PDA

View Full Version : Loud!

crunchit
04-13-2005, 08:12 PM
Just put the SLP stuff on I purchased from Teddy (which was in perfect condition, thanks Teddy) It is way louder than I would have ever expected. I would definitly like to tame it down a bit. I have the SLP Loudmouth exhaust sys.w/ race convertors, x-pipe, etc.

Can anyone make some suggestions. I was hoping for an adult sound unless I got on it.

Thanks,

steve.

casey99COBRA
04-14-2005, 01:21 AM
removing the x and replacing it with a catted h pipe is pretty much the only thing you can do. And it will still be LOUD!

ausie
04-14-2005, 07:06 AM
It will quiet down a bit, although with the x-pipe not really sure. I never thought about the convertable. :D I would do what Casey suggested, put your old H-pipe with the cats back on. Mine took a few miles of driving before the open header sound clamed down a bit. You will get more of a lower tone with the H-pipe too.

crunchit
04-14-2005, 10:26 AM
I've got about sixty more miles on it now. Sounds a bit quieter. Perhaps I'm just getting used to it. Hmmm.

crunchit
04-14-2005, 10:30 AM
I will say this however, I can definitey feel a difference in power on the highway.:thumbsup:

sssvtcobra
04-14-2005, 02:34 PM
I know what you mean by the loudmouth being very loud. I put the loudmouth catback on my car with the loudmouth 1 mufflers, and a bassani o/r x-pipe. I ended up buying the loudmouth 2 mufflers. They're alot quieter, but still sound pretty good, (after you get some miles on them) When I first put the LM 2 mufflers on, they had no rumble or nothing, they just sounded like alot of air going through some pipes, and real quiet. I actually thought about taking them off the next day. After a few hundred miles theres alot more rumble than before, and they are a little louder. But I do kind of miss the dead waking sound of the LM 1's. :D

casey99COBRA
04-14-2005, 03:25 PM
i got rid of my stingers and i'm going back to the loudmouths. can't wait to hear it with the dr gas x pipe!

benjsss
04-15-2005, 01:18 AM
Hi Steve,

I noticed you had some nice looking Roll Bars that looked like they were mounted into the rear seats.
Is that correct? Are they strong enough to hold up in a real roll-over?
I want something to make my conv safer; JBA racing told me I really would need to put in a steel Cage to be adequately strong in case of a roll-over.
What do you think? Where did you get your bars from?

PS I'm also looking for an exhaust system (Cat back) that's not too loud.
Any of your thoughts on this are welcome as well. :)

Thanks a lot.

Ben

'03 SVT Cobra Conv
K&N FIPK
MGW Shift handle and Knob

redsnake99
04-15-2005, 07:46 AM
After I had the stock mufflers replaced with Flowmaster 40's on my 99, my family complained about the noise inside the car. My brother and I removed everything inside, down to the bare metal and applied Brown Bread, a noise insulator. We covered the metal from firewall to trunk and this helped tame down the interior noise a great deal. It added some weight to the car, but also provides some relief from exhaust heat in the console area.

:D

crunchit
04-15-2005, 11:40 PM
After I had the stock mufflers replaced with Flowmaster 40's on my 99, my family complained about the noise inside the car. My brother and I removed everything inside, down to the bare metal and applied Brown Bread, a noise insulator. We covered the metal from firewall to trunk and this helped tame down the interior noise a great deal. It added some weight to the car, but also provides some relief from exhaust heat in the console area.

:DSounds like a possible plan if I keep it the way it is. Any smell from the Brown bread when your heater is running? It also seems as if the exhaust is systematically loosening everything that can be loosened. My heat/ac vents are vibrating away.

Gotta love these machines!

crunchit
04-15-2005, 11:54 PM
Hi Steve,

I noticed you had some nice looking Roll Bars that looked like they were mounted into the rear seats.
Is that correct? Are they strong enough to hold up in a real roll-over?
I want something to make my conv safer; JBA racing told me I really would need to put in a steel Cage to be adequately strong in case of a roll-over.
What do you think? Where did you get your bars from?

PS I'm also looking for an exhaust system (Cat back) that's not too loud.
Any of your thoughts on this are welcome as well. :)

Thanks a lot.

Ben

'03 SVT Cobra Conv
K&N FIPK
MGW Shift handle and Knob
Sorry pal those are only attached to the Tonneau Covers. You'd never have a chance in the event of an accident. Go with the cage if your gonna run it at the track. As for the exhaust there are lots of threads on this. Some of these guys even have sound clips and videos. Aussie has a pretty cool one you should check out his posts.:thumbsup:

crunchit
04-16-2005, 12:00 AM
I know what you mean by the loudmouth being very loud. I put the loudmouth catback on my car with the loudmouth 1 mufflers, and a bassani o/r x-pipe. I ended up buying the loudmouth 2 mufflers. They're alot quieter, but still sound pretty good, (after you get some miles on them) When I first put the LM 2 mufflers on, they had no rumble or nothing, they just sounded like alot of air going through some pipes, and real quiet. I actually thought about taking them off the next day. After a few hundred miles theres alot more rumble than before, and they are a little louder. But I do kind of miss the dead waking sound of the LM 1's. :D
Thanks bro, I'm gonna go the same route you did. I do agree that the waking dead sound is addictive!

benjsss
04-16-2005, 03:55 AM
Sorry pal those are only attached to the Tonneau Covers. You'd never have a chance in the event of an accident. Go with the cage if your gonna run it at the track. As for the exhaust there are lots of threads on this. Some of these guys even have sound clips and videos. Aussie has a pretty cool one you should check out his posts.:thumbsup:

Thanks very much for the info; will check Aussie clips and probably go with the cage. :cool:

Take care,
Ben

benjsss
04-16-2005, 04:02 AM

:D
Thanks for the suggestion.

