PDA

View Full Version : Changing out rear brakes

mystksnk_631
03-26-2005, 08:47 PM
Its time for me to replace the rear brakes on the 96. I heard from someone that a "special" tool was required to do the job. If this is true what is the name of this tool.... i want to do this myself but wanted to make sure i had what i needed to do the job. thanks - Russell :cool:

cobrabitn
03-26-2005, 08:58 PM
Go to Autozone and tell them you need the rear brake pad installation kit for your calipers. They should loan it to you for free. :)

mystksnk_631
03-27-2005, 03:13 PM
Are you joking about the loan it for free part?? :doubt: I will ask them though.

cobrabitn
03-27-2005, 03:31 PM
No, why would I joke about that? The have a "loan a tool" service where you pay for the tool on your cc and when you bring it back, they credit your account. It's set up that way so in case someone decides not to bring the tool back, they get charged for it. Go there and get the loaner tool for free and bring it back the next day and you will be alright. :thumbsup:

P.S. If you are an SCMC member, please put your number in your avatar so I know who I am talking to, thanks. Don't forget to sign up on the Mystic Registry too! ;)

mystksnk_631
03-27-2005, 09:47 PM
No, why would I joke about that?
Haha I was unaware that they did that. :D

P.S. If you are an SCMC member, please put your number in your avatar so I know who I am talking to, thanks. Don't forget to sign up on the Mystic Registry too! ;)
I'm not a SCMC member as of yet, the main reason why is because i'm not sure if i'm going to be keeping the cobra or not.. being a college student and making the payments is getting harder.... but I am signed up at the mystic registry. thanks for your help.

johnbasf
03-27-2005, 11:29 PM
http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/Displayitem.taf?itemnumber=40732

Lumpydogs
03-28-2005, 09:22 AM

I have used loaner tools from Autozone before without problems.
However, I have always lived by the theory if I have to borrow a tool
more than once, I need to buy it.

Johnbasf, Here's my dumb question for today. Is it save to assume that
the linked brake tool from Harbor Freight works on the Cobra brakes?

I need to do my brakes right now and I prefer to do my own work. Learning
as I go. $39 seems like a decent investment price to me. :thumbsup:

johnbasf
03-28-2005, 11:54 AM
I have used loaner tools from Autozone before without problems.
However, I have always lived by the theory if I have to borrow a tool
more than once, I need to buy it.

Johnbasf, Here's my dumb question for today. Is it save to assume that
the linked brake tool from Harbor Freight works on the Cobra brakes?

I need to do my brakes right now and I prefer to do my own work. Learning
as I go. $39 seems like a decent investment price to me. :thumbsup:

Works like a charm. I did my rear brakes countless times when I used to race. :thumbsup:

Lumpydogs
03-28-2005, 09:56 PM
OK so I have not done my brakes yet, but... Why don't you need a special
tool for the front brakes?

Sorry for the dumb questions but almost everything I know about cars I
have learned in the past four years working on my Cobra.

I am a :baby: mechanic.

johnbasf
03-28-2005, 10:17 PM
You don't need to turn the front pistons in like you do the rears. :thumbsup:

wrenchturner
03-29-2005, 01:26 AM
You don't need to turn the front pistons in like you do the rears. :thumbsup:
you just need a big assed set of channel locks and one of the old brake pads to push in the 2 pistons at the same time :0 and yes thats how the mechanics do it..... LMAO

Lumpydogs
03-29-2005, 11:58 AM
Thanks Again !

mystksnk_631
03-29-2005, 06:21 PM
Hey John, how long does it usually take this company to ship, Autozone and o'reily were no help to me.. Thanks- Russell

johnbasf
03-29-2005, 07:35 PM
I would say a few days. Give them a shout and see. The tool saves a ton of time and knuckle damage.

**** open the bleeder on the rear caliper when turning in the piston.

64alp
03-30-2005, 12:16 PM
That is a nice tool from Harbor. I have purchased alot from them in the past. I have always been able to use a big C clamp for other disk brake jobs and the old pad. A few turns and the new ones are ready to place. You do need a flat surface on the outer side of the caliper or I have used a block of wood if the surface isnt totaly flat.
Just my 2c

Xaqcraw4d
03-30-2005, 12:56 PM
O'Reilly's carries one...at least thats where I got mine. They keep it on the tool aisle. I forget the name on the package, but the package itself was red/white and the tool looks like a little brass cube with holes in each side to put in a 3/8 drive ratchet. I think it ran me about $10.