqcraw4d
03-22-2005, 11:30 AM
Yeah thats pretty crazy just to swap out a clutch....you might check with Ford for the clutch - I got a full kit from our local dealership here in Austin for like $160 or $180. I'd tell 'em to stop trying to bend you over on the price...that's way too high.

Stavesacre21
03-22-2005, 03:56 PM
well all the work is done and im pickin the car up in the morning. They say it totals out to $619, which included a clutch kit, resurface flywheel, change tranny fluid, and all labor and services. I must say that aamco didn't charge me near as much as I was thinkin...but then again, i was expecting a tranny rebuild.

However, the tell tale will obviuously be when i pick it up tomorrow...cause if it's still grinding at all, time for a lil piss&complain session with my buddies :mad:

tazzracing1
03-22-2005, 04:22 PM
I hope everything goes good for you tommorow. I have been pretty lucky so far when what I have had to done. Well keep us posted on the results. I would say with everything they did the price was not to bad.:thumbsup:

Stavesacre21
03-23-2005, 10:42 AM
Alright....so i heard back from the tranny people this evening....and I must say....i'm totally thinkin of raising the :bs: to this one
Man do I HATE it when im right :mad: :(

Went to get the car, pull out onto the road and up to the first light i come to. Light turns green and i press forward with a little gas and in 1st up to about 3K, shift to 2nd and SURPRISE, SURPRISE, SURPRISE......GGGGGGRRRRRRIIIIINNNDDDD......almost worse then before it seems. You better believe I turned the car RIGHT around and told them that I don't know WHAT they did.....but they sure as heck didn't even FIX the problem I had turned it into them for.

Granted the old clutch was toast, but they didn't even touch on the problem that I turned it into them for....does this come to a surprise to anyone?!

Still awaiting another call back on WTF's really goin on :nope: :bawling:

sick of all the :bs: .....know the feeling?

Stavesacre21
03-23-2005, 12:28 PM
Suspicions were sadly right...:bawling: Tranny's goin. And yes, that means gettin a rebuilt tranny :jawdrop: :edmond:

Of course, they somehow managed to overlook this when it was in the shop the first time :doubt: :lurk: don't know about that one.

Tranny should be in tomorrow, and should be installed and running by Friday

Man...have you ever had a bad day? If so...ease my thoughts...and try to beat me. Lets hear some other stories of woe. Might be a lil tough to beat a $2200 surprise tranny fix (clutch, flywheel and entire tranny replaced)....

Do try though...humor me :twitchy:

Xaqcraw4d
03-23-2005, 05:30 PM
Well I'll give it a shot....I used to drive an '86 full-sized Bronco. One day on a trip to visit a relative(4 hour drive) about half way there it spun the first main bearing....so we limped it home at 20mph all the way back. Went into Austin the next day and bought a rebuilt 302 for it, and spent the next 4 days swapping it out....oh how I hate the orginal Ford EFI...so we get it all done....and the thing runs great....for about a week...then shears half the lobes of the 'new' camshaft. On to engine number two...swapped it out again...and it runs...sort of...for about 100 miles, then snaps a rod....on to engine 3. By this time we're so familiar with it we drove it into the garage, swapped the motor, and drove back out in about 9 hours...not bad for 2 guys in a home-made garage. This one limps along for about 120 miles, then it dies. Finally, the guy that we got all these engines from says to bring it in because he wants to figure out what's wrong with all these engines he built.....and replaces it with engine number 4. Worked great until the torque converter came apart....then i said to hell with it and sold it off....pretty much my worst experience with a vehicle ever.

Stavesacre21
03-30-2005, 11:41 AM
Just to fill you all in, i got the tranny and clucth FINALLY done, only to have a problem with the check engine light now (different issue...:mad: ). Thanx for all your help with the tranny! :thumbsup:

Stavesacre21
04-01-2005, 10:16 PM
BUT WAIT!! THERE'S MORE!!!

