PDA

View Full Version : Ford engine tools

Paradisd
04-18-2005, 02:38 PM
I called my local Ford dealer who was nice enough to blow me off. I am trying to find out if there are any online or other places to purchase the camshaft holding fixture, camshaft positioning tool, and Rotunda engine lift bracket set. I'm guessing there is another way to remove the motor without the brackets, but I don't know if anyone here has another method to keep the camshafts positioned correctly when removing the heads.
I now have the transmission out, which added to my surprise. The previous owner must have flogged this car hard. It had only 50k when I bought it, and guess what, it has a bone yard transmission in it. And whoever installed it was kind enough to use the incorrect bolt on the top hole of the bellhousing. It had bottomed out in the block, but still had about 1/4" till it met the bellhousing! To make my day even better, the points were stripped off the head, so I got to saw it off with a hacksaw blade! Anyways, pulled out the tranny and spun the input shaft. I now know the noise I could hear was not the throwout bearing. It was the input shaft bearing. :mad: I feel so lucky to own this cobra. I soooo wish I had kept my old 88 GT.

Red Wedge
04-18-2005, 03:41 PM
A good place to start if I were you would be Snap-On, MAC, MATCO, or Cornwell tools. That is where the Ford Techs get a good number of their tools from. I'm not saying they will have it but they do carry many specialty tools. I just took a quick look at my Cornwell catalog and they have a universal cam lock tool and a Ford holding tool. Depending on who you talked to they probably didn't know the answer and decided to blow you off instead of telling you the truth. Hope this helps.....

wrenchturner
04-18-2005, 04:30 PM
I looked into getting them from both my matco and snap-on dealers but OUCH :eek: 500 bucks just about for the set :( hurts a little.. Not sure if in the long run its not cheaper and less of a head ache to have it done.. LOL

A good place to start if I were you would be Snap-On, MAC, MATCO, or Cornwell tools. That is where the Ford Techs get a good number of their tools from. I'm not saying they will have it but they do carry many specialty tools. I just took a quick look at my Cornwell catalog and they have a universal cam lock tool and a Ford holding tool. Depending on who you talked to they probably didn't know the answer and decided to blow you off instead of telling you the truth. Hope this helps.....

wrenchturner
04-18-2005, 04:41 PM
Forgot to welcome you to the boards.. fellow NE member.. spencer not to far from me.. One of my friends lives there.. maybe ill see ya round :)

Paradisd
04-18-2005, 04:55 PM
I'm sure I'll see ya around, but judging by the looks of my car, and everything that I'm finding wrong with it, I don't think I'll see you in my stang.

I called Rotunda and asked them about the lifting brackets. The say they aren't supposed to sell to anyone but Ford dealers. The price of the brackets is 347.00. I'm guessing I can find my own attachment points to lift it out. I've only worked on pushrod cast iron blocks before. Is the aluminum that brittle that I need special brackets to remove it? Or, can I just bolt a chain to one of the threaded holes in the heads, or maybe one of the accessory brackets after I remove the a.c. pump or power steering pump? I'm wondering if ford recommends the brackets for a safety or insurance reasons. In case someone attaches to a poor place and the motor falls on them. I can't believe after all the motors I've built, I'm letting this modular get to me so bad.

dewone
04-19-2005, 08:55 AM
For the lift try summitt QMX-110200 Lift slings.