PDA

View Full Version : Cleaning the Engine.

NewFoundPower
04-04-2005, 01:44 PM
I would have posted this in the show and shine section but I wanted other 03/04 owners to give the most input. I am getting ready for Autofair this weekend and want to clean up the engine a little bit. What do you guys suggest? What has worked the best for you? Thanks in advance.

-D-

InfamousSVT
04-04-2005, 06:24 PM
I've heard just using a paint brush and soap and water! Sounds kind of silly using a paint brush, but that way you can get into all the little areas. If possible take a leaf blower and air dry it before driving off.

Hope this helps, I'm sure others will chime in and give other ideas!:)

lorahcobra
04-04-2005, 09:44 PM
First, make sure you have a mouth full of spit. Just kidding. :D Mean Green works best, but something like it is almost as good. Make sure your engine is cold.(IMPORTANT!!) Spray down the entire motor and engine bay with hose gun(don't go nuts here, just enough to get the area wet). Take the Mean Green (or Purple Power, etc.) and dilute it 50% with water in a spray bottle (IMPORTANT!!) Spray the mixture liberally everywhere and allow to soak about 5 mins making sure (IMPORTANT) nothing starts to dry out (best not to do this in full sun). :cool: Then rinse off THOROUGHLY (sp.??). Immediately dry COMPLETELY with a leaf blower (IMPORTANT). If you don't have one, borrow or buy one...you'll use it over and over again. This works for our first place trophies! :thumbsup: Then get out toothpicks, toothbrushes, Q-tips, etc if needed...Good luck!! :bounce:

NewFoundPower
04-04-2005, 10:16 PM
Cool, thanks for the replies! Looks like I will be investing in a leaf blower, can't wait to tell this one to the girlfriend.

-D-

Big Daddy
04-04-2005, 10:54 PM
Hell I bought one for the car and I've only used it to blow leaves! :D ;)

NewFoundPower
04-05-2005, 08:25 AM
Probably b/c your car is always in the shop!!

Sorry Greg, I couldn't resist :D.

-D-

HOSTIL1
04-05-2005, 08:53 AM
I use the same soap and water that I use on the body,but I use an extra wash mitt.

First I spray down the engine with very light pressure,just enough to get it wet.Then I just wash everything real good with the wash mitt,then rinse with light water pressure.Then I use compressed air to dry everything good!

Here is the finished product:hail:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v461/HOSTIL1/DSCN2551.jpg

NewFoundPower
04-05-2005, 09:13 AM
Now that is a clean looking engine :cool: ! I have always be rather reluctant to wash my engine for fear of water getting in the wrong place but will give it a try this week. If anything bad happens, I am blaming you guys "They told me to do it". :rotf:

-D-

djbobbyzee
04-05-2005, 09:24 AM
Now that is a clean looking engine :cool: ! I have always be rather reluctant to wash my engine for fear of water getting in the wrong place but will give it a try this week. If anything bad happens, I am blaming you guys "They told me to do it". :rotf:

-D-

:thumbsup:

Tip I got from a detailer: Try Black Magic Tire Foam on the hoses etc. (Keep it off the metal). Spray it on, let it foam, don't wipe it off. Coats the hoses, plug wires, etc w/ silicone & leaves them shiny for weeks.

(It also collects dust & pollen so be sure to was the motor monthly in NC springtime to get that yellow mess off).

Big Daddy
04-05-2005, 02:45 PM
Probably b/c your car is always in the shop!!

Sorry Greg, I couldn't resist :D.

-D-

Nope it's because I own a home! :D ;) Sorry David I couldn't resist! ;) :D

NewFoundPower
04-05-2005, 07:57 PM
Nope it's because I own a home! :D ;) Sorry David I couldn't resist! ;) :D

Yep, you are definitely a natural.:D :rotf:

-D-

ausie
04-06-2005, 07:03 AM
Nice and clean there Hostil1:thumbsup: (was the coolant in the innercooler resivior always green? I am not really sure when Ford started using the g-05 coolant which is yellow but that is what is in mine).

I use the paint brush technique and a bucket of soapy car wash water. I finnaly go to mine this past weekend. A paint brush also works great for cleaning off the underside of the hood too. Use caution with some cleaning solvents, some may contain strong acids that will attack unpainted metals and some plastics including some of the rubber hoses. I only use the simple green or greased lightning to wash off the garage floor after performing an oil change. Nothing worse than a oily floor. Looks like it is time to do it all over again since this weekend is the Mopar madness car show. Have to make it look good since most of those mopar lovers have no idea what a real motor looks like. :D

blk04cobra1
04-06-2005, 08:22 AM
leaf blowers are awesome for drying off the car, my neighbors think im crazy, but hey it really cuts drying time in half plus it gets most of the water out of those little crevices...i'd post a pic of my bay, but it's pretty bad right now...soon enough though she'll be perty again :bounce: