PDA

View Full Version : Tune???

WVSNS&
04-07-2005, 11:22 AM
On the 01, I was going to do a cat-back, have an air intake, is there a preference on the tuning devices. It was suggested to me to go with a superchips model. Has anyone used it? Is it cool? I may also put on newer style heads as I am not sure how comfortable I am with the job of head gasket replacement that has been performed by a local "shop". Any suggestions?

john in va beach

cobrabitn
04-08-2005, 07:30 AM
If that's all the mods you are doing to your car then I would get a computer reflash. You would need a chip when you start installing power adders. :D

Butcher
04-12-2005, 02:41 AM
If that's all the mods you are doing to your car then I would get a computer reflash. You would need a chip when you start installing power adders. :D

Agreed. I have a Predator tuner for sale cheap. Good for a pulley change 200.00, you change the car. ;)

Jimmie

tcrews
04-12-2005, 11:35 PM
With the mods you are looking at I wouldn't even do anything (tune or reflash), you just don't have enough to waste the money.

Now, if you go with '03 Cobra heads you might get something from a reflash tune. You'll also need new exhaust manifolds or aftermarket headers as the exhaust port is shaped differently.

Venom55
04-26-2005, 09:17 PM
i disagree, anything other than the stock tune is better. Predator is good for anything short of power adders. Get that F/A as close to 13 as possible...mine was all over the board until i flashed mine.

tcrews
04-26-2005, 09:48 PM
i disagree, anything other than the stock tune is better. Predator is good for anything short of power adders. Get that F/A as close to 13 as possible...mine was all over the board until i flashed mine.
99% are just about right on the money but if you are having problems like you than a tune would be a good idea. So again, unless you dyno and see that something is wrong with your A/F than a tune isn't worth it until you have a fair amount of mods.

I've seen too many people gain 3-5 hp and almost as many lose 5-10 hp from getting a chip. The ones that made any gains were dyno-tuned which made them even more expensive.

The factory computer is actually pretty good.....unless something is just "off" with your setup.

ausie
05-01-2005, 11:49 AM
The only other alternative other than the 03/04 heads would be the FR500 heads. They do have a higher flow rate than the stock 01 heads. The 03/04 heads if purchased complete will also have different grinds on the cam profiles. The stock intake will fit, but like tcrews has stated, the almost square exhaust ports would not mate up with the 01 headers. If you went that route, FR500 or 03/04 heads would require a re-tune and possibly a dyno tune. One of the issues with the 99/01 is the low torque at lower RPM. There are components out on the market that have different runner arrangements that improve the low RPM torque. Like a head swap or intake plenum change, the cost or bang for buck is high for the small increase in HP/Tq considering a comparison to power adders (superchargers) the cost can be the same or higher. An alternative may be found at SHM (sean hyland motor sports), Rouch, or Saleen which may have modified 4v heads for the 01. Most tuners/flash programmers re-write the A/F curves as well as alter the amount of timming. There are some gains that can be achived but they will not exceed the sum of all parts in the stock form. The limitations are the MAF and the return-less fuel system which puts a maximum cap at or below 400 hp.

tazzracing1
12-04-2005, 08:58 PM
I was wondering if a programmer would be able to help. I tried to reinstall the chip the dealership removed and it set off the theft system.

I only know of these mods so far
1. 2.94 pully
2. after market cats and mufflers
3. cai
4.possible mass air meter