PDA

View Full Version : Rebuilding T-45

Paradisd
04-18-2005, 07:53 PM
Anyone know where I can get a book on the specs and tolerances for the t-45. I started dissassembling the tranny today and realized chilton's doesn't give any info on it except for the clutch system. I'm guessing my bellhousing may be junk because when I removed it, the race for the input shaft bearing fell out. Correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't that supposed to be pressed in? :eek:
Well if the bellhousing is junk, I'm wondering how the rest of the internals are going to look. I'm not all too hopeful.
I called D&D performance where I bought my last T-5 and they told me they were completely out of T-45s. Anyone know of a good place to get one. I found an inexpensive place on ebay that rebuilds them, but I've never heard of them before.
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1,1&item=7965807988&sspagename=STRK%3AMEWA%3AIT
Also, I don't know if they would credit me for my core charge if the bellhousing can't be repaired where the bearing race sits.

Stavesacre21
04-18-2005, 10:34 PM
Yea, don't know how else to say it...but you've joined the damned :mad: welcome

I'm in the middle of my 3rd tranny being in the shop under warrenty...2nd rebuilt one. For some reason, the place that our AAMCO has build their T45's has no FRIGGIN idea how to do it properly...syncro grinding...sticking in reverse...mid-gear grinding...all on a "professionaly rebuilt transmission"?! wtf...:mad:

It's a shame that the 45's are known to be such junk...

Just make sure that you have a place YOU personally know knows how to rebuild trannys...cause i know that from my luck, i think there's been 3 monkeys gathered around a circle putting mine together :rolleyes:

Paradisd
04-19-2005, 12:15 AM
that story gives me a really warm fuzzy feeling about my tranny. I was already thrilled to see the bone yard writing on it when I pulled it out. The more I ask around I hear the T45 ford built to improve on the crappy T5 is as bad if not worse.

dewone
04-19-2005, 08:33 AM
Say don't jinx those of us that are still running our T-45s.
There was anouther publisher that makes books like chilton, I just can't think of the name. Their soft bound book was preety insightful, and ful of spec's. A buddy has one for his Pathfinder. We've used it a number of times working on his truck, and it's had all the info we needed. Try auto zone. Perhaps I'll look for one for myself. If I find it I'll post it for you.
Sorry your having troubles guys

BOC- Beau
04-19-2005, 09:53 AM
Helm Publication. They are the people who make the factory shop manuals. If you have a good relationship with your local Ford parts department, they can order them for you. If they won't, you may be able to order them directly from Helm. Be prepared to pay 80+ dollars for one. I have, to date, never built a T-45. I have a core sitting in the floor to do. But I just can't find the time. The Ford service manual will show special tools. Usually you can get by without using them, but they sure make life alot easier.

flynfink
04-19-2005, 12:12 PM
on same subject. what about a book or video on t-5 rebuilt. Our 94' Cobra puked it's reverse last year and I wound up buying a used one w/ too many miles on it, but the 94/95 cobra t-5 is a bit different than the GT's. Have the trashed one in the garage on the to do list to rebuild it.

BTW, the T-45 in my 99 works great, Knock on wood.

Xaqcraw4d
04-21-2005, 04:15 PM
Yeah...I'm needing to undertake the rebuild on mine here shortly...as far as the manual goes, I found a 1996 Ford cars shop manual on DVD on ebay for like $15...haven't got it yet, but according to the seller it has complete instructions on the T-45 teardown and rebuild.

Stavesacre21
04-21-2005, 06:11 PM
Say don't jinx those of us that are still running our T-45s. I wouldn't look at it as a jinx....more as a "heads up" to try and baby yur trannys as much as possiable :cool: