PDA

View Full Version : Englishtown and others in NJ restrict exhaust components...

ausie
04-17-2005, 11:30 AM
Yesterday was the first monthly Wheels of Time car show. I went of course to show case my ride. I parked in the shade next to a blue early (68'ish) Mustang Mach 1 and a 1999 Black Cobra. Along came a 2000 Camaro SS and parked next to me. The bow-tie driver seems to hit the drag strips alot and we got into talking about our vehicles, good points, bad points, weak links, etc, even down to the wax. I would say I had a great time. Then we got into talking about drag racing, Since I have never done it (legally) I figured I would get some pointers, and possibly find out other places to go. His comments were that FORD events have far more followers than the Chevey events. As he has told me he attends both. He seemed very familiar with the Englishtown revised rules in response to the Noise Law mandates in NJ. The rules apply to all tracks in NJ. HE said that he can no longer run at Englishtown due to the SLP components he has on his car. The new mandates require a multi-chambered muffler 3 or 4 baffles. SLP made the top of the list for rejection on inspection at the track. I can see why SLP changed their design from welded in, to modular, but even their baffled mufflers are not accepted at Englishtown. Then again there is that 90dB rule at 100ft with the engine running 5500 rmp which may save some a disappointing return to the trailer statement. At least the NHRA nationals or other affiliated events are exempt from the restrictions, only the streetable cars are on the hit list. :mad: Oh well, I guess I will just have to race in PA since I do not plan on removing my exhaust components any time soon.