PDA

View Full Version : lowering the cobra HELP

Cobra4me
04-01-2005, 09:00 PM
Just won some intrax lowering springs from Ebay. Intrax claims to lower 2" front and rear. I will not and cannot put these on the Cobra until I am sure that it is done correctly. What needs to go on with these springs. I have done some research (some). Should I install a 3or 4 camber/caster plate? Should I get the bumsteer kit? New struts and shocks. If I have to I will buy all that is needed one thing at a time until I know the job will done right. I don't want to regret lowering the Cobra so I need help from your experiences. thanks in advance for your help.

Robk

sssvtcobra
04-02-2005, 01:13 PM
I don't know everything about suspensions, but I've been trying to do my homework. So I will try to shed some light your way. Hope this info helps ya, if not sorry :(

You will definately want to buy some caster/camber plates, I suggest getting maximum motorsports plates. I have them on my cobra and they are easy to put on and alot of adjustment to them. Bumpsteer kit is not a must have, but it would help a little. New shocks and struts would help out handling and ride quality. Plus they would probably give better support when using aftermarket springs.

Lumpydogs
04-03-2005, 12:45 PM
Some Cobras can still achieve proper alignment without CC plates after
being lowered 1.5". A full 2" drop will probably required CC plates. I also
recommend the Maximum Motorsports plates. The stock strut and shock
package will work but not at optimum performance. Additionally the
stock package will wear out sooner on a lowered car. Struts and Shocks can be changed out whenever. They are easy and unrelated to the springs.

If you don't already have them, you will want (need) sub-frame connectors.
The Cobra chassis has a lot of flex. On a lowered car this causes each and
every curb (at least in Michigan) to bottom out and scrap. My Cobra
is dropped 1.5", after installing the Kenny Brown sub-frame connectors I
no longer scrap going in and out of my driveway. I have read that the
bumpsteer kit is a must, but I don't have it and have not noticed a
bumpsteer problem. You might also consider offset steering rack bushings
and shorter front sway bar end links. You can also decide to replace the rubber spring perch isolators with Polyurethane isolators. The Polyurethane
isolators will be slightly taller and compress less than the stock rubber ones.
This means that instead of a 2" drop you will have a 1.8" drop (???)

I hope this info. helps.

p.s. 2001 Mineral Grey Cobras, Rock!

Cobra4me
04-03-2005, 05:50 PM
Some Cobras can still achieve proper alignment without CC plates after
being lowered 1.5". A full 2" drop will probably required CC plates. I also
recommend the Maximum Motorsports plates. The stock strut and shock
package will work but not at optimum performance. Additionally the
stock package will wear out sooner on a lowered car. Struts and Shocks can be changed out whenever. They are easy and unrelated to the springs.

If you don't already have them, you will want (need) sub-frame connectors.
The Cobra chassis has a lot of flex. On a lowered car this causes each and
every curb (at least in Michigan) to bottom out and scrap. My Cobra
is dropped 1.5", after installing the Kenny Brown sub-frame connectors I
no longer scrap going in and out of my driveway. I have read that the
bumpsteer kit is a must, but I don't have it and have not noticed a
bumpsteer problem. You might also consider offset steering rack bushings
and shorter front sway bar end links. You can also decide to replace the rubber spring perch isolators with Polyurethane isolators. The Polyurethane
isolators will be slightly taller and compress less than the stock rubber ones.
This means that instead of a 2" drop you will have a 1.8" drop (???)

I hope this info. helps.

p.s. 2001 Mineral Grey Cobras, Rock!
wow that is alot of stuff. I am having second thoughts on these springs I don't know if 2' is too much. I don,t to slam the Cobra. I like the aggressive look of lowering but I don't want the car to look like a ricer. What is your thoughts?? by the way thanks to both of your for your input

Robk

NO 5 OH
04-11-2005, 02:20 AM
I would recommend the H@R SuperSports... but since you won the Intrax springs off Ebay that probably isn't an option. I lowered my convertible with H@R SuperSports and it dropped it in the front by well over an inch, probably an inch and a half. You'll definitely need an alignment after that if the drop the Intrax springs states is correct.

I too recommend the Maximum Motorsports caster/camber plates. These plates are top notch and in my opinion the best on the market. Everything else is basically a copy. The only design they offer for the 94 up cars is the four bolt design... so you have to drill an extra hole for the plates.

The springs, camber plates etc. are not that bad of an install... I did these myself on my own car and would be more than willing to help out. I'm immediately local to you as well... I'm surprised we haven't met up somewhere in town before.

Hope this helps,

Shannon

Cobra4me
04-12-2005, 01:50 AM
I would recommend the H@R SuperSports... but since you won the Intrax springs off Ebay that probably isn't an option. I lowered my convertible with H@R SuperSports and it dropped it in the front by well over an inch, probably an inch and a half. You'll definitely need an alignment after that if the drop the Intrax springs states is correct.

I too recommend the Maximum Motorsports caster/camber plates. These plates are top notch and in my opinion the best on the market. Everything else is basically a copy. The only design they offer for the 94 up cars is the four bolt design... so you have to drill an extra hole for the plates.

The springs, camber plates etc. are not that bad of an install... I did these myself on my own car and would be more than willing to help out. I'm immediately local to you as well... I'm surprised we haven't met up somewhere in town before.

Hope this helps,

Shannon Thanks Shannon
I don't know why we haven't seen each other either. With that awesome ride of yours I know it would be you when I see ya. I haven't seen any Cobras in the Hickory/ Granite Falls area. 1 question about the springs. What do you think about the Steeda caster/camber plates? I know we can get a discount from Steeda. That was the reason I looked at them. Is there a vendor that sells the MM plates that can give me a club discount??
Robbie K

Butcher
04-12-2005, 02:34 AM
Just won some intrax lowering springs from Ebay. Intrax claims to lower 2" front and rear. I will not and cannot put these on the Cobra until I am sure that it is done correctly. What needs to go on with these springs. I have done some research (some). Should I install a 3or 4 camber/caster plate? Should I get the bumsteer kit? New struts and shocks. If I have to I will buy all that is needed one thing at a time until I know the job will done right. I don't want to regret lowering the Cobra so I need help from your experiences. thanks in advance for your help.

Robk
Just won some intrax lowering springs from Ebay. Intrax claims to lower 2" front and rear. I will not and cannot put these on the Cobra until I am sure that it is done correctly. What needs to go on with these springs. I have done some research (some). Should I install a 3or 4 camber/caster plate?
The 4 bolt.
The Bumpsteer? What are your intentions with this car?
Struts and shocks? - This is a gimmie.
Again, depends on your intentions. With a 2004 Cobra, everything, and I mean EVERYTHING is relative. You can spend money in the right direction, or piss it off doing other things achieving the end result.

Jimmie

Cobra4me
04-12-2005, 03:50 AM
Jimmie the main reason is for improved looks. I hate the amount of space in the fenderwells. So that being said it is mainly cosmetics. But I still want to do the springs but I want to do it correctly. Which I know is going to cost some bucks.

Robbie K

sssvtcobra
04-12-2005, 06:34 AM
Rob,

I got I all my maximum motorsports from Brads performance. They are a vendor and they sell MM stuff. I think it's a 15% discount. They are located in Seattle, WA. I plan on ordering some stuff from them this week :D

NO 5 OH
04-12-2005, 11:44 PM
Thanks Shannon
I don't know why we haven't seen each other either. With that awesome ride of yours I know it would be you when I see ya. I haven't seen any Cobras in the Hickory/ Granite Falls area. 1 question about the springs. What do you think about the Steeda caster/camber plates? I know we can get a discount from Steeda. That was the reason I looked at them. Is there a vendor that sells the MM plates that can give me a club discount??
Robbie K

Oh you'd know it if you saw it. Rather... you'd probably "hear" it long before I ever came into view ;);)

The Steeda plates are pretty nice... but I wouldn't waste my time/money on their older 3 bolt design. The aluminum ones are pretty nice but they're more expensive than the MM units. I didn't know that Brad's Performance offered MM stuff... that's good for me to know as well :) Houston Peformance offers MM products, as well as Wild Horse Racing here on the boards. Brad's would probably be the best choice I'd say.

Struts/shocks would be something that would be needed... but you could get away with not having them right at the moment, unless you wanted to do it all at one time. Again... I can help you do any or all of the stuff above you were wanting to do... and my labor rates are really reasonable :D

Shannon