PDA

View Full Version : Headlight PROBLEM!! HELP ME!!!

casey99COBRA
04-11-2005, 02:19 AM
This is about the lamest **** that has ever happened to me. It is f'ing weak!
So i'm driving down the road earlier today and notice i couldn't see the road very well. So i pull over and find that one of my headlamps went out which was the passenger side (so i thought). so i get back in the car and go to the nearest autozone and pick up a 9007 Halogen lamp, pop the hood, unbolt my filter, pull out the lamp, swap lamps, turn the head lights on and WTF??? doesn't work??? I stop and think for a moment and end up turning on my HIGH beams and the new bulb LIGHTS UP! what do you know??? I then stick the old one back in, turn on the high beams on and once again IT LIGHTS up!!! I'm thinking to myself that is some lame ass ****!
The lamp works on high beam, but not on normal driving low beam??? I pull out my light tester, start testing every fuse i can find. I tested everything in the distribution box and everything under the driver dash. Every fuse worked. But i don't think there is a low and high beam fuse? that would make no sense? I started testing the plug for the lamp and i couldn't get anything, but that would also not make sense because the high beams work? So what the hell is wrong? do the plugs go bad in these things or what the hell? could it be a fuse that i have missed?

SNAKEYE
04-11-2005, 01:16 PM
This is about the lamest **** that has ever happened to me. It is f'ing weak!
So i'm driving down the road earlier today and notice i couldn't see the road very well. So i pull over and find that one of my headlamps went out which was the passenger side (so i thought). so i get back in the car and go to the nearest autozone and pick up a 9007 Halogen lamp, pop the hood, unbolt my filter, pull out the lamp, swap lamps, turn the head lights on and WTF??? doesn't work??? I stop and think for a moment and end up turning on my HIGH beams and the new bulb LIGHTS UP! what do you know??? I then stick the old one back in, turn on the high beams on and once again IT LIGHTS up!!! I'm thinking to myself that is some lame ass ****!
The lamp works on high beam, but not on normal driving low beam??? I pull out my light tester, start testing every fuse i can find. I tested everything in the distribution box and everything under the driver dash. Every fuse worked. But i don't think there is a low and high beam fuse? that would make no sense? I started testing the plug for the lamp and i couldn't get anything, but that would also not make sense because the high beams work? So what the hell is wrong? do the plugs go bad in these things or what the hell? could it be a fuse that i have missed?With the main headlight switch turned on, all power goes to the "MULTI-FUNCTION SWITCH", where, depending on the position of the turnsignal stalk, you chose high beam (stalk pushed forward) low beam (stalk in mid-location), or "flash-to-pass" (momentary pull on the stalk).

The "MULTI-FUNCTION SWITCH" is located immediately beneath the hazard warning button atop the steering column. Remove the column covers to access the switch. You may have to drop the steering column by unbolting it from beneath the dash to gain complete access to the wiring and connectors. Now with your light tester, to test for power out of the main headlight switch and into the MFS, with the headlights on, test for power at the 'R/V' wire leading into the MFS. The test light should turn 'ON' in the low beam position, and 'OFF' in high beam position. If the test light does not light the problem is between the main headlight switch (but not the switch itself as it provides power for the high beams too) and the MFS. If the test light does light move it to the 'R/BK' wire leaving the MFS and repeat switching between low and high beam. No test light illumination on low beams means the MFS is shot. I can provide detailed testing instructions for the MFS if you need them, but the above is the gist of it.
From this point you are on your own!