PDA

View Full Version : after hard run, hard to start engine

ausie
04-09-2005, 09:54 AM
Has anyone experienced issues when starting your engine after a hard run? My guess is that the PCV valve is faulty since I can hear a bit of a leak when the engine is running at idle. Either that or it is related to heat soak. Everything is basically stock from the ECU code to the pullies with the exception of the green air filter, air/oil separator on the PCV line and cat-back. Note: it did this prior to installing the air/oil separator so that can be factored out. I will have to check the IAC valve to see if it is dirty but highly doubt it.

sssvtcobra
04-09-2005, 11:01 AM
Every once in awhile my car is hard to start. It's more frequent when it's cold, than warm though. When I turn the key to start it, it takes a few extra cranks before it actually starts.

mlambrecht
04-09-2005, 03:14 PM
I'm pretty sure that the problem with it starting when its cold is the lose of fuel pressure. I just turn the key forward to on for a few seconds and the crank the engine and it has never done it. I don't have my fuel pressure gauge on from my old GT but that was what caused it on my gt.

As for it not starting after a hard run, I wouldn't turn the engine off right after a hard run you want the engine to pump coolant through the heads and let it cool to normal temp before killing the engine. They cool off a lot faster idling than they do turned off.

ausie
04-10-2005, 09:10 AM
I can agree that idle will cool it down to some degree. I have even noticed the same situation just letting the car warm up from a cold start, if I shut it down and restart it will crank but not fire. I have a strong feeling it is the PCV valve since I have replaced it with a breather styled PCV and it no longer does it. I had to remove that since the body of the breather can it too large and rups up against the throttle cable. Since the fitting on the factory PCV valve became loose and popped off that would probably explain a few things. The hard run experience was after taking down a GTO which followed 6 miles of slow driving on the highway. It is not often I take the Cobra to top speed. Talk about a rush:D

crunchit
04-13-2005, 08:15 PM
The hard run experience was after taking down a GTO which followed 6 miles of slow driving on the highway. It is not often I take the Cobra to top speed. Talk about a rush:DNice kill.:thumbsup:

casey99COBRA
04-14-2005, 01:15 AM
Go aus! rock on!

ausie
04-24-2005, 01:05 PM
I found the problem with the hard start and hot motor. The stock PCV valve is not a good part. Once it gets to operating temp, the plastic elbow becomes loose. I ordered a cure for that from Cobra Valley in the machined version to match the SHM intake breather. I am planning on doing away with the cheap oil separator I fabricated from Home Depot parts. It does work but I am skeptical that it is really needed and a possible fire hazzard if something goes wrong. It does not appear to trap much oil at all but only a small amount since I have installed it. I have also noticed that many who race their Cobra's do not have such components probably due to NHRA rules.

http://performanceunlimited.com/cobravalley_drivetrain/breathers.html