PDA

View Full Version : Any 03/04 TURBO Cobras???

whitestang04GT
04-23-2005, 10:44 PM
Anyone have one or know someone that has one?? Info or links please......

Dave B.
04-24-2005, 12:40 AM
why would any one take a factory supercharged cobra, then take the much better method of producing horse power off,

then put a less effective turbo charger on whial at the same time not just making any warranty issue just a little bit of a problem like putting the stock 3.55 pulley back on before taking it to the dealership,

to having the dealership look under the hood, see the turbo and start to laugh.

just seems like a screwy idea to me, :bounce: :flip: :retard: :banana:

ausie
04-24-2005, 12:54 PM
You can get alot of power from a turbo in just the same manner you can get that from a centrifuge type blower. The only difference is that the impeller from the turbo is not limited or governed by the crank shaft but in the amount of back pressure. With that in mind you will get what is called turbo lag since you would have to spool up the turbo with RPM to get a good launch. The only difference is that you are not moving a fixed amount of air volume as with the case of the displacement type superchargers. The expence of adding a turbo to a V8 cost far more than a supercharger or use of a turbo on an inline six or four banger not to mention the amount of space required for all of the plumbing needed to make it work. In my opinion, a supercharger is more reliable than a turbo since it does not operate at extreme temperatures generated by the exhaust gases. It is probably easier to tune a supercharged application that it is for the non-linear boost generated by turbo's. It is possible to combine both roots and turbo at the same time, but why bother since a lysholm twin screw (Kenn Bell, Whipple) generates boost throuh out the RPM range. I have so far driven both twin turbo charged V6 Audi's and now a supercharged Cobra. My preference is the supercharger since boost is there when I command instead of kicking in when least expected. I am not saying that turbo's are a bad idea, especially in the straigh line approach, however on the street there is no waiting for boost to spool up and it is always there when you need it without the wait. Hitting a turn when the turbo decides to kick in is no thrill either which can be unpredictable if you are not used to it. One main reason I did not buy the Audi at that time.

Dave B.
04-24-2005, 09:27 PM
Thats what I mean, You have from the factory a system that gives instant torque and horse power big time, Iv had a turbo car and a turbo motorcycle.

It would appear to me that four cyclinder higher rpm car engines are well suited for the turbo charger, they have more room around the engine compartment, and since they run higher ropms than the cobras they can take staying at a higher rpm without coming apart. same thing with the four cylinder motorcycle.

But with these V8s man it just seems to me that to have the instant torque a roots type blower can provide is simply the best way to go, a turbo is going to run much hotter due to the back pressure build up of the turbo,

theres just no reason to change it other than going to a better roots blower.

blk04cobra1
04-25-2005, 08:46 AM
Im gonna slap on the F1, but would really like to do the turbo setup...Induction Concepts and HP have kits out now, but are still refining them, so it's about a two month wait...also, a return style fuel system is needed for these setups, they also tip the charts at roughly $15k for the entire system.

The main reason to do it is b/c they make more power. The IC system is estimated at 850rwhp/800ftlbs...and the turbo's spool at 4k rpm's :bounce: .

Firme
04-25-2005, 10:52 AM
Just to mention the other side of this discussion…

Besides for turbo lag, which has been drastically reduced (a lot of units, if setup properly, hit boost at 2300-2500 rpm), IMO, a turbo is the best power adder. Things like heat, routing the piping, and cost, make turbos rare due to everyone taking the less costly methods of a Kenne Bell, Whipple, or a Procharger. But a properly setup turbo is very lethal. Problem is support. The blower manufacturers all have a kit for install of their units. Turbos on the other hand need to be custom installed by a shop making the cost, and reliability suffer.

Keep in mind, the factory root blower is the most inefficient and heat generating method of all the ones mentioned and replacing it with any of these will net in more power potential.

Some of us are just more intrigued by the Turbo's I guess. The fact that they are not “Cookie cutter” mods makes them more intriguing to me. I have owned two turbo cars, and there is nothing like when the turbo power band kicks in IMO.

Maybe its just me though. :dunno: :D

smashedheadcat
04-25-2005, 08:14 PM
Don't let anyone tell you any different. If you are after serious power with streetability, turbos are the way to go. Sure the KB's are good for 600 rwhp, but if you want more......... click on one of these links.

www.turbochargedpower.com (HP performance)
www.inductionconcepts.com
www.proturbokits.com
www.hellionpowersystems.com (Urist's new turbo company)

Right now only proturbokits and HP performance are shipping kits. Induction concepts is the most expensive, but they use 100% stainless steel on everything. They are the best you can get, but prepare to spend around $9000 when all is said and done. They are finishing up their '03 cobra prototype in the next week or two. From there, production will start shorly after. Pro turbo kits retain the factory intercooler, and give a sheet metal intake (similar to procharger) to replace the eaton. This is a single turbo kit. Hellion power systems retains the factory exhaust manifolds and seems like it's be a breeze to install. This is also a single turbo kit. All of the kits require a tubular k-member and come with them. Any of those companys will allow you to customize your kit, add what you want, delete what you don't want. Peek at the sites listed above and that will give you an idea of what's out there.

whitestang04GT
04-26-2005, 12:36 PM
Don't let anyone tell you any different. If you are after serious power with streetability, turbos are the way to go. Sure the KB's are good for 600 rwhp, but if you want more......... click on one of these links.

www.turbochargedpower.com (http://www.turbochargedpower.com/) (HP performance)
www.inductionconcepts.com (http://www.inductionconcepts.com/)
www.proturbokits.com (http://www.proturbokits.com/)
www.hellionpowersystems.com (http://www.hellionpowersystems.com/) (Urist's new turbo company)

Right now only proturbokits and HP performance are shipping kits. Induction concepts is the most expensive, but they use 100% stainless steel on everything. They are the best you can get, but prepare to spend around $9000 when all is said and done. They are finishing up their '03 cobra prototype in the next week or two. From there, production will start shorly after. Pro turbo kits retain the factory intercooler, and give a sheet metal intake (similar to procharger) to replace the eaton. This is a single turbo kit. Hellion power systems retains the factory exhaust manifolds and seems like it's be a breeze to install. This is also a single turbo kit. All of the kits require a tubular k-member and come with them. Any of those companys will allow you to customize your kit, add what you want, delete what you don't want. Peek at the sites listed above and that will give you an idea of what's out there.Thanks for respecting the question...Someone finally answered the thread without a bias opinion....

smashedheadcat
04-27-2005, 06:19 PM
If you're after power beyond 600rwhp turbo is really the only way to go. A KB 2.4 with all supporting mods : headers, mid-pipe, cold air, injectors, maf, boost a pump, fuel pump upgrade, heat exhanger upgrades will put you north of $6000 easy. And you have to spin the blower pretty hard (over 20psi). A base 50mm twin turbo kit from HP will run you honestly ($7700-$7800) and will put down 650rwhp and over 700ft lbs of torque with 15 degrees timing and an 11:1 a/f ratio with about 14-15psi. That price up there includes everything. Injectors, boost a pump, an intercooler that's made to handle that power, upgraded blow off valves, upgraded 38mm tial wastegates and all hot parts coated. And, a warranty on these parts. As an added bonus, it comes with a tubular k-member, tubular a-arms and coil over suspension in the front. Even the 50mm (base '03 cobra turbos) turbos will support well north of 800rwhp with a little bit of race gas. Sure, it's probably not best with your engine, but it'll be hard to outgrow a turbo'd vehicle's capability if you hunger for more power down the road. Any of the above listed companies up there is worth calling to discuss you needs and pricing. There are downfalls though. For one, it's a lot of work to put these kits on. Much more than a KB and whipple. And, they cost a huge chunk of change up front. The KB's and the whipple cars seem like they are half the price because you buy one part at a time. So they are relatively close in price. The turbos are a touch more expensive though. I won't lie. The other downfall is the wait. If you make up your mind today that you want a turbo kit, you won't see it for a few months. It could take up to 3 months for you kit to be pieced together, built, coated, packaged, and shipped to you. If you are looking at power like this, call up those companies and see what kind of timeline you'd be on if you decided to go that route. I'm not biased at all, but numbers don't lie. Turbos are putting down way more power per lb of boost than superchargers are. Which means you can attain the same power, with less boost. And that translates into lower intake temps which will help prevent detonation.

SVTcobra04
04-28-2005, 07:45 AM
anyone evr seen a triple turbo before? :D probly a stupid comment but is it possible?

Firme
04-28-2005, 09:57 AM
anyone evr seen a triple turbo before? :D probly a stupid comment but is it possible?

Yes, on a Supra (inline 6cyl), but it was more for the accomplishment than power.

ausie
04-29-2005, 07:17 AM
Okay, I can buy that. Considering how long both superchargers and turbos have been around, I would assume that there were dramatic developments in both. As for the heat build up from the roots (due to inefficient method of providing compression) we could always move up to a twin screw. Both are limited to the amount of air movement since they both have a fixed volume. Why not the use the Paxton or Vortec impeller type? They are similar to turbo's but will have a maximum speed governed by the crank shaft which is also a limiting factor with the positive displacement typs of the roots and twin screw designs. What governs turbos is pressure and bearing heat. Considering the RPM range of the impeller in a turbo, the design of the wate gate and so forth, I can see much higher gains reaching 1000 hp. It may be easier to use two tubos as compared to one, but there is limited space in the engine compartment for all of the plumbing associated with it. Even though the physical size of the turbo may be smaller than the positive displacement supercharger, to make it work would take up twice the volume of space than the huffer mounted in the valley of the mod motor. Considering the potential of turbos, I have no posing arguments why not to use them other than space or cost. Just think, twin turbo on a cobra. I guess it is a good thing to have vennom with your snake like the Hennesy Viper.

SVTcobra04
04-30-2005, 07:16 PM
i saw a vid. of a twin turbo viper on the highway :cool:

jackers
05-12-2005, 11:08 AM
Smashedheadcat is really smart with these cars. I do have some stuff to add. Turbo lag is almost gone. With high-horsepower V-8's have enough backpressure to spool turbos up really quick. Turbos are easier on internals of the engine as well. You have less stress on the No. 1 crank bearing and you dont have parasitic loss on it as well.

Now on the other hand the KB cars can get pretty fast as well. You can take a little little KB 2.2 and add a shot of the giggle gas. There are cars at 750 hp 855 tq on modfords.

If I had unlimited funds, I would go turbo. Unfortunately I am broke as hell, so I am doing mine in steps. My buddy has a built 4.6, automatic, solid axle car with a kenne bell 2.4 and nitrous. He is going for 9 second quarter miles off nitrous, 8's on the bottle. And he drives this car alot, could be his daily driver. KB's can go fast, but it will cost alot. Same goes for turbos. When you start busting out 10 second quarter mile times, you start breaking the bank.

jackers
05-12-2005, 11:11 AM
And I still like the idea of KB with nitrous to get way beyond 600 hp. SVTDubs is crushing that number!

psycho43142
05-13-2005, 11:36 PM
Just another point, turbo lag on a traction limited drag car could be considered a good thing.:thumbsup: