PDA

View Full Version : dyno tune

crunchit
04-17-2005, 03:06 AM
Going to Mustang Magic (long island) on thurs to have them install my 2.8 pully and a custom tune. I told the guy that I had a predator tuner and he said we didn't need it, that they'll download the tune there to my computer. I am supplying all the parts, they are doing the work and as many dyno's needed to get riight.

Cost : $500.00

Does that sound right?

blk04cobra1
04-18-2005, 09:32 AM
that's weird they dont need the Predator, maybe they are using a different tuner and you could sell your Predator...anyways, I paid $350 for a custom tune, but I get free tuning on future purchases or upgrades, so it works out in the end...I think their price is fair...good luck

Mirage
04-18-2005, 04:58 PM
crunchit~ Wow, that seems a bit high. I know people who went there for a Mustang "dyno day" and paid $50 for three pulls (including AF). I wonder if they'd charge you $1,000 if you didn't have the parts? Not that I'm saying they don't do good work but installing a pulley and a tune isn't rocket science. Even at $100/hr, it's going to take them five hours to do the job?

Dave B.
04-18-2005, 10:44 PM
Thats real high man, and the not needing your predator part would worry me,
once you take your predator and install a tune, your original stork factory tune is then stored/locked into your predator, so if you take your car there without totaly reinstalling your stock factory tune,
I think that would cause some issues, then what happens down the road if you want to add something else?

do you have to give them $500 to change it again when you could just plug in the predator and make your own small changes?

I think I would insist they use your predator so you end up with some control, down the road,

if they use there own system to make these changes then it sounds like your totaly locked into always having to go back to them for any performance changes :scratch: :scratch: :scratch:

InfamousSVT
04-18-2005, 11:08 PM
Since you've already got the Predator and you're just going to use their dyno and have them tune, I'm not sure why they would charge you $500.00?

I got a custom dyno tune and it was only $300

I would recommend giving Amazon racing a call. They can give you a program from what you have on the car. The price will run I believe around $150. It's just up to you to get it dyno'd to make sure everything is running smoothly. Then you can get free tune upgrades from them forever!:thumbsup:
Also, that way you will be getting a custom tune by a reputable tuner for about $300 less than what "Mustang Magic" wants.

They must use magic to tune with those prices:rotf:

crunchit
04-19-2005, 12:35 AM
This is why I come to all you guys. Blk04, Mirage, Dave, Infamous~Originally the tech at ford was gonna do all the work, but he's no longer there and they're not giving up any information. But still, I need a dyno tune to make sure for all the obvious reasons. I think I'm gonna have to look to NJ or PA for a tune. But I'm gonna call these guys there at MM tomorrow and find out exactly why they are charging what they charge and why they prefer not to use the predator. Dave you are right. What if I want to make a small change like shut down the traction control switch? Do I completely screw up my whole tune?

Then I'm gonna call Amazon. I just wish that there were more options for me to find a dyno. Can you believe they are the only one I could find on Long Island? doesn't anyone around here drive hot rods? Or is everyone just guessing where their RWHP is at?

to be continued...

~steve

ausie
04-19-2005, 06:38 AM
Considering what others have stated I guess that is high. The local speed shop down in Perkasie (in the town I work at) wanted to charge me $800.00 for a tune when I had my 01 Cobra. I thought that was a bit steep. A meager cost of $600.00 just to run a base line if that is all I wanted. You guessed it, I rolled away without getting on the rollers.

sonicblu
04-29-2005, 10:23 PM
:doubt: Has anyone had a dyno/tune done by Sutton Motorsport in Mattson Il.