Ben :)

beerkat
04-16-2005, 10:16 AM
Here is a pic of my '03 with a AutoPower Roll bar. This bar ia made from DOM steel and is legal for SCCA, NASA, and most other track events. Not legal for wheel to wheel racing.:thumbsup:

ProfChaos
04-16-2005, 10:45 AM
My advice is to give yourself a little time to accommodate the new, louder sound before you go with another mod to make the exhaust quieter. It will likely seem much less overwhelming after a few weeks of driving the car.

For example, I ride a heavily modified Honda VTR1000F SuperHawk V-twin sportbike that has D&D slip-on exhaust that is mondo-loud. For the first few weeks after the exhaust was installed, I found myself feeling a little guilty as the VTR set-off car alarms in my apartment complex. Now, however, I don't feel guilty at all and love the throaty sound. And, though I don't abuse the privilege, I kind of get a kick out of briefly setting-off car alarms. :D

cheers,
Professor Chaos

BadMoFo
04-16-2005, 03:09 PM
wow I was looking for something really loud. anyone have any clips or vids? how much for the cat back and what kind of tips does it come with?

benjsss
04-16-2005, 04:55 PM
Thanks a lot for the suggestion.
Looks cool, especially from the rear. :cool:
Ben

Teddy Headrick
04-17-2005, 07:11 PM
Steve, glade everything arrived ok. If you want to calm the sound down leave the X pipe in and put your stock muffers on or a more mellow type muffer. The X pipe with race converters showed more HP gain to the RW on the dyno than the catback did without it. AND when you install the rest, you will understand why!!!! That Baby is going to want to breath, And the SUPERCHARGER is going to come ALIVE. But eventhough its loud I grew to LOVE that shrell tuned sound.

Like you said ,you have got to love these SNAKEs there BAD, I miss mine already.Have fun, and be safe in that rag top:cool:

Scream Machine
04-17-2005, 10:01 PM
Steve,

The SLP sounds pretty good with the stock H pipe, but you're right its way loud with a x-pipe. Either go back to stock h-pipe or do as I did and cut the resignators out of the SLP and replace with turbo mufflers. Sounds crazy to cut up a 400.00 pipe but its worth it. You get the look of the nice tips SLp has and a awesome sound. Kinda quiet at idol, slight rumble at cruising speeds and sounds like business when you gettin' on it. I've had people say it sounds better than any mustang they've heard. Good luck, Ronnie

crunchit
04-18-2005, 09:23 AM
I definitely fell in love with the sound, loud or not. I think I'm gonna ride on them for a while and see how it goes. Got a Dyno tune coming this week with the pully install. I will let you guys know where the #'s were before and after.

ausie
04-21-2005, 06:48 AM
Thanks very much for the info; will check Aussie clips and probably go with the cage. :cool:

Take care,
Ben
If it does not load up, let me know. It has been a while since it was hosted for me. I am planning on doing it over again sometime this spring or as soon as I can get some help from a friend of mine. The SLP is loud considering the kit I got does not use mufflers or baffled components. SLP changed to a modular design due to the NJ noise law established when the residents attempted to close down Englishtown Raceway Park. Unfortunately in some states (NJ), drag strips have black listed the SLP exhaust due to noise issues. Besides waking the dead, it will set off most if not all aftermarket car alarms. Not only can you be heard comming, you also leave a trail of horns and buzzers behind you :rotf: It has quieted down a bit so I have not set off any alarms lately (depends on how conservative I am with the throttle).:thumbsup:

benjsss
04-22-2005, 12:27 AM
Hey,
that's pretty funny.
I thing I'm going to go with the Steeda-Borla cat back, once I can afford it.

Take care,

Ben :thumbsup:

casey99COBRA
04-24-2005, 03:51 AM
lol ! sounds like me.

If it does not load up, let me know. It has been a while since it was hosted for me. I am planning on doing it over again sometime this spring or as soon as I can get some help from a friend of mine. The SLP is loud considering the kit I got does not use mufflers or baffled components. SLP changed to a modular design due to the NJ noise law established when the residents attempted to close down Englishtown Raceway Park. Unfortunately in some states (NJ), drag strips have black listed the SLP exhaust due to noise issues. Besides waking the dead, it will set off most if not all aftermarket car alarms. Not only can you be heard comming, you also leave a trail of horns and buzzers behind you :rotf: It has quieted down a bit so I have not set off any alarms lately (depends on how conservative I am with the throttle).:thumbsup: