PDA

View Full Version : I think I fuggered something up

edswhite99
03-25-2005, 01:09 PM
Well I took the snake on its maiden voyage after finishing up the h pipe and catback install and it sounds damn good. However, she isn't running that well. She feels like she lost some power. It is especially noticeable in 4th and 5th. In 5th before the install she went from 75-100 in about 8 secs in 5th gear. Today, she took almost 12 secs and it felt like she didn't want to go past 100. So, what did i screw up?:mad:

edswhite99
03-25-2005, 01:38 PM
I forgot to mention that I had the battery disconnected while doing the install.

Xaqcraw4d
03-25-2005, 04:16 PM
Do you have those Mil eliminators on yet? You might also check your O2 sensors. One of mine conveniently died when I did the swap.

edswhite99
03-25-2005, 09:15 PM
Mil's are on. I haven't had any lights come on yet. How would I know if a sensor went bad?

sssvtcobra
03-26-2005, 10:25 AM
I know when one of my sensors was bad, you could shake it and hear the porcelin (spelling) inside rattling. It also matters what side you put the MIL's on, due to the pigtails. Check to see if you have them on the right side and on all the way. I know these seem stupid things to check for, but been there, and done it so I thougth I would throw those at ya to try.

Hope it helps :thumbsup:

ausie
03-26-2005, 10:26 AM
Either get a scan too, programmer or go to a local parts shop that will scan codes at no cost. You may have a pending code, however I am surprised that the Check Engine light did not come on. If no codes, just drive around a bit, since it may take some time for the ECU to catch up. The flow rate has changed so it may take a bit of time for the A/F and other parameters to adjust. Don't drive it too hard at first incase the A/F has leaned out and you will not be able to hear it ping with the cat-back. 50 miles or so and it should be fine. It may be running rich from the start. The ECU by default usually starts off Rich then it leans out the A/F until pining is detected. It will do that for a short period until it normalizes data used to regulate fuel. You may want to run the AC or defrost so that compressor load can be factored in to the re-learn process. The egr system is also running a re-learn process as well. Once the purged data is regained it should be running fine , or it will light up the check engine light.

edswhite99
03-26-2005, 11:38 AM
Thanks for the info. I'm gonna drive around a bit more today. I got under the car this morning to check for leaks. Everything looked tight and sounded fine. But then again, how prevalent are exhaust leaks at idle? Can you hear them easily or does the engine have to be reved hard?

cobrabitn
03-26-2005, 08:01 PM
Odds are if it is a big enough leak, you will hear it at idle.

edswhite99
03-27-2005, 02:28 AM
What, more or less, should I be listen for? A tick,tick,tick noise or a pssss type of noise?

cobrabitn
03-27-2005, 11:18 AM
pff, pff, pff noise.... :rotf: seriously.