PDA

View Full Version : MSR- April 2nd & 3rd

Bingo13
03-30-2005, 07:49 PM
Will anyone be attending the Driver's Edge event this weekend at MSR?
I am debuting the FrankenFour this weekend and might need a ride home after the first session. :D

jimmysidecarr
03-31-2005, 12:03 AM
HOLY CRAP!!
Bingo are you running an SVO Turbo???

Those cars are SICK!!!

What a cool track car!!!

So much lighter that a Terminator!!!

Are you running 5 lug Terminator/Cobra brakes???

Totally curious!!!

With just a few strategic mods that car could be sooo NASTY!!!

Do TELL!!!!

Jimmy :eek:

Bingo13
03-31-2005, 05:51 PM
HOLY CRAP!!
Bingo are you running an SVO Turbo???

Those cars are SICK!!!

What a cool track car!!!

So much lighter that a Terminator!!!

Are you running 5 lug Terminator/Cobra brakes???

Totally curious!!!

With just a few strategic mods that car could be sooo NASTY!!!

Do TELL!!!!

Jimmy :eek:

I have a '85.5 SVO now. The car is setup with a complete MM suspension package as of this past weekend. I am running the stock 5 lug four wheel disc setup but with Stillen rotors/pads/lines.

The engine has been rebuilt and a few modifications found their way into the engine compartment. I still have more tuning to accomplish but it made 252/338 (22psi) at the dyno today with some 100 octane assistance. The short block is setup to handle 450hp (funny thing is it only took upgraded rings/gaskets/studs/balancing as everything stock is forged) but without spending a fortune on a fmic, fuel system, t3/4 turbo, etc., and SDS management system the best I can hope for would be around 290hp on race gas. I figure with 93 octane (18psi) the car is good for around 235/310, will dyno again after replacing the TFI module and alternator today. I am getting some fuel starvation up top so I plan on being at a pick-n-pull session to find a '94~95 65mm GT throttle body next week. I am amazed at what a few hundred dollars in parts and junk yard specials has accomplished with this car.

The car with a full tank of gas and less my big fat white arse came in at 2988lbs this week. The car is fully optioned with leather and all power also.

This car was 15 years ahead of its time and if they had sold close to the original forecast there would have been 300hp stock DOHC versions starting in 1987. There are three Ford DOHC heads in the wild right now with only one being in the hands of a current owner.

I really like the car, still feels like a 20 year old FoxBody but it is a fun and tossable car on the road. :thumbsup:

jimmysidecarr
03-31-2005, 08:19 PM
Very cool!!!
I used to have an 84 Thunderbird Turbo coupe(as you know no intercooler on these)...

So I have always been a big fan of the 2.3 turbo cars!!!

I remember reading "back in the day" that the upper limit for the stock connecting rods was somewhere around 350 hp(crank)...

Do be careful if you are in that neighborhood...

That is old information so it may not be correct...

But a friend back in Syracuse had an 84 Mustang GT350 Turbo 2.3 that was raping all the 5.0 cars in our area(lotta boost!!!)... until he bent a connecting rod that is :( ...

He was supposedly right at or above the 350HP mark...

I hope I'm wrong about this...

Cool project though anyway you slice it!!!! :flag: :cheers: :hail: :fordflag:

An MM equiped SVO as just -->got<-- to be a freaking blast to drive!!!!
Jimmy :thumbsup:

Bingo13
03-31-2005, 09:28 PM
Very cool!!!
I used to have an 84 Thunderbird Turbo coupe(as you know no intercooler on these)...

I remember reading "back in the day" that the upper limit for the stock connecting rods was somewhere around 350 hp(crank)...

Do be careful if you are in that neighborhood...

An MM equiped SVO as just -->got<-- to be a freaking blast to drive!!!!

The block has Crower rods in it along with a full balance/blueprint, shot peened internals, and full teflon coating on the lower assemblies. I will get a track pan with baffles on the next spending spree or maybe one will be in the junk yard. I never realized how many sprint cars used the built 2.3 engines, found some interesting pieces off of them so far.

I always loved the '87~88 TC coupes, almost bought one but ended up with a BMW 325is at the time.

:cheers:

jimmysidecarr
03-31-2005, 09:44 PM
The Crower rods are killer!!! That is what my friend went with when he rebuilt and that motor never did fail!

Is the SVO converted to MM torque arm also???

I would imagine a Fox that light and well balanced would just be sick with all those MM goodies in there too!!!

I'm dying to see you run this thing!!!

I'm saving up for some open track fun later in the year...

I will try to make one you are at!!!

Bingo13
04-01-2005, 10:09 AM
Is the SVO converted to MM torque arm also???

I would imagine a Fox that light and well balanced would just be sick with all those MM goodies in there too!!!

I'm dying to see you run this thing!!!

I'm saving up for some open track fun later in the year...

I will try to make one you are at!!!

No torque arm, still have the 7.5" rear end in it. I will be adding a panhard bar to the car.

I am dying to see it run also. :D I will have to learn how to drive again after dealing with the plowing white whale.

I will get killed at TWS but figure the car can stay up with the Cobras at MSR or Hallett.

I look forward to seeing you. :thumbsup:

Firme
04-01-2005, 10:25 AM
NICE Gary :thumbsup: sounds awesome

I miss my 79 Pace Car 2.3 Turbo :bawling: nimble little thing, maybe one day I will get a crack at adding another 2.3 turbo to the stable.

Bingo13
04-01-2005, 11:52 AM
NICE Gary :thumbsup: sounds awesome

I miss my 79 Pace Car 2.3 Turbo :bawling: nimble little thing, maybe one day I will get a crack at adding another 2.3 turbo to the stable.

I had a '80 2.3 T(silver over black with the orange/red striping), Ford replaced the engine twice in the first year. I sold it before the 12k warranty was up. They finally got all of the problems ironed out when the EFI 2.3T was released for '84 (some made it in summer '83 cars) after rightly being killed in early '82.

I found a '84 Turbo GT 20th anniversary edition last week that had a full Esslinger Racing setup in it. I wish I could have wrote a check for it but had to pass. I tried to sell my wife's car and one of the kids but was still short. :D

I love driving the car, feels like a Miata with some B@lls after getting the suspension tuned.

You could add some Nitrous to your car, blow it up at Slaters,and then have an excuse to buy one.

Firme
04-01-2005, 12:07 PM
You could add some Nitrous to your car, blow it up at Slaters,and then have an excuse to buy one.

"I don't care who you are, thats funny right der" :rotf:

Admiral
04-05-2005, 07:20 AM
So, how'd the car do? I've never driven MSR clockwise, how was it? I'm going to try and be at TWS on 4/30 if I can get the car ready by then.

Andy M
04-05-2005, 08:18 AM
So, how'd the car do? I've never driven MSR clockwise, how was it? I'm going to try and be at TWS on 4/30 if I can get the car ready by then.Mike,

Joe and I did MSR clockwise about a year or so ago with Drivers Edge. I like it ALOT in that direction. It sure is different!! :thumbsup:

I have some in car video of Joe and I running in the red group. It was our last session on Saturday and we passed the entire field of cars. Boy, sure was fun!! Big Bend takes on a whole new meaning running that direction!!! :bounce: :bounce: :bounce:

Admiral
04-05-2005, 09:59 AM
Andy, long time no see. I bet everything is substantially different, Ricochet? What about Horseshoe, how in the world do you do that thing while dropping off about 8 feet? Hard for my feeble mind to grasp!

Hope to see you and Joe at at track event soon, maybe the SVTOA deal at TWS?

Andy M
04-05-2005, 11:01 AM
Andy, long time no see. I bet everything is substantially different, Ricochet? What about Horseshoe, how in the world do you do that thing while dropping off about 8 feet? Hard for my feeble mind to grasp!

Hope to see you and Joe at at track event soon, maybe the SVTOA deal at TWS?

Yep!! The horseshoe is a WHOLE LOTTA pucker factor~!! :eek: :eek: :eek: You come around that big double apex turn a full speed and realize you are now coming downhill for the right hander... and if you miss it, you are heading straight for the lake!!! :eek: :eek: :eek:

I am planning on instructing at the SVTOA event in June at TWS if they need me. Otherwise, I am probably still going to try to make it anyway.

Hey, why don't you come with us to Autobahn in Chicago in May??.... SVTOA event at a new track up there. Should be BIG fun!! Lots and lots of cars already registered. So many, they have opened up a third day on Friday.

later...

Bingo13
04-05-2005, 07:11 PM
So, how'd the car do? I've never driven MSR clockwise, how was it? I'm going to try and be at TWS on 4/30 if I can get the car ready by then.

The car did fine. I was amazed at how well the car behaved once I figured out how to drive it properly (wish I could have had more seat time). I have some fine tuning to do with the turbo boost setup and the car is underbraked now. My only solution for brakes is to install a front SN95 setup and change to a 17" wheel setup, neither of which I want to do. There were some 12" Crown Victoria (PI) front disc setups that will work on the stock control arms that I am trying to hunt down now.

I love MSR clockwise, it was the way I learned how to drive on the course. I have never felt comfortable in a car going counter-clockwise on that track. I finally have a car that I can take out there and toss around without worrying too much. It is not as smooth as the M3 nor as fast as the Cobra but it is a lot more fun. The car forces you to be a better driver and the good Lord knows I need it. :thumbsup: