PDA

View Full Version : AV8SS @ Nashville

b_tone
04-18-2005, 02:41 PM
Does anyone want to know about how the weekend went? :D

a_morr
04-18-2005, 04:59 PM
I was there and know the outcome. However, I did want to say again what an excellent job you guys did on your car. The fabrication and attention to detail are among the best I have seen on a race car!

b_tone
04-18-2005, 05:03 PM
I was there and know the outcome. However, I did want to say again what an excellent job you guys did on your car. The fabrication and attention to detail are among the best I have seen on a race car!

You should have stopped by to say hi and introduce yourself I would have been nice. I am only a d**k on the internet.... :D

If you did stop by don't hold it against me for not remembering, Mark made me drive most of the 8.5 hours home last night. We finally made it to my house at 2:30am and Mark still had an hour to go!

Thanks for the words onthe car it's nice to know it was well received, not to mention fast as shown by beating up on Whiteheads 434hp MM sponsored car! :thumbsup: nothing but love if you read this scott. We did have one hell of a set of races huh?

Who said the KB stuff wouldn't work!

johnbasf
04-18-2005, 05:08 PM
What was the finishing order and how was the payout? :D

I went back to work today and it still sucks....... :rotf:

a_morr
04-18-2005, 05:41 PM
Went 1 - Johns, 2 - Tone, 3 - Whitehead reflecting the results of the second race. First race went 1 - Whitehead, 2 - Tone, 3 - Johns. Not sure of $$$.

Results and times are posted at www.av8ss.mylaps.com (http://www.av8ss.mylaps.com/)

johnbasf
04-18-2005, 06:21 PM

Big Daddy
04-18-2005, 08:37 PM
You should have stopped by to say hi and introduce yourself I would have been nice. I am only a d**k on the internet.... :D

If you did stop by don't hold it against me for not remembering, Mark made me drive most of the 8.5 hours home last night. We finally made it to my house at 2:30am and Mark still had an hour to go!

Thanks for the words onthe car it's nice to know it was well received, not to mention fast as shown by beating up on Whiteheads 434hp MM sponsored car! :thumbsup: nothing but love if you read this scott. We did have one hell of a set of races huh?

Who said the KB stuff wouldn't work!

Brian I'm SO GLAD you guys did well with the KB stuff!! I have gotten SO TIRED of hearing how it is second rate, won't hold up, isn't as good as .....! :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :bounce:

As far as meeting Brian in person he is right he's really nice when you talk to him in person...NOTHING AT ALL like he is on the internet! ;) :D

johnbasf
04-18-2005, 09:58 PM
Mark Wilson:

I don't remember the payout in Unlimited but the payout for limited was $900 to win, $600 for second, $300 for 3rd, $200 for 4th and $100 for 5th. There were also Nitto dollars handed out to the top 3 as well as contigency payouts, hard charger award, late brake award and sportsmanship award. Finishing 2nd we came home with $1000 cash plus $100 in Nitto bucks. I'm quite happy to say the least!

Awesome....

Cobra-R
04-18-2005, 11:06 PM
Congrats Brian, Mark and everyone!!!! :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

b_tone
04-18-2005, 11:09 PM
Here is the real quick Cliff's notes version.

Whitehead on pole, I was 0.2 secs behind and Pete Johns (black F body) about 1 sec behind me. At the start I got pushed to 3rd becuase of the outside starting position. I followed watching Johns and Whitehead battle for a bit until Johns overcooked a corner contacting Whitehead and I got by both of them. At that point I pulled a bit on Whitehead until the yellow came out. I saw the yellow the corner before the sweeper leading onto the front straight but apparently Whitehead didn't and there was some confusion among the cornerworkes about when the yellow came out. The yellow was flying at the start/finish line and I saw it and slowed down allowing Scott to get by. It was deemed a good pass and with only a few minutes in left in the 30 minute race there was not enough time to get back by him.

The second race started much the same way with Johns, Whitehead and myself swapping positions. I was leading when the yellow came out bunching up the field. On the restart Johns had a great run on everybody and powered by Whitehead and I (we both dove to the apron on the start to get around a lapped car on the green, it was impressive!) and I watched as Johns took the lead. Whitehead got by me and Johns a few laps later. Johns assumed the lead at some point followed by Whitehead and then myself. I pulled along whitehead a number of times in different spots but his 50 additional cubic inches helped him off the corner and I was unable to make the pass. I finally pulled along side of him going into T1 under braking. I pulled to the inside of him going into T3 when he contacted Morrison giving me the position. The race finished in that order, Johns, Me then Whitehead. Though I did slow down on the last corner to let scott catch up for a photo type of finish showing the KB car beating the MM car to the finish under the checker flag. It makes for good press you realize!! :D :D :thumbsup: :eek:

It was a great race, I highly suggest that if you can make it up to Autobahn you do what needs to be done and get up there to watch more great racing!

Big Daddy
04-19-2005, 12:15 AM
Cool Brian again CONGRATS!! I want a copy of that photo! :D ;) :thumbsup:

SIUNARA
04-19-2005, 02:51 PM
Finishing 2nd is good press...but finishing 1st would have been even better press. ;)

b_tone
04-19-2005, 04:03 PM
Finishing 2nd is good press...but finishing 1st would have been even better press. ;)

Why do you think it stings so badly to know that I was passed under the yellow and it was deemed a good pass. Oh well we still ran with cars that have way more hp than we do. If we can ever find some power this car is going to be a force to recon with.

johnbasf
04-19-2005, 08:05 PM
Tell us more about the T-1 Vette..

BobKaser#90
04-19-2005, 10:36 PM
I was thinking of running the event at the Glen in Oct. what kind of license is required?

kevin
04-20-2005, 10:24 AM
congrats guys.

i guess in the future you'll just have to stay in it right up to the flag station. i had this happen once, but never again.

b_tone
04-20-2005, 11:41 AM
I was thinking of running the event at the Glen in Oct. what kind of license is required?

Bob, you'll be fine with either your SCCA or NASA license for a single event. After that event you'll have to sign up for your AV8SS License.

An additional comment that I forgot to mention was track time.

We had 2 30 minute practice sessions and one 45 minute qualifying session on Saturday.

On Sunday we had a full 30 minute practice session and two full 30 minute races!! It was great!

a_morr
04-20-2005, 01:49 PM
Bob, you can see the website for detailed requirements - www.av8ss.com (http://www.av8ss.com/).

Dan Schlickenmeyer, AV8SS Director, does an excellent job running the series. He can answer any questions you have about the events, driver and car requirements. His contact info is on the website.

Oh yeah. Watch out for this guy!

http://home.comcast.net/~alan.morrison/David_VIR.jpg

BobKaser#90
04-23-2005, 11:15 PM
ok, I read all the formulas and stuff and just have one simple question, would a car set to AI limit be competitive? And with a little tuning and tweaking I can actually be a bit over the 9.5 lb/hp rule. do I stand a chance? I've been to the Glen many times and run in the 2:13's on the full course.

mwilson7
04-27-2005, 07:39 PM
Bob,

I haven't seen you drive but 2:13's at the Glen is definitely moving! I don't see why you wouldn't be competitive. Another nice thing is that the Nitto's act very much like the Toyo's so it's one less thing to worry about.

I think you might be pleasantly surprised if you came and raced!

BobKaser#90
04-27-2005, 11:06 PM
Actually, I've never run at the Glen on Toyo's, only Hoosiers. so I guess I would be a little slower. now what about the inlet tube thing. Since I have a carb I guess I need to buy a setup to run a remote air filter so i can have the 3.5" inlet tube then figure out my restrictor size. Is that about it?

mwilson7
04-28-2005, 06:33 AM
You'll also need some way to control RPM like a chip or something. Basically something that they can verify.

b_tone
04-28-2005, 09:17 AM
Actually, I've never run at the Glen on Toyo's, only Hoosiers. so I guess I would be a little slower. now what about the inlet tube thing. Since I have a carb I guess I need to buy a setup to run a remote air filter so i can have the 3.5" inlet tube then figure out my restrictor size. Is that about it?

If you can get your hands on one of the 82-85 intake snorkels it would be easy to put a restricor in the actual inlet tube.

Here you go This is what you need (http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1&item=7969838438&category=43946&sspagename=WDVW#ebayphotohosting)

BOC- Beau
04-28-2005, 01:00 PM
If you can get your hands on one of the 82-85 intake snorkels it would be easy to put a restricor in the actual inlet tube.

Here you go This is what you need (http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1&item=7969838438&category=43946&sspagename=WDVW#ebayphotohosting)

I have got one of those Type of air cleaners Bob. If you want it, I can bring it to Summit Point.

BobKaser#90
05-04-2005, 04:35 PM

Here you go This is what you need (http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1&item=7969838438&category=43946&sspagename=WDVW#ebayphotohosting)I thought it had to be a single 3.5" inlet tube? I don't think that thing would fit w/ my strut tower brace. seems like all this stuff would be to much trouble for one race.

johnbasf
05-04-2005, 05:15 PM
Bob, call Dan and talk to him. :thumbsup:

b_tone
05-04-2005, 05:18 PM
I thought it had to be a single 3.5" inlet tube? I don't think that thing would fit w/ my strut tower brace. seems like all this stuff would be to much trouble for one race.

come on bob, think creatively. Cap one side off and put whatever size restrictor you need in the other side. Or you can simply drop your car off here in MI and i'll do it all for you at a decent price even!! :D :D

BOC- Beau
05-04-2005, 05:25 PM
Bob,

I think I have one with a single snorkle too, if you want it. It would be a shame for you not to go to a race right in your back yard.

mwilson7
05-04-2005, 07:04 PM
Bob,

I think I have one with a single snorkle too, if you want it. It would be a shame for you not to go to a race right in your back yard.

How far do you live from Nashville? :p j/k

BOC- Beau
05-04-2005, 07:39 PM
Four hour drive.

Among other things(scheduling problems) Right now my car is not legal for AV8SS. I am still running the stock tank. ;)

mwilson7
05-04-2005, 10:42 PM
Actually you could have run with a stock fuel tank through the end of April according to the rules!

You REALLY should run a fuel cell if you're going to race. I still can't believe that's not a requirement!

BOC- Beau
05-05-2005, 09:43 AM
Actually you could have run with a stock fuel tank through the end of April according to the rules!

You REALLY should run a fuel cell if you're going to race. I still can't believe that's not a requirement!

I agree completely. It should be a requirement.

Dean95CobraR
05-05-2005, 10:18 AM
I can't believe they can't figure out better engine rules. It's pretty simple to regulate the incoming air on an EFI car but it's a whole different ball game for the carbed cars. It makes it way too difficult to run 2 different series if you have to come up with a whole lot of fabbed stuff just to run.

How much power can be varied by the size of the air cleaner? Couldn't they just regulate the carb size instead of the airbox inlet?

AV8SS seems like they are on the right track but they need to make it simplier.

KISS!

Black Horse
05-05-2005, 12:42 PM
I can't believe they can't figure out better engine rules. It's pretty simple to regulate the incoming air on an EFI car but it's a whole different ball game for the carbed cars. It makes it way too difficult to run 2 different series if you have to come up with a whole lot of fabbed stuff just to run.

How much power can be varied by the size of the air cleaner? Couldn't they just regulate the carb size instead of the airbox inlet?

KISS!

I have a roll of duct tape and can take care of your carb for you when you run AV8SS Dean........

Cobra-R
05-05-2005, 02:00 PM

KISS!

Ok, I propose all Michigan and Indiana racers have to run 2 barrel carb for AV8, hows that for simple? :thumbsup: :rotf:

mwilson7
05-05-2005, 07:18 PM
Brian,

Do you realize that NASCAR engines put out over 600 hp with a 390 CPM carb?

Dean - Actually just adding an aircleaner with a snorkle isn't that hard. Best part is that no matter where you run or who measures it you should always come up with the same #!

I can't believe you guys and your carbs..... I thought the latest thing was low/no carb diets.....

Cobra-R
05-05-2005, 10:32 PM
Brian,

Do you realize that NASCAR engines put out over 600 hp with a 390 CPM carb?

Two barrel? :eek:

Black Horse
05-06-2005, 08:05 AM
Two barrel? :eek:

Yup - two barrel - two grapefruit sized barrels

BobKaser#90
05-06-2005, 04:56 PM
ok so I punched all my info into the formula and came up way short of 1.91493654. In the rules it says that a 2.948 restrictor is aprox. 750 cfm, now since I am way under the 1.9 and run a 600 cfm carb, can't my carb be considered the restrictor?

I may be mistaken but the 390 carbs Nascar uses I believe are 4 barrels. unless you are talking about a late model or sportsman class. Maybe the Busch cars still use them, but I havn't really kept up on Nascar the last few years.

ok, now I have to go load up my van and car for Pocono tomm.

mwilson7
05-06-2005, 07:38 PM
Bob,

I'd just give Dan a call. If you need his number let me know.....

racercosmo
05-07-2005, 12:09 PM
I'm pretty sure Nextel Cup cars are using 830 CFM carbs now.

Dean95CobraR
05-10-2005, 09:57 AM
[QUOTE=mwilson7]Dean - Actually just adding an aircleaner with a snorkle isn't that hard. Best part is that no matter where you run or who measures it you should always come up with the same #![QUOTE]

I had a heck of a time just finding an airfilter that would fit under the hood. I had to have a raised hood on the '93 and it just fits under the stock GT hood on my '04. As you can see, the distributor is pretty tall which doesn't help the situtation. I can't imagine trying to find an enclosed aircleaner without going to a really large rise hood.

BTW - That is a 390 4 barrel.

Black Horse
05-10-2005, 11:16 AM
Don't worry Dean - if you want to run AV8SS I'll take some measurements from your car at Putnam and fab you up a custom aircleaner housing. I assume you want to extend the snorkle to the front air opening to provide some forced (ram) air induction, right?

Dean95CobraR
05-10-2005, 11:45 AM
Don't worry Dean - if you want to run AV8SS I'll take some measurements from your car at Putnam and fab you up a custom aircleaner housing. I assume you want to extend the snorkle to the front air opening to provide some forced (ram) air induction, right?

You can take a look at it and see how much of a problem it would be. I'm not in the position to run many of their races but it would be nice to have the option.

cobrabitn
05-10-2005, 11:26 PM
Dean,

Keep that option open because if things go as planned, SCMC members next year at CMP will be offered a purse from the club if AV8SS holds a race at our event like they did this year. :thumbsup:

(Conditions will apply...) :)