PDA

View Full Version : 96/97 Strut Twr Bar: Removal & Re-Installation

djbobbyzee
04-01-2005, 09:08 AM
Next question for the field of experts:

To get at the plugs (or install a Cold Air Intake, or do plenum work, or ANY major motor wor).... a Cobra owner must first remove (easy) & then RE-INSTALL the strut tower bar (stock or aftermarket).

As you begin to remove it... the chassis of course begins to flex inward. This is especially true on lowered Cobras such as my own. Thus causing the bolt holes to misalign from the mounting brackets & bolts on the strut tower bar.

(yes, I learned this the hard way when installing my bbk cold air intake)

Jacking up the front end at certain points helps. The chassis of the car flexes outward & allows you to re-align the strut tower bar. Does anyone have tips on where to place the jack... more importantly, where NOT to place the jack?

All the 411 helps!

Stavesacre21
04-01-2005, 09:23 AM
So funny......because i've just recently experienced the exact same thing :rotf: cept I wasn't smart enough to think that the car would relax once the brace was off! Bummer that you have to take that brace off to change the plugs out!

Sorry I'm not really able to shine anymore light on the subject, but the little you've mentioned does sound like it'll be helpful today! Thanx for the tip on the jack....push comes to shove, i'll have an idea where to go from here! :thumbsup:

Hazman
04-01-2005, 10:53 AM
Place the jack under the skid plate and raise it just enough to get the holes to line up. That is how I got mine back in.
Once you have it back together have a set of Maximum Motorsports sub frame connectors welded in and you won't have that problem the next time. :D

Per Tom Gentry

"Life is too short for a flexible snake!"

djbobbyzee
04-01-2005, 10:56 PM
Stavesacre... yeah, glad I have Craftsman tools. I returned 2 busted screw drivers from trying to force-feed the re-alignment. Then it hit me... JACK.

Hazman... thanks for the heads up. With it 1" down below OEM, I have the fun task of double jacking. First under the jack point, to get it high enough to fit the second jack under the skid plate.

Next project is Subframe & Rear Swaybar.

Staves... keep me posted on your plug situation.

Stavesacre21
04-01-2005, 11:37 PM
DJ: finished and have some pics....check it out!

http://www.svtcobraclub.com/forums/showthread.php?t=9132

Love the red wires! :D :D :D

oh yea, and the problem was a spark plug that was somehow gapped to .095 (WTF?!?!) How was the engine even running this long?!