PDA

View Full Version : Some updates on my cobra hunt soap opera (since you guys asked for them :-) )

karak567
04-11-2005, 01:20 AM
Well thanks to all the awesome advice I got here, I decided to walk from the deal at the one car dealer.

I ran a CARFAX report and then after talking to some contacts at my local Ford dealer I got them to run a VIN check on warranty/ford shop repairs done on that car. It turns out that the transmission was serviced 4 times in the warranty period and twice outside of it. It was overhauled/rebuilt more than once too.

So I walked, obviously.

I contacted the woman selling the black Cobra 99' in Midlothian VA that you guys linked me too and have an appointment to go see it this weekend. It has 36,000 miles on it, has had two owners and both have been women (which is a good thing, I think!). It's entirely stock and the woman promises me there isn't anything beyond gravel nicks on the bottom of the body from the highway as in cosmetic damage.

She wants 15,000 for it and says that price is "relatively firm" but she also mentioned how she's been trying to sell it for months and she is only getting offers of 12,000. I have a feeling I might be able to talk her into 13,500, I hope, since 15,000 is above my budget right now (albeit just barely).

I am also going to see a red cobra 99' from a dealer in Richmond. It has 42,000 miles on it and they are asking 15,900. But as it's a dealer, I think the price is inflated.

I did contact that dealer in Carolina you guys recommended but they had sold all their 99 cobras (for 15 grand, they say) up to that point. I did leave my name and phone number with them.

So what do you think of 13500-15000 for that black SVT 99 in Midlothian? Worth it? I ran a CARFAX on it already and it appears to have no problems what-so-ever and it has had the "fix" done to it (to make it 320 HP).

Some people are vehemently trying to talk me into getting a 2002 GT instead, saying a 99 Cobra is a waste of my money and will only cause me problems. But after all the research I've done, I just don't see how that is possible.

It's a tough decision, between the 2002 gt and the 99 Cobra and they DO have some good points. How often will I be using that extra 60 HP? Is it worth it to get a 3 year older car? etc etc

I don't know, but I just love the look and feel of a Cobra and it's just different. Everyone and their mother drives a GT, how many people can say they drive a Cobra?

casey99COBRA
04-11-2005, 02:17 AM
i don't understand why they would tell you the cobra would give you nothing but problems??? I think they are just worried about you driving a better car than them LOL, the cobra would walk the gt. go drive one of those cobras, then drive the gt.

ausie
04-11-2005, 07:06 AM
I think the converse is true, you would have more problems with a run of the mill GT than the Cobra. In my opinion, I would prefer a ROMEO hand built motor over an assembly line WINDSOR anyday. It all depends on what you plan on doing with it. You could probably add more boost to the 2V gt than the 4V Cobra, but it still would be a walk in the park with the 4v over the 2v gt. If I had an option, the only two choices would either be the Cobra or the Mach 1 for the 99-01 years. My preference would be the Cobra even though the Mach 1 has a slight edge to it.

nckissfan
04-11-2005, 07:24 AM
I would prefer the 99 Cobra over the GT anyday of the week. Yes, that hp gain is worth it!! The fact that the CARFAX came back clean sounds good. When you go look, and drive, I am sure you will find a cherry car. It sounds like, at least. Good luck on this, and don't let those dealer guys stear you the wrong way. We would love for you to get what you want, and join the fine club here:D

Stavesacre21
04-11-2005, 03:04 PM
Some people are vehemently trying to talk me into getting a 2002 GT instead, saying a 99 Cobra is a waste of my money and will only cause me problems
:eek: My guess would be that people are gettin awefully envious about now :rolleyes: Gee...lemme think....yea, cobras are problems alright...their only made in limited production, handmade engines, produce beastly horsepower, have streamline looks, and are a headturner everywhere you go.....why on earth would you want to "waste" your money on one of those?! lol...yea, and lets spend it on a car that's a whole 3 years newer, which could more then likely have just as many, if not MORE problems then this one!

Owning a Cobra isn't like owning your average car. It's all about personal unmentioned pride of being the owner of one. It's about the name behind it, and how everyone knows that a Cobra means buisness. And that extra 60HP...you'd be surprised! However, it's not all about HP either though. I guess it's hard to put into words, but the feeling of just driving one around everywhere you go...and knowing that there's only a select few who can/are willing to afford one...it's priceless.

However, as with any other case...insuarnce will probably be a hair cheaper (although the GT would be 3 years newer...so not TOO much cheaper). In all honesty, that's the ONLY upside i'd see to a GT vs. Cobra. Almost gaurantee that any other owner (GT or Cobra) would tell you that IF you can afford a Cobra, don't look back!

Hope to see you around the board bud!

tazzracing1
04-11-2005, 09:32 PM
I would go with the cobra I will never regret buying mine. I also enjoy all the attention I get going down the highway I never recieved that in my other mustangs. I would go with the Cobra it really is worth it.:thumbsup:

sssvtcobra
04-12-2005, 05:41 AM
I would go with the cobra. I have had a '95 Vr, '94GT, '01 Cobra, and now my '04 Cobra. I never got the looks in the '95 and the '94 that I did in the '01 or now with the '04. The extra horsepower is totally worth it. Not to mention the exclusiveness of owning a Cobra. It's just something special. I don't think I could go back to owning a GT again. Cobras are just special :D

dewone
04-12-2005, 07:25 AM
Cobra

64alp
04-12-2005, 08:30 AM
If you around Raleigh NC, I have just decide to sell my '99 vert. White with black top. Below 48k miles and dress up mods and short throw shifter only. It is in great shape and no problems. All the recall work has been done at the local dealership. The NADA retail is $17,600 so it may be above what you are willing to pay. If you want pictures let me know. It pains me to start this process but the kids are getting too big to fit in the back seat.

Will

flynfink
04-12-2005, 09:03 AM
don't forget the IRS.. much better ride quality.. :)

wrenchturner
04-12-2005, 11:55 AM
Cobra without a doubt.. many reasons.. more power.. better ride.. better resale if you ever tear yourself away from the car... the look of everyone including all the other mustang owners....... as they drool:baby: as you drive by is the best reason though :rotf:

RF Cobra
04-12-2005, 06:24 PM
I say get a vw bug or v6 Mustang. :jk:

Get the Cobra and have fun! :firebounc
I think you will have a lot harder time finding a cared for gt than you will finding a good Cobra. GT owners around here drive like they think they have to try and prove something.

Stavesacre21
04-12-2005, 06:30 PM
I think you will have a lot harder time finding a cared for gt than you will finding a good Cobra. GT owners around here drive like they think they have to try and prove something.DITTO THAT!!! :clapping: :clapping: :clapping:

Chances are MUCH more likely you'll find a Cobra that's been cared for then a run-of-the-mill GT. It is funny, but so true that the GT's around here always seem to be ran like anything with pavements a dragstrip! Oh well, only makes it that much more fun to put um in their place from time to time :baby:

here and now, i thought it was only ohio... :p

Low and behold :rolleyes:

AH1W
04-12-2005, 08:39 PM
Get Snake Bit:cool: I have no regrets at all about buying mine. My Wife has a Convertible GT, and they just don't compare at all. The Cobra turns heads, where ever you go, and it sounds like the Four Horsemen of the Apocalypse coming down the street.

ausie
04-13-2005, 06:45 AM
I would have to second that. If you want lots of attention you will get it in a Cobra, even if you don't want any attention you will get it in a Cobra. I have yet to have a time where I stopped for gas and got comments or questions while driving the 01 or 04 Cobra. You will even turn heads at car shows since most mustang GT's appear to have a smaller engine, the DOHC makes the motor look huge. The only thing that comes close to size is a Chevey 502 big block. I get alot of eye popping comments at car shows from those that are unaware of what lurks under the hood of an SVT.

venomnous99
04-13-2005, 01:47 PM
I agree with all the above. Hell, my Cobra has even taken my dads Saleen. And the Cobra was in near stock form. I don't count the x-pipe or the K&N as power adders, since they don't really change the numbers. The only real add I had at the time was 3.73 gears. And yes, it was an SC Saleen, 2002. I mean even the GT people know better. The ricers don't, so be prepared to be challenged over and over again by 100 hp, but I have yet to have another Mustang challenge me. They just give a thumbs up, or let me know nice car. I love my 99. Yes, I have had a few minor quirks, but they were easily resolved. Maybe someday I will get rid of this car, but I doubt it.:thumbsup:

karak567
04-14-2005, 09:28 PM
Thanks for all the great replies, guys!

As usual, there are a few glitches. The woman said she recently had the real axle replaced and that there is some noise at 75-85 MPH (but I heard taht is normal for Cobras?).

She was kind of quirky too, would not come to my relative's house to show us the car, would not let us come to her house, we have to meet in some parking lot of a Food Lion. She said she won't even come to the meeting to show us the car and instead she is sending her boyfriend. How am I supposed to talk price for her boyfriend?

Then she tells us how she has people lined up all week to come look at it so I'm thinking she is not going to sell it for less than 15 k which is above my budget.

GAH!

Oh well, wish me luck :-).

Stavesacre21
04-14-2005, 09:56 PM
yea, she sounds like a lil...precautious of something. Anyhow, don't buy the "lots of other people" excuse too often. Even if it may be true (which i'd be skeptical of a lie), it's more often times a tactic to try and get you to rush in to buying, thinking that you just beat a whole horde of other people stampeding your way. When i bought my 97, he was telling me that there were people that were gonna be dricing from states away next week. I kinda blew it off and still offered $1K less then what he was asking.

Make your offer, regaurdless of what you think she's willing. If she shrugs you off with that, then walk. That perfect one for you is out there...but i know your getting ancy :bounce: ...I was too :rolleyes:

As for pricing, your gonna have to at least call her on the phone if she doesn't show up. I'd respect her privacy on the behalf of not wanting to meet, but I'd refuse to talk pricing with a BF who's not even the owner :mad: Also, this way, she'll realize you're serious :thumbsup:

Let us know what goes down! :D

karak567
04-15-2005, 06:34 PM
Car sold for 15,000 dollars before I could even get down there. Back to the old drawing board!

Stavesacre21
04-15-2005, 07:06 PM
You'll find another that's yet to even have any major repairs! Don't give up on those Cobras! :D