PDA

View Full Version : cold engine oil leak

hdparker
03-25-2005, 04:36 PM
Hi guys..

Posted to the e-mail list, but only got a couple replies.

After an oil change, I drove the cobra for abotu 100 miles. Then it sat for a day, the next day when I started it, there was a horrible oil leak. Then it stopped. Only leaked about 1/2 quart.

Let it set..same thing happened today, and I had time to put it on jack stands. It seemed to be leaking (only when engine is running) from around the adapter for the oil cooler, and perhaps the filter. So, I changed the filter, and it quit.

The question is: have any of you experienced this? Could it be a 'bad' oil filter (motorcraft), or a gasket/sealer around the oil cooler adapter.

Please help..Cobra is sitting till I can figure this out.

THNNAKS...

cobrabitn
03-26-2005, 09:03 PM
Check to see if you have two rubber gaskets on the filter. That sounds like it's the problem. Silly problem but you'd be surprised how many people don't check to make sure the old rubber O-ring gasket is off. :thumbsup:

hdparker
03-26-2005, 09:28 PM
Thanks..I did check that and put a new oil filter on it. It absolutely pumps out!

The SVT dealer thinks it may be in the oil cooler adapter that is on the Cobra.. Never heard of it before, but it is sitting there to try to show another leak. The problem is, if I run the car every day, it doesn't leak..it is only after it sits for awhile.

Definitely an interesting problem..

BOOMER23
03-28-2005, 12:28 PM
I had the exact same problem I mean exactly the same thing i cant help you too much cause i traded the car in when it was having the problem and the dealership that i traded it to told me in a later little get together that they found it ( I played stupid of course) but he said that it was no big deal at all they took it in the shop and it was from what he told me "a little 2 dollar seal around where the filter mates to the block" I am almost sure that is your problem cause mine was just as you are describing. No loss under daily driving but let it sit a week or so and she just pours when you fire it up. Dont sweat it bud no harm at all just run it to the dealership and tell them what you think it is and see what they say If they charge you and arm and a leg get your keys from em punch em in the throat and run like hell!

hdparker
03-28-2005, 05:57 PM
You were absolutely correct. It was the little seal/gasket around the oil cooler adapter. Scared the h*** out of me seeing all the oil just pouring out of the engine! Cost a little over $100 plus oil to take it apart, put it back together, add Mobil 1, degrease, and everything else. Breathing much easier now!!:bounce:

BOOMER23
03-28-2005, 10:19 PM
Glad to hear it went well, sounds like that might be a mid mileage thing for the rest of you 99 guys to watch out for, just for yalls knowledge mine happened at about 55,000 miles so if your starts pouring like a stuck pig dont freak out you havent blown a gasket or anything

cobrabitn
03-28-2005, 11:58 PM
Glad you found the problem Harlan! Awesome diagnosis there Boomer. :thumbsup:

hdparker
04-01-2005, 10:58 AM
Your probably right. This one had 68K on it when it happened. I'll keep it in mind in case any other 99er reports the problem. It is really freaky when your car dumps a quart or oil on the driveway/garage floor!!
:cheers:

64alp
04-01-2005, 02:39 PM
Great timing. I am changing the oil this weekend on my '99 with 45,000 on it. Is the seal on the block or the oil cooler? Anybody have a part number?
Thanks for the help.

hdparker
04-03-2005, 05:51 PM
They said it was the 'oil cooler seal.' There seems to be an adapter between the filter and block. It was there, the way I understood it. Also, when I looked under the car, that's where the oil was coming from.