PDA

View Full Version : Engine miss/spudder/jolt

Stavesacre21
03-29-2005, 10:10 PM
UNBELIEVABLE the turn of events my Cobra has throw at me lately!! If you don't remember right, i recently had to have a WHOLE tranny and clutch replaced...so i'm not in the best of mood as is

Well, JUST got it out of the tranny shop today, drove it around for about 50 miles, and then i started to notice that the car was starting to spudder/miss in 2nd gear. Eventually, it's become noticable in ALL gears, and SUPER obvious when in 4th of 5th gear. Any acceleration in all gears causes a small jolt/spuddle/miss. I thought it was due to bad gas (from storage) and added a half tank of 93 octane...still doing it. As of now, it can barely even cruise without misses/spudders/jolts.

Also, as an added bonus, it throws a check engine light. My car is starting to get me preturbed now. :mad:

I have a funny feeling that it's a plug/plugwire deal, so i'm gonna get the codes read tomorrow morning at autozone. If it's a misfire, i'm just gonna replace em all anyway. However, I have a good question for you all.

Bosch makes plugwires we can get for our Cobra, but it's around $160...however, it comes with a lifetime warrenty! Would this be a good buy? Is there a catch? Would a set of MSD's be a better idea?

I'm pretty sure i'm gonna go with Autolites for plugs, but if I were to go with any type of platinum, what would be a good brand?

My car is really starting to get the best of me....and with over a week of being down, and over $2K invested in fixes, im hoping to nail this problem on the head.

Anyone's thoughts on the causes or replacements is VERY welcome, and wanted! :)

tazzracing1
03-29-2005, 11:55 PM
Well sorry to here the bad news, I would go with ngk or go with iriduim they actually provide a better spark and I know you can feel the difference. I'm not sure about the plug wires They are really both great quality.

johnbasf
03-30-2005, 12:30 AM
This may sound strange but take it back to the tranny shop. Tell them to make sure the speed sensing wires are hooked up properly on the tranny. If the computer doesn't "see" the car moving it will cut timing. It's worth a shot. :thumbsup:

ausie
03-30-2005, 07:47 AM
This may sound strange but take it back to the tranny shop. Tell them to make sure the speed sensing wires are hooked up properly on the tranny. If the computer doesn't "see" the car moving it will cut timing. It's worth a shot. :thumbsup:
:eek: Is that for real? I learn something every day. Thanks for that info.

As for plug wires, go with MSD wires. As for plugs, Irridiums are probably the best plug NGK or Denso. I have used denso in the past and really noticed a difference. I might get some for the 04. :thumbsup:

Stavesacre21
03-30-2005, 12:45 PM
OK, so i went to autozone and got the codes read for free (LoL...ford wanted $80 to do what autozone did for free......can you say legalized crime?!) and they found that it was:

P0301 "misfire cylinder 1".

With that code, i'm thinkin that about the only thing it could be is plugs or wires...does that sound accurate?

So, rather then test the plug then wire, im just replacing them all anyway with Autolite 764 platinums, and i just ordered a set of red MSD wires. Pretty exicted to get the car up and running again! Thanx everyone for all of your help with ALL the problems i've been having!

Greatly appriciated :thumbsup:

Stavesacre21
03-30-2005, 03:29 PM
As for plugs, Irridiums are probably the best plug NGK or Denso.Yea, i looked these up and....:jawdrop: WOW...maybe it's just me, but spending almost $100 for spark plugs seems a little UNBELIEVABLE...considering that plugs don't make power...:doubt: :what: :lurk:...just sparks...

However, engines do :D

tazzracing1
03-30-2005, 05:52 PM
They do make power and make a difference. I will say they do cost a bit. I know if you shop around or get on old faithful ebay you can get a set for around $45.00 I really hope your car is running good had mine out for a little while watching the weather closely you know how the weather is around here this time of year.:)

Stavesacre21
03-30-2005, 06:25 PM
They do make power and make a difference.

I really hope your car is running good had mine out for a little while watching the weather closely you know how the weather is around here this time of year.:)
hmm...the physics don't really agree with that...:lurk:

As for the weather....today was in the 70s!!! It was SOO nice out...too bad my snake was paralized :mad: Only getting me MORE pumped!

tazzracing1
03-30-2005, 06:39 PM
I had mine out today and it was the first time, I have ever been heard it from the outside, not very loud inside but very loud outside. I hope to hear good news on your Cobra soon. The weather here today was 68:cool: I really enjoyed not being held captive by the winter weather.

ausie
04-01-2005, 07:42 AM
Codes for miss-fire: helps you identify the problem cylinder, however, that does not mean a spark plug fault or wire issue but that will be the leading cause for it. Another component may be at fault too such as the fuel injector for that cylinder. Check the connections to that fuel injector. I already had a similar problem with my ford Explorer, but found it was a squirrel that chewed through the wire harness and left a walnut where the connector used to be. If the codes re-appear, it is the fuel injector or electrcal connection to it.

dewone
04-01-2005, 08:25 AM
At least he left you a walnut. He didn't just dine and dash.

tcrews
04-01-2005, 09:19 AM
You are correct, plugs don't make the power, the engine does. Anyone wanting to believe that a sparkplug is going to give them extra HP well, there's one born everyday :) If your plug is of good quality and firing properly you'll make all the power you can make.

Get some new wires (my car was doing the same and replacing the wires did the trick) and I'd just go with some Autolite 764 COPPPER plugs. Platinum plugs were designed for longevity (100,000 mile changes) while copper will conduct better. At around $1.00 a plug you can't go wrong.

Yea, i looked these up and....:jawdrop: WOW...maybe it's just me, but spending almost $100 for spark plugs seems a little UNBELIEVABLE...considering that plugs don't make power...:doubt: :what: :lurk:...just sparks...

However, engines do :D

Stavesacre21
04-01-2005, 10:59 PM
Well, changed it all up today, and popped the old wire and plug out of cylinder 1.....no arcing on the wire, BUT something didn't look right...at all. I go to measure the gap, and hmm.....it's equivalent to almost .095 :eek: !! As you could imagine, this was my problem, but how it happened.....NO IDEA!

As for the platinum plugs...I thought about the coppers, but thought that it couldn't hurt to pop the platinums in there anyway....plus i didn't really read bout the copper till now :p and I'm NOT even about the remove them and do it all again :rotf: I'm content with that!

Engine purrs beautifully now, and runs like a top....no shudders or anything of the sort :thumbsup:

Thanx guys...you rock :cool:

Onto the next (last problem) :rolleyes:

Stavesacre21
04-01-2005, 11:56 PM
Oh yea, and just so i make it feel like half my day wasn't a waste:

Before and After :thumbsup:

djbobbyzee
04-02-2005, 01:35 AM
GIT - R - DUN!!!!
She looks good. Can't WAIT to get mine on!
Let me know how that strut tower thing works out for ya... lookin' forward to letting you be my guinny pig. ;)

Ausie, what year Explorer & motor do you have? My fiancee is force-feeding me to "do mine too." When I do my plugs & wires, I have to do hers on the Explorer. I used to have a 96 5.0L, I'm hoping the 4.0L is easier (want to spend the day on MY car, not hers). Call me selfish. :doubt:

See y'all tomorrow.

Stavesacre21
04-02-2005, 01:43 AM
GIT - R - DUN!!!!
She looks good. Can't WAIT to get mine on!
Let me know how that strut tower thing works out for ya... lookin' forward to letting you be my guinny pig. ;)
Lemme tell ya....those wires are a BEAST to try and bundle nicely! Most of them around about 2 inches longer then stock, so that doesn't help...then runnin the wires is like trying to complere a rubics cube :p

As for the strut brace, it went back on with very minimal problems for me. Granted that I have a completely stock car, but it really wasn't an issue with me. Oddly enough, the worst part of putting it back on was trying to screw those bolts back into there with the correct thread alignment....one of mine stripped the starting thread :eek: so I had to dremel off the end and was lucky enough to get it to start the second time around! :thumbsup: Steady, patient hands, my friend!

Hope yur installation goes as smooth as mine did, and keep me posted on yur strut tower brace situation! :bounce:

ausie
04-02-2005, 09:38 AM
Ausie, what year Explorer & motor do you have? My fiancee is force-feeding me to "do mine too." When I do my plugs & wires, I have to do hers on the Explorer. I used to have a 96 5.0L, I'm hoping the 4.0L is easier (want to spend the day on MY car, not hers). Call me selfish. :doubt:

I have a 96 Exploder 4.0L . Changing plugs on that thing is not a pleasureable task. The 4.0L motor is a small thing when compared to the 4.6L DOHC on the Cobra. Expect to spend all day on it. The plugs are below the headers which almost forces you to remove the front tires and splash gards to get to the plugs. It is almost impossible to get to them from the top of the motor. When I had the problem with it I tried to get the plug out from the top which is when I noticed the bright copper bits and chewed wire harness. It is funny when I look back at it now. It took me almost 2 hours to repair it since I had to cut open the remaining part of the wire harness to get enough wire out to create a splice.

djbobbyzee
04-04-2005, 10:03 AM
Staves... well, weather & time permitting... next weekend is my estimated project start time. I'll take some pics & post em when finished.

ausie... thanks for the heads up. I had a 5.0L 96 Explorer so I expect no ease in use on the 4.0L. Is the 4.0L gap .052-.056 as well for the 4.0L?

I was originally pleading my case for permission to head to the Autofair this weekend & got shot down for previously made 'yard work plans' & Wilmington Azallia Festival this coming weekend. I'm thinking I may atleast be able to weasle my way out of yard work with 'garage work' if I work both vehicles.

No joy in the world greater than being under the hood of a Cobra, other than being behind the wheel of one.

Enjoy the week!
Bobby