PDA

View Full Version : Thermostat and Operating Temperature

ProfChaos
04-24-2005, 07:09 PM
At what point on the temperature gauge does the cooling fan normally engage? (When I sit for any length of time in traffic, my '96 seems to run a bit hot for my tastes--well into the "M" in "NORMAL".)

Is it possible to replace the OEM thermostat with a lower-temperature thermostat, or will doing that cause problems with the computer?

Thanks for your help.
--Professor Chaos

tcrews
04-24-2005, 07:35 PM
Well "into the M" is perfectly normal, especially on a '96. You can rig a manual fan control, there are a few articles on how to do that posted around.....
Heh...here it is, in our own tech articles...

http://www.svtcobraclub.com/TechApplications/engine_n_tranny/96-98_Cobra_manual_fan_switch.pdf

These engines are designed to run warmer than the 5.0 so being on the M and the A in N-O-R-M-A-L is fine (if stuck in traffic). I used to have a chart of what each letter equalled in temperature but I can't find it.

Add a bottle of water-wetter, I've noticed that can help a bit.....

I wouldn't switch to a different temp thermostat myself.....just make sure cooling maintenance is done and you'll be fine (flushed, level checked, etc..).

ProfChaos
04-24-2005, 09:52 PM
Thank you for the helpful information.

I'll flush the radiator, change the coolant, and add Water Wetter. Since I just got the car, it would be nice anyway to have a point of reference for when the coolant was last changed.

cheers,
--Professor Chaos

Xaqcraw4d
04-24-2005, 11:52 PM
Do you know if it had the cooling system update done by Ford? If it didn't that's probably your problem. Mine didn't, and it overheats like mad if I'm stuck in traffic in 108 degree summers. Try the manual cooling switch - it seems to have helped a few people out - especially since you don't get any brutal heat like we do down here:thumbsup:

ausie
04-25-2005, 06:48 AM
If it is that hot out, use the air conditioner. That should keep the fan running all the time. You could use that as a cool down method while driving after making a quick run or two. However, if you do that at the track you will get into trouble since the condensor will build up condensation and drip water all over the track.

If you drop the thermostat temperature, you will need to program the change into the ECU by a programmer tuner since the fuel mix is temperature dependent to some degree. Not only will the fan kick in earlier, the engine will not be operating in the cold state since normal temperatures run at 190 and above.