Oh yes, the fiasco has yet to end! Got my engine plugs and wires changed, and went to back my car out of the driveway onto the road.....and....apparently wanted to stay in reverse! :eek: My car was STUCK in reverse...meaning that i literally could NOT get the shifter out of reverse! :doubt: Kind of a serious issue when your sitting in the middle of a ROAD, not really able to move (cept back more...off the road and into the neighbors yard) Given, this had me TOTALLY :mad:

Also, the clutch seems to be rattling and shaking slightly as well, which i never had a problem with my LAST ONE! Obviously, since all this is under warrenty, it'll be back on AAMCO's doorstep Monday morning, feeding off that tasty warrenty for their stupidity :rolleyes: This is gonna be a VERY messy confrontation :chairshot

Isn't this getting a little redundant and stupid now? I mean...come on people :mad:

Don't know if anyones even reading this anymore....but i'll keep everyone posted :p

tazzracing1
04-01-2005, 10:52 PM
Well I'm still reading the post on your issues and wish you the best of luck.

BlitzkriegSnake
04-06-2005, 02:02 AM
Well man, I just wanted to tell you, that you are not alone. When I read your 1st post,it was like you were explaining exactly what my 97-Cobra does. When I go to change 1st to 2nd under high RPM's GGGGGRRRRIIINNNDD!!! just like your Cobra. When I shift with the RPM's down low it slides right in.(SOUND FAMILIER) I think i'm going to get a new tranny instead of a rebuild. D&D Motorsports usually has T45's for 96-01 Cobras brand new for around $1,000 and thats not a bad deal. I would like to get a T-56 but they are big$$$$$, so I guess when the $$$$ is there i'll get a new T-45. I think Ford should have addressed the issue of these trannys grinding and the synchros falling apart, from what I have read this is a regular thing with the 96-98 Cobras.(MORE THE 96-97) So wish me luck!! from all the trouble you hade looks like i'll need it!!:D

Stavesacre21
04-06-2005, 04:58 AM
I think i'm going to get a new tranny instead of a rebuild. D&D Motorsports usually has T45's for 96-01 Cobras brand new for around $1,000 and thats not a bad deal.From what i've heard, brand new isn't available anymore...ONLY rebuilt. If so, that news really blows, cause i'd have definetely went with that earlier.

And just as an update from earlier, the new tranny was taken was taken in, and due to all the problems, AAMCO decided it'd be better just to take out the tranny and just replace the whole thing with another compltely rebuilt tranny...hmm...this is getting rediculous. Up-to-date....im still waitin for them to put in the 2nd rebuilt tranny! This is getting SOOOO rediculous now...:eek: :mad:

Stavesacre21
04-11-2005, 07:04 PM
As the Saga unfolds:

Got the car back from AAMCO today after a whirlwind of a mess with their rebuild company, but when all's said and done, the car's home.

Car seems to be shifting like the first time I got it...smooth and grind freeeeee :eek: :thumbsup: yea, i was so happy! I went and got gas...prolly put around 30 miles on it today. Even backed up numerus times to make sure it's not stickin...and sure enough, smooth as could be

BUT

yes, but

I go to back it in the garage to park it......and OHMYFREEGIGOSH...BAM...STUCK IN REVERSE AGAIN. and I mean, i tried and tried to get it out...but I couldn't. I had to go get some help from someone else a lil stronger then me who eventually was able to nub it out of reverse. Tried goin forward and backward like, a million times after that and no problems. SO what i'm gonna do is inform them that it happened, but tell them to chill out and see if it happens again...and again. If so, as much as i hate to, i'm gonna stove it up their tailpipe again. Otherwise, FOR NOW, i'm good to go :)

So let hope that this novel has come to its glorious ending. As of now, it's looking like it very well may. But as usual, if any other problem occur, i'm sure i'll keep everyone informed...cause this is almost so funny that i can't help but laugh from here on out :rotf:

Thanx for all the support and help guys! :thumbsup:

RF Cobra
04-11-2005, 07:22 PM
We had that problem with a thunderbird after the tranny was rebuilt and it turned out that they had missed installing one of the internal braces.

Hopefully yours was just one of those let's get stuck in reverse one more time just for old times sake. :)

Stavesacre21
04-11-2005, 09:39 PM
Hopefully yours was just one of those let's get stuck in reverse one more time just for old times sake. :)Yea, lets hope so! I know the last 2 "lets get stuck in reverse for old times sakes" ended up being more extensive, so i could gladly say that i'm done with these old times sakers....lets just move on.....shall we :mad: lol

Took the cobra out again tonite, and didn't have any problems again....so it looks like my crap days are over :thumbsup:

Any of you ever have a problem of "rumbling" or small "shudders" when first letting the clutch into reverse? I know reverse it tougher to work clutch with because of the fact yur going in reverse, but for some reason i seem to be having a heck of a time letting the clutch all the way out without some good shudders. Guess i'm just figuring that it's the clutch/tranny wearing in. :doubt:

I know it's more wear on a clutch when you let out slower and give gas for longer periods of time (extending the "friction time"), but do most of you back-up slower by riding the clutch a lil more, or do you usually back up a hair and just take the small jolt of letting reverse out all the way? (usually a lil rocky-er) Just a curious driving style question. :rolleyes:

Butcher
04-12-2005, 02:46 AM
Who said anything about a shifter???

I would try changing the tranny fluid. $15 and 1 hour easy labor. It may
help the problem and buy you another couple of years on the tranny.
The synchros do wear out but that's for a tranny shop to deal with and
cost real money. Just my $0.02
Yep. Agreed. if this doesnt change the prob, grab a 5.0 shifter or something compareable. Stock shifters are noiesy.

Jimmie

Stavesacre21
04-18-2005, 05:25 PM
oh my...i sit in disbelief...

yes yes, once more, the car is at AAMCO...this time for a (different) type of grinding when downshiting from 4-3 and 3-2. Sounds alot like when are baseball card is in the spokes of a bicycle wheel. They called me back and tried to tell me that that's NORMAL when you downshift into 2nd at about 40MPH....OMG....i told them where to stick it, and to look it all over again. I've never had a car that's did that before, and you better believe i'm not gonna buy that excuse when i'm $2300 in with these guys.

For that price, if this car isn't picture perfect, it'll be back in their shop.

Tell me, am i crazy for thinking this, or would you all do the same?! Is it really too much to ask for a WORKING T-45 transmission?????

tazzracing1
04-18-2005, 09:12 PM
I hate to here more problems, I would have to disagree with them it is not normal mine doesn't do that and after my friends was rebuilt he had none of the problems you describe and my tranny or his doesn't do that. I think They really need to get their act together. I hope it works out for you I know you most be getting frustrated.

BlitzkriegSnake
04-20-2005, 12:40 AM
All these problems you have had I am dreading the heck out of getting my tranny fixed. I still need the extra $$$$$ before I start the process. I don't think anyone ever has extra $$$$$, you just find a way to go deeper in debt.:D If I had as much money as you sunk in your tranny fix everything better work just like it did the day I bought it new. After I have it fixed, the first day or so i'll be a nervous wreck everytime I shift. After all the problems you had,I sure hope you don't ever have anymore issues with your tranny. Whenever I start my 1-2 grind tranny fix, I'll let you know how it goes.Untill then :cheers:

Stavesacre21
04-20-2005, 01:03 AM
Whenever I start my 1-2 grind tranny fix, I'll let you know how it goes.Untill then :cheers:keep me posted with the way is goes :thumbsup:

as for my own fiasco, i heard back from AAMCO today, and after the owner of the buisness drove it today, he told me that a "blocking nut" is too tight, but that it should work itself out in 3-4 weeks. If not, they agreed that they'd drop in tranny #4 under warrenty. Apparently he also consulted the tranny company that rebuilt it, and they think the same.

So...as of now, i'm just gonna drive it about a month, and just hope that it works itself out...if not...i getta start the process ALL over again of the rebuilt tranny, along with the prayers that it would somehow be properly reconstructed :rolleyes:

RaciNUT
04-24-2005, 12:33 PM
I have been reading about your lengthy dilemma... and in one of the posts you asked for some of us to relate our own stories... So here goes!

I dont really drive like an animal, never hit the rev limiter on the car, however I do drive it like a street machine and have left a few rice burners with a look of shame on their faces! The car is still mostly stock...

Bought my 99 Cobra in 2001 with 20k or os on the car... Ran like a champ right up until the 48k mark, when I was driving (very safely) on the interstate at 70MPH in 5th gear, and it started making a very slight knock sound from the engine... Well, I immediatly pulled over to take a look and saw nothing, but knew the sound was not good! Between 1500-3500 RMP, the knock got louder... blah blah blah...

First I brought the car to where I bought it... and they told me they do not service them, I had to bring it elsewhere. They also told me to bring ALL Maint records with me because they would be needed.

(July 20th or so 2004)

I brought it to Dale Jarrett ford here in Charlotte area, and all in all the guy out there was great (Mike). I had an extended warrantly, and he told me not to worry... Would call me that night. He did... and exactly what I expected was true... He said a rod bearing had "Broken a Tab" which was scatterred throughout the bottom end. (I know a bit about engines, and knew it was a Rod or Crank bearing, but never heard of a "Tab" breaking) Anyhow... he warned me that the aftermarket warranty company would want very detailed information about my oil change history... Which I immediately sent to him via fax, and of course the other records in my glove box.

Well... The warranty company was hesitant about the engine and they authorized Mike to do a full tear down on the motor... and then call them to setup an appt to fly to Charlotte and decide whether or not to cover it! I of course, had to agree that if they chose not to cover it, I would be responsible for the tear down as well as any storage fees.. OK - Agree!

(2 weeks & several calls later)

They FINALLY approved a brand new replacement crate motor from Ford for the car after several heated debates over the engine and its care (Oil change history is a MUST KEEPER) Mike told me that the engine was extremely clean on the inside and this was one of the factors in the desicion, if there was ANY gum or sludge - he said they would have denied it! Makes you rethink a warranty for a few minutes....

Due to the availability of the engines... it took another 18 days for the engine to come into the ford dealer... All brand spanking new and complete! He told me they had to transfer a few "Bolt-Ons" over to the new crate engine, but from the intake to the pan, everything was new! I spoke to him a few days later and he told me that they were almost complete (It was a Friday) and he hoped they would have it done and test driven by close of business so I could come and get it for the weekend! (I got a little woody in anticipation)

4PM... the phone rings... Its Mike with Good news and bad news! Good news, the car started and runs AWESOME! Bad news... one of the freeze plugs was dripping a bit of coolant... and Ford wanted them to pull the motor back out and see if it could be fixed! Well... to say the least, that wouldnt happen until Monday! There goes the weekend....

Got a call on Tuesday and the news was not good! The freeze plug looked like it was pressed in sideways and the journal was completely hosed! Since the block was messed up... yup, it meant they had to build ANOTHER new engine, and another 2 weeks before I could get the car back! During this time... I also decided to have the clutch replaced while it was out... better now than 1 year from now!

FINALLY - the week before Labor day, I got a call that the new motor was there and they were in the process of putting the cradle back under the car and sewing it up! It was again a Friday (Labor day weekend coming) and they were going to work late to get me the car back since it had been there more than 2 months and honestly they were tired of seeing it in their garage bay! I drove out and picked it up at 6PM on the friday of Labor day weekend! Paid my $100 warranty co-pay (And a few extras I asked for like a new Key and door opener etc), but noticed no charge for the new clutch and asked them about it... Oops, we forgot to do that, and its kinda too late now to do it for the same price!!! I drove home with my brand spanking new engine, and the feeling of happiness one gets the first time he saw a nekkid woman! Getting an extra 36k in engine warranty didnt hurt either!! (According to Mike it was a total $9600 job, NOT coutning the extra engine and storage fees) I didnt let the clutch mishap bother me since there was nothing wrong with the current one...

I immediately noticed that the car sounded different, more throatier is the best way I can describe it... but I didnt really get on it to see the power change, if any! It also had the sweet smell of hand cleaner from being in the shop too long!!

A month or so passed before I noticed HUGE mileage gains! I mean, I used to get 200 Miles per full tank, now I am getting 240-260 miles on a tank of gas! Didnt really think too much about it though... In early November, I reached 1000 Miles on the new motor, and decided it was OK to see how it would perform. Much to my disappointment, it just didnt seem like it had the pep it had in the past, so I brought it back to be looked at, and make sure the TSB's had been completed. I was assured everything was up to par... and at that point I decided the original owner must have had a custom tune on the thing, which I would have to get done again. I was on my way home in late Nov from coaching one of my kids basketball team, and BAM... soemthing didnt sound too good under the hood! I pulled over and sure enough, there was a hole in the passenger side valve cover roughly the size of a baseball!! Oil had puked everywhere!

Mike (From DJ Ford) sent a wrecker to get the car the following day... and assured me it would not take so long this time, since it was FORD warranty not a third party. He was right! He said the car must have been a "Friday Motor" and one of the bolts in the passenger side timing chain mechanism had come loose and was thrown out of the engine! Not a big deal, and I would have it back within 48 hours... (Of course I was thinking that if this came loose, surely something else was damaged!! - he assured me otherwise and followed it up with the statement about the 36k warranty, and if something does go bad.. it WILL be fixed)

Got the car back, and havent had a problem since! I have ALWAYS had a puff of blue smoke on cold startups, and everywhere I read says it is normal due to the tight tolerances on these engines... Now the good part! Since the bolt was puked out the side of the engine, the power seems to be better, and the gas mileage is slowly creeping back to where it was before! Go figure! The bad news... Remember that clutch they didnt replace?? It seems to be getting closer to needing it!!

Anyhow... Just wanted to try and make ya feel better!! I am still a happy Cobra owner, and will buy another! This time though, I will get it right from Ford and just the way Mike handled everything will get me to his dealership! I will also be very gentle on this motor for 20k.... but that last 16k of engine warranty is going to be rough!! If this motor is not bulletproof... I will find out!

Of course.. I was patiently awaiting the expiration of my extended warranty at 60k, so that I could bolt on a Kenne Bell, and not void a warranty! NOW I have to wait just that much longer.... this is the only disappointment I have!

Stavesacre21
04-25-2005, 01:29 PM
Well, in a rather non-morbid way, it is a lil more pleasent to see that i'm not the only one that's had the CRAZY run around of stupid repairs, spanning over 3 whole weeks to date.

Isn't it funny how the big "W" makes you feel all warm and fuzzy inside when someone severe is broke?! :rotf: Unfortunately, my first break WASN'T under warrenty, and i really had to grab my ankles on that one :eek:

On another note, i was away for the weekend, and came back to find out that my SVT certificate I sent away for sat in the rain and snow for 4 days :mad: :mad: :mad:

Safe to say, I called up SVT and requested another to be sent...to which they gladly agreed :D That call was kinda funny though, cause initially the guy that answered the phone didn't sound very friendly at all, BUT once he found out it was a Cobra owner, he seemed to prop right up and become all cheery...it was rather humerus :rotf:

Stavesacre21
05-09-2005, 04:23 PM
Just droppin a line on status again...AAMCO has called me in again tomorrow mornin to check out rumbling in 5th, as well as the shift problems in 1-3. As usual, i'll keep everyone informed.

What's that i smell? Im pretty sure it's another rebuilt T45 on the way... :rolleyes:

wish me luck...heaven knows i need it :edmond: :nope:

ausie
05-10-2005, 06:33 AM
The hard shifting may be related to the latching shift quadrant. That is just a guess. When power shifting, the plastic arm tends to bend sideways causing the clutch to remain engaged. That may be more problematic with the 03/04 Cobras. Also, the GM synchromesh fuild is the best on the market and prevents the breakdown of the brass synchros that are housed in each of the shift collers. If you look at the D&D website in association with Tremec, they recommend it.

Stavesacre21
05-11-2005, 11:57 PM
Yea, so i took it to AAMCO and they claimed that it might be the driveshaft being off-balance or not calibrated, and the clutch sounds like it could be a few things. Ends up that they told me that they clucth had air in it (huh...thought it was a cable controlled clutch...:what: and that the 5th gear shake is due to wheel off-balance (they say that wheel weights were not present). Also, they seem to think that they shifter may need changed, so i figured that this would be a good time to buy that MGW I was looking at before. Is that MGW a good buy, anyone?

So next day I took to the tire shop and had them align the steering and balance the tires. Seems as though that did work pretty good and eliminated any really bad shake, but it still vibrates. They told me that around 40MPH they were hearing some sound from the back end. They told me that the tires were worn uneveninly, causing some other vibration. Aside from that, they tried to tell me that the rear differential might be going bad (WHOA...WTF :edmond::scratch: :lurk: :what: :jawdrop: ) SOOOO, i've decided to go back and get the squeeky clutch (probably bad throw-out bearing) fixed and then be HAPPY as long as that fixes the last known issue.

Indeed, i fear that this may almost be the end of my fiasco! :eek: I can only hope :baby: