PDA

View Full Version : DOHC Plugs & Wires

djbobbyzee
03-14-2005, 09:08 AM
Vehicle: 97 SVT Cobra 4.6 32V

Job: Plug & Wires

Any tips I need to know? I've rebuilt a few 5.0's & Chevy 5.7's from the ground up... so bubba ain't no dumby...

It looks pretty straight forward... I mean, all the plugs LOOK easy to get to... RIGHT?????

I plan on divin' in & just GIT ER DUN.

Any tips from the field????

Bob :bounce:

Rodo
03-14-2005, 10:47 AM
Changing those plugs will be a piece of cake! Change them one at a time and you will be fine.:D

Hazman
03-14-2005, 12:22 PM
Well on the '97 you may have to work a little for your cake. It is a whole lot easier to do this if you remove the strut tower brace. You will need at least an 8" extension to get down into those DOHC heads to the plugs. Make sure you put antisieze on the new plugs before installing them. One thing to check is for oil on the plug boots. The the valve cover gaskets aroung those plug wells have a bad habit of seeping oil into the well especially if you are running synthetic oil. Take a picture of the plug wire routing or draw a diagram. Getting them all laid back in nice and neat the way they come from the factory is just loads of fun. If you go with the FRPP 9mm wires which are a great replacement for the stock get some new wire seperators. The stock ones just don't fit those fat 9mm ones too well..

That is all I can think of that is special on these motors. With your experience you will have no problems. Have fun. My 70,00 mile '97 just got new FRPP wires a couple of weeks ago and they made a noticable difference. The engine is smoother now especially on the upper end.

djbobbyzee
03-14-2005, 11:24 PM
Thanks for the heads up...
:thumbsup:

I've ordered a set of MSD wires from Summit Racing. I've always used MSD as a rule either on circle track, drag, & street vehicles...so I opted to stick with a brand I've worked for years. MSD makes an exact fit for the 4.6 DOHC Cobra. FRRP did cross my mind but I went with my gut & stuck with what I knew.

I'll keep y'all posted on this weekends project.

Also going on the car is a CAI & new rubber. The CAI s/b in the same box w/ the plug wires... A "tire guy" across the street picked up a set of Visa 245/45's for me for the front. I bought the car w/ Visa's & they took forever to wear down. $90 for the semi used set, couldn't be passed up. On the rear I'm going with NEW Falken 275/40's (spend the money where it's REALLY needed, where the horeses meet the ground).

Risky, but if the fronts suck... It bought me some time to save the $$$.

Keep ya updated.

bolt-on
03-15-2005, 08:12 PM
I use a piece of rubber hose that will grip the top of the spark plug to get the spark plugs started. With the spark plug located so far down in the cylinder head it can be a little tricky getting it started without cross threading. With the rubber hose, if the spark plug is not threading properly, you will not be able to generate enough torque to damage threads in the aluminum cylinder head.

djbobbyzee
03-15-2005, 10:33 PM
With the rubber hose, if the spark plug is not threading properly, you will not be able to generate enough torque to damage threads in the aluminum cylinder headark plugs started. With the spark plug located so far down in the cylinder head i.

Bolt-on... thanks for the tip. Awesome idea. Buried in my tools, I have a hand torquing plug tool that works much the same way. Rubber end the plug fits in, twist the top to thread. Wouldn't have even bothered with it.

You's guy's are the greatest! Now I just have to wait for the package to arrive.

PS: Cobra got new sneakers! WOW does it grip!

Abneriel
03-16-2005, 08:39 PM
I use a piece of rubber hose that will grip the top of the spark plug to get the spark plugs started. With the spark plug located so far down in the cylinder head it can be a little tricky getting it started without cross threading. With the rubber hose, if the spark plug is not threading properly, you will not be able to generate enough torque to damage threads in the aluminum cylinder head.
I actually changed out my plugs/wires today and used this method...it worked very well and I had no problems at all