PDA

View Full Version : JLT CAI Install...

RaciNUT
04-27-2005, 09:50 PM
Hi all -

I ordered the JLT on Saturday... and really didnt expect it to get there until the end of the week sometime! I got home from a Client office today, and my dream had come true...

Kids were gone, the wife had made Brats and Spicy curly fries... and she had that "I Miss You" look in her eyes! She even took the liberty of meeting me at the door with an ice cold Coors light! I KNEW it was going to be a good night!!

Out of the corner of my eye I spotted a brown box lying on the floor... and my suspicions were right! The JLT had arrived!! To say the least... the Brats and fries were good, the beer went down smooth... and well, a bit later, I opened the box to see what had arrived!

At 7:20PM, I headed outside with a trusty toolbox and the "Brown box"... The old stuff came off like a ricer air dam on a speed bump, and I was off to the races!

The first few parts went together very easily... I was a bit concerned that there was no rubber gasket between the MAF adapter and the unit itself, but that didnt slow me down a bit! Then when I got to connecting the "runner" with the Large reducer elbox... I thought Oh Heck, I've got the wrong parts! The runner diameter and the reducer diameter seemed almost identical, and i thought there was no way that rubber was going to stretch over that tube! 20 seconds later on high in the microwave... and a little liquid hand soap... it was a breeze!

So it all went together smooth... hearing air being sucked out of the fenderwell sounds pretty good from the front of the car... but I have a few quick questions.

1 - Was there supposed to be a rubber gasket of some type between the Adapter and the MAF unit?

2 - Has anyone ever lost a MAF or air filter going down the road with the way it just hangs in the fenderwell?

I think I am going to pull it back out this weekend, and get a wire strap of some kind to attach to the MAF coupler bolts as a safeguard! I dont mind losing a filter on a unseen bump, but that MAF will leave me sitting on the side of the road!!

Total install time - 45 minutes!

dewone
04-28-2005, 02:14 PM
Glad to see you had such a good day.
In so far as the wire on the JLT I don't think it's needed. Just make sure your fittings are tight.
I wouldn't put any chicken wire in your corba. IMHO

BadMoFo
04-29-2005, 08:36 PM
have had mine on for a few weeks now and have had zero problems. just make sure your clamps are tight and you wont have anything to worry about.

InfamousSVT
05-02-2005, 09:16 PM
I've had mine on for around 5,000 miles or so and absolutely no problems!:thumbsup:

Jay (JLT) makes a great kit and I actually have both of his kits, the RAI and the CAI.