PDA

View Full Version : 99 engine in 98?

Paradisd
04-27-2005, 07:29 PM
Anyone know what is involved in swapping in one of FRPP's 99 cobra engine and tranny setups into a 98? I know the 99 has a returnless fuel system and something about the crankshaft position sensors being different sizes. I'm wondering will the wiring harness in my 98 plug into the sensors of the 99 motor? Will the computer work with the 99? Can I just change out the fuel rails or do I need to change the whole intake? It doesn't seem like it would be all that difficult of a job and the price difference of dumping 5700.00 into that setup wouldn't be that much hight than rebuilding my motor, buying another tranny, oh yeah, and I need a clutch. I would love to find the person who owned this car last and strangle them!

http://www.fordracingparts.com/images/part/full/M6001C460.jpg

Stavesacre21
04-28-2005, 12:13 AM
I would love to find the person who owned this car last and strangle them!
Hey.....get in line
:rotf:

Paradisd
04-29-2005, 07:20 PM
no one knows what modifications would be necessary to fit this 99 motor into my 98?

tcrews
04-29-2005, 08:43 PM
Very little. You'll need '98 fuel lines, '98 valve covers and a few other pieces and all will fit just like stock. You can use the stock wiring harness (with a bit of splicing) and the stock computer though you'll have to get a lot of computer/dyno tweaking done since the engines are different (heads/intake, etc....plus no IMRCs). You'll also have to do something about reading your speed from the tranny mechanically since the '99 and up do it in the computer electronically. (which your computer doesn't support).

Plenty of people have done it. The engine doesn't care what type of fuel delivery system you use (return or returnless), the computer does...and since you have a '98 computer (return) it'd be easier to continue to run it as a return fuel system.

If it cost more than rebuilding your current, the wiser choice would be to rebuild your current engine. Not only will you not have to worry about the "little things" that crop up on different engine swap configuration but a rebuilt engine '98 engine will be much much much stronger than a '99 engine (stock hyperu"crap"tic pistons, weak rings) since you should be using forged components when you rebuild. Plus you'll typically have a slight cleaning/honing bore bringing you .020 over (283 cu. vs 281 cu.) and you could easily throw some boost on it. You could also go nuts on the rebuild and do a stroker/big-bore and up your stock compression ratio and make some really strong numbers naturally aspirated (though it'll be more expensive than just a rebuild).

Paradisd
05-05-2005, 05:45 PM
What I was looking at was the 99-01 setups from ford that come with the engine, tranny, wiring and computer. It sound like everything would be there to make it run and replace everything I used to have. I was hoping someone would chime in that had already tried it. Seeing how I need a tranny, clutch, and motor, the time I save buying it already together would be great.

Update: I pulled the motor last night and dropped the pan. Rod 1 and 8 bearings spun and destroyed the connecting rods. The crank is not looking all too hot either. No mains spun, but the metal circulating didn't do anything any good.

tcrews
05-05-2005, 06:10 PM
The amount of effort you would have in trying to wire the new system into your current wiring and PATS would be a huge undertaking. It's not a swap and play system....even with the wiring harness and computer from the '99. Even going with the '99 computer would create new issues since your fuel system is designed around the earlier return style. You'd need a new pump, a way to block off the return line......

Computer/PATS/Engine Wiring harness/Computer wiring/Pats wiring/Engine/Fuel system lot of work.

Paradisd
05-05-2005, 06:20 PM
crap, you are just full of good news.

No seriously though, thanks. If I would be creating that many issues, it's simply not worth it. The guys at Ford racing were telling me all I would need to do is use my fuel rails and I would be all set even with my computer, but I was thinking they were full of it. I don't understand, though, how the PATS system would be affected? I really don't care for the idea of buying the tools for the cams and messing with the chains. I'm thinking if I have to rebuild what I have, I may just want to drop it off somewhere, let them do it, and pick myself up a nice big jar of vasaline on the way home to prepare for the bill when I pick it up.

Stavesacre21
05-05-2005, 08:18 PM
I may just want to drop it off somewhere, let them do it, and pick myself up a nice big jar of vasaline on the way home to prepare for the bill when I pick it up.
Yea, i think they sell the 5 gallon buckets of KY @ Sam's Clubs....that should be close to covering it :eek:

Even though that does sound like yur best bet, you'll definetely have a small tab to pic up for such a "small" job :rolleyes:

Best of luck with whatever you do man! :thumbsup:

tcrews
05-06-2005, 09:19 PM
A basic rebuild (.020 overbore, forged pistons/rods/rings, balanced) short block is around $2800-$2900 or so. That doesn't include mounting the heads, cam timing/chains and intake installation. It's not that bad....doing it yourself can save some money (labor) but without the proper tools it's cheaper to have it built than buying everything for (hopefully) a one time build :)

Pull your engine, remove wiring harness and intake, etc... ship/drop off the block/heads and have a rebuild done. Pick it up, put the intake, wiring, exhaust back on and drop it in the car.

ausie
05-08-2005, 12:11 PM
Why not just drop in an 03/04 crate motor? I believe you can get that with the wire harness and ECU. Since you already have a return type fuel system, all you would need is an 03/04 fuel tank to go with it. Perhaps the cost may be on the high side. Actually what tcrews stated makes alot of sense. I would not go with the 99 motor due to the weak connecting rods and hyperetic pistions. Not to mention the valve overheat/cooling issues with the 99/01 heads ("C" castings). The 01/99 motors are weak on the torque side of things in the low RPM range due to low floor desing of the heads and improper runner length of the intake plenum. A set of Mach 1 heads or 04 SVT heads have a much higher flow rate, but you would need new headers to match the ehaust ports. Get a rebuild done by a shop would probably save time and money since they have all the tools to do it.

Mystic_Cobra
06-01-2005, 09:11 AM
A basic rebuild (.020 overbore, forged pistons/rods/rings, balanced) short block is around $2800-$2900 or so. That doesn't include mounting the heads, cam timing/chains and intake installation. It's not that bad....doing it yourself can save some money (labor) but without the proper tools it's cheaper to have it built than buying everything for (hopefully) a one time build :)

Pull your engine, remove wiring harness and intake, etc... ship/drop off the block/heads and have a rebuild done. Pick it up, put the intake, wiring, exhaust back on and drop it in the car.

I'm reading this post and taking notes because I know my 96 will need a rebuild sooner or later as I am now passing 145,000 miles and many of these miles have been on road courses.
My question, has the list of reputable 4.6 engine builders grown much beyond the 3 or 4 that were doing it a few years ago?
From my limited research, the only ones that come to mind are SHM and True Blue.
"Pull it, drop it off, and put it back" -- exactly what I plan to do.

tcrews
06-01-2005, 09:16 AM
There are quite a few.....VT Engines has a great reputation, Houston Performance, MVPerformance, True Blue....heck I just can't think of some of the others because I'm not looking. VT will probably do my next one as they have an incredible reputation." SHM has lost a lot of it's reputation from people who have had their SHM engines die prematurely.....and after opening them finding things "lacking" in what was requested.
I'm reading this post and taking notes because I know my 96 will need a rebuild sooner or later as I am now passing 145,000 miles and many of these miles have been on road courses.
My question, has the list of reputable 4.6 engine builders grown much beyond the 3 or 4 that were doing it a few years ago?
From my limited research, the only ones that come to mind are SHM and True Blue.
"Pull it, drop it off, and put it back" -- exactly what I plan to do.