PDA

View Full Version : Whats the best Cold air kit? and whch looks the best?

Dave B.
04-12-2005, 11:15 PM
I have one of the EL CHEAPO kits that uses a K&N filter (nice) but then has this piece of absolut crap black plastic heat shield that is falling apart, my K&N goes right onto the end of my 95MM mass air meter, and it should have a volocity stack I think,

I would love to get a box that totaly encloses out any heat from the engine allowing only air from the fender in, I found one type that is carbon fiber, has a removable lid but last I checked they did not have any in stock, I guess I could go for one of those entire polished shield, and runner tube that goes all the way to the throttle body.

Show me some picks of what you recommed, and whos got them and for how much please.........thanks Dave B. :bounce: :firebounc :banana:

RF Cobra
04-12-2005, 11:22 PM
Have you looked at the JLT? www.jlttruecoldair.com/ (http://www.jlttruecoldair.com/) Several members are using it and Tony did a writeup on it. Impressive gains and since he will custom paint it, it looks great.

Dave B.
04-13-2005, 12:35 AM
Thanks for your reply,
However that item does not appear to hold off any hot air, for the most part with me, money is not an issue when it comes to upgrading stuff,

On the contrary, with me I am one of those who would rather spend the money on the front end to prevent having to spend twice as much to do it over if not worse,

I am kinda leaning towards that shiny deal RPM OUTLET has, the one with the high polish cover and the high polish tube that conects the meter with the throttle body, what do you think about that one? :bounce: :bounce:

cobrabitn
04-13-2005, 12:43 AM
Take another look Dave B. You are not looking at the RAM air in the fender well if you are saying it doesn't do any good for engine heat. My air filter and inlet are no where near the engine. :)

Dave B.
04-13-2005, 12:52 AM
yea let me go back and look at it, I must have looked at the wrong thing

Dave B.
04-13-2005, 12:57 AM
If you are talking about the tube that goes threw the into the fender wall. every tuner iv ever talked to has told me to avoid any of the induction systems that make 90% turns to go threw the wall, and thats what that one does, even Bryan from Diablo Sport told me to stay away from any of the intakes that make turns, Bryan is one of there software techs, something about the turn causing lean condition

jimmysidecarr
04-13-2005, 01:18 AM
If you are talking about the tube that goes threw the into the fender wall. every tuner iv ever talked to has told me to avoid any of the induction systems that make 90% turns to go threw the wall, and thats what that one does, even Bryan from Diablo Sport told me to stay away from any of the intakes that make turns, Bryan is one of there software techs, something about the turn causing lean condition

If you prefer quality, and don't care to go back and re-do what has been done before ....

Please do look at JLT's True Cold Air....

If you look carefully... the MAF is relocated to the fender well... IE: zero 90s prior to the MAF to slam the air to the outside radius and give it a bad reading...

Even his BIG filter kit ...12" has a good length of straight section to stabilize the air flow... even though that kit has the MAF by the TB tube...

IMHO.. the JLT kits are the BEST available .... period!!!

The fact that they are competitively priced is just a bonus!!!

Please do take another look ... as it does appear you are a serious player with some good research backing your decision...

Jimmy :thumbsup:

cobrabitn
04-13-2005, 01:18 AM
Hmm...that's funny. When I had mine dyno tuned it wasn't running lean then and all I had was a CAI and a magna flow exhaust on it. You ought to hear it scream though. :)

Dave B.
04-13-2005, 01:26 AM
OK,,,,its a good looking part, I shall call them tomorrow, thanks

blk04cobra1
04-13-2005, 09:49 AM
Dave B.---here is a shot of the MAC intake from RPMoutlet...I thought about both products and am happy with the MAC, but JLT is just as good of a product
http://img.villagephotos.com/p/2004-11/874087/Cobra012(Small).jpg

Mirage
04-13-2005, 11:41 AM
Dave B.~ I have to agree with cobrabitn as I have the MAC CAI (along with numerous other mdos) and when I had my Cobra dyno'ed I was know where near a lean condition. The bend might not be a design that is as efficient as the streaight shots but I haven't had any problems. Scratch that, I did have a problem with my BBK throttle body but that's an entirely different issue.

Dave B.
04-17-2005, 01:22 AM
So I got the MAC kit from RPMOUTLET with the polished heat sheild, big blue filter, and the velocity stack,,, holy moly what a differance

for the longest time, I just had a 95MM mass air meter with a K&N filter stuck right on the end of it, never thought it was any big deal.

There must not have been enough speed to the incoming air before for the mass air sensor to make proper mesurments, now with this thing on there the intake track is longer thus making the air velocity faster.

ITS NIGHT AND DAY,,,,, :D :D :D

crunchit
04-17-2005, 03:53 AM
You guys got me thinking that I shold change my K&N CAI... It cost me 200 bucks. Is it really worth doing so?:dunno:

Dave B.
04-17-2005, 03:10 PM
Do you have the cold air kit that just uses the K&N and a black plastic sheild?
and do you have a 95MM air meter?

cobra330
04-17-2005, 08:07 PM
From what I hear the RAM AIR is better due to the bend before the MAF with most that go into the fenderwell. It causes a swirl effect that could cause issues with your MAF. I believe the JLT now has the MAF moved down closer to the filter in the fenderwell..it's not near the bend but, check JLT website for more information. I can tell you though..every single Cobra in my area has the one under the hood..and NOT in the fender well. Every single tuner around here says that is the absolute best way to go..so, I went that way..How can so many tuners big wrong? Personally I don't think that moving it to the fender well really gets rid of that much heat..since the 03/04 Cobras generate a tremendous amount of heat under the hood with the Eatons. How could just moving it to the fender well..where the heat goes..and heat from the road are too? Besides what PITA to have to go into the fender well to check the filter? Trust me I wanted it too..as I thought the heat would be issue but, I spoke with 3 seperate tuners...and all said the only way to go..is RAM Air. Just my .02...but, I have absolutely no issues with my RAM AIR from JLT..and it looks awesome! Call Tucker..he'll help you.

crunchit
04-18-2005, 10:27 AM
Do you have the cold air kit that just uses the K&N and a black plastic sheild?
and do you have a 95MM air meter?
It'sa metal shield, and yes I believe it's the 95MM. I'll try to take a pic of it.