PDA

View Full Version : Spark Plug Gap

djbobbyzee
03-31-2005, 11:35 AM
About to install the new plugs & wires this weekend.

97 SVT Cobra

Any suggestions about Gapping? Will a sligtly elongated gap over OEM specs be beneficial?

Stavesacre21
03-31-2005, 12:10 PM
It seems that all i've heard about ever since I got my Cobra was the .054 gap for spark plugs. It certainly seems to be tried and true, so i'm pretty sure it's gonna be your best bet. I'm thinkin that that is the OEM standard, although when I was out and looking about, one book instructed me to use a .050 gap (???). Not gapping accordinginly could give you small engine problems, not to mention worse gas mileage. I'd stick with yur gut and gap to the standard .054

I'm with ya on the plug and wire change....as of this moment, UPS should be here any minute with my wires, then it's off to change um out! :thumbsup:

Outta curiosity though....which plugs and wires did you go with?

I went with Autolite Platinum plugs and MSG (red) wires

tazzracing1
03-31-2005, 06:23 PM
Increasing the gap will not gain you really anything and may actually cause damage.

tcrews
04-01-2005, 09:22 AM
Stock gap should be .054

djbobbyzee
04-01-2005, 10:01 AM
Thank you gentlemen for the replies! My gut was to go with the .054, but I once read somewhere over gapping (slightly) will burn more of the fuel in the chamber. I did it on my old big block T/A (cough, choke, skeleton in closet) & it helped a tad at higher RPMs.

I wanted too feel out my bretheren 4.6 DOHC Aluminum head owners, before I 'dun gone & melted' engine parts. .054 IT IS!

Staves: similar setup here. BOSCH Platinum w/ MDS Red Wires. We'll have to meet up one day & admire our similar wire setup!

tscrews: Where in SC are ya? I've got to be in Charleston next month for a friend's wedding. I would love to take a gander at the Supercharged 97.

As for my next question, removal & reinstallation of strut tower bar... I'm going to post another thread for it. Personal belief, if someone else is looking to do the same work & they may find the information in the replies as beneficial as I do.

Thanks again!
Bobby

tcrews
04-06-2005, 12:04 PM
tscrews: Where in SC are ya? I've got to be in Charleston next month for a friend's wedding. I would love to take a gander at the Supercharged 97.

Bobby
I'm in Columbia (center of the state). The supercharged Cobra is down right now, looking at doing some more upgrades.

Why Try?
04-19-2005, 12:16 PM
I'm in Columbia (center of the state). The supercharged Cobra is down right now, looking at doing some more upgrades.
TSCREWS, i didnt know you were that close, I'm in Sumter, SC (well now im in Cyprus, TDY) ill be back in sumter in August but only for 9 days till im out of the Air Force, would love to see that Cobra of yours!!!

tcrews
04-19-2005, 12:22 PM
Sure thing....

ausie
05-02-2005, 07:50 AM
A quick look at the catylist sticker should indicate the spark plug gap. That is assuming that it is still readable. It is located on the radiator cover. If you do not have one, it is also spelled out in the manual. Also, the 0.050-0.054 gap should only be used for a stock motor. When power adders are on the car a shorter gap may be needed to reduce plasma (spark) blow-out, or if you are using Irridium plugs which require 0.035 - 0.045. Do not over gap plugs as that may lead to mis-fire or worse. Also, do not gap standard plugs to short either as the spark will tend to weaken.