PDA

View Full Version : lowered the cobra (too Low)

Cobra4me
04-27-2005, 09:06 PM
everybody I just got my car back from the shop. I had installed some lowering springs (intrax). What an expensive mistake. My car has be in excess of 3 inches lower. Im so pissed. I need some of you guys to give some advise on springs that will give me a medium not stock height but not ricer height. Will ford racing, h&r lower my car to a nice height. My front tires even rubbed tonight on the way home on small bump. My reasons for lowering was for looks but I wanted a good ride as well. In the install I also put on MM cc plates, and offset bushings from Steeda. I had planned to get shocks but now I have to start all over again. Any help will be appreciated
Rob K

Cobra4me
04-27-2005, 09:08 PM
sorry about he size of the pics
Rob k

cobrabitn
04-27-2005, 09:46 PM
Rob,

You have the wrong springs for your car. I would recommend getting the KB sport springs as they lower the car an inch and a half and I didn't even need CC plates for alignment on my 99 Cobra. Sorry about the trouble you are having but it sounds like you ought to return those springs for something else.

JMHO

Tony

1-QIK-SNK
04-27-2005, 09:52 PM
i used c-springs on my 96 and it only droped about 1.5 in the front and 3/4 in the rear. then when the pan hard bar was added the brackets they used for it lowerd the rear another 1/2" - 3/4" and now it is level and with the koni's the ride is good .

i think you would be happy with c or b springs or a set of eibach's

can a person buy thicker rubber pieces then when comes with stock springs?
good luck with what ya do.
kerry m.

Paradisd
04-27-2005, 09:55 PM
My last mustang I had I put the Ford Racing springs in. They rode nice but didn't lower the car enough to drag the belly everywhere. It would scrape on speed bumps if you didn't crawl over them, but I could live with that. Where I live, I can't imagine ever lowering another car. It's hard enough not to dent rims around here with the swiss cheese roads.

Cobra4me
04-28-2005, 05:29 PM
here are updated pics

Cobra4me
04-28-2005, 05:31 PM
I suck at the internet

nckissfan
04-28-2005, 05:35 PM
damn, that is low

Cobra4me
04-28-2005, 06:31 PM
http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y199/Robk17th/DCP_1797.jpg

http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y199/Robk17th/DCP_1783.jpg

Here again is my feeble attempt to post these pics
Robk

1-QIK-SNK
04-28-2005, 08:11 PM
that looks as low as my 96(mine may be lower). before you take the springs back out maybe get a good sent of struts and shocks. i am running koni's. I do how ever rub my exhaust, but that because i am running a spintech side exhaust and have about 3" of clearance between the pipe and the ground :(
before i put the side exhaust on i never rubbed.

Why Try?
04-28-2005, 09:13 PM
I actually like the look, if you got some wider beef on the back that thing would look nasty comming down the road, If i was you id just get some CC plates, and some adjustable shocks/sruts and let it "grow on you" youd be suprised!!!!!!!

InfamousSVT
04-28-2005, 09:17 PM
Looks good to me!

Mine sets really low also, I went with the H&R springs!

Cobra4me
04-28-2005, 10:33 PM
I actually like the look, if you got some wider beef on the back that thing would look nasty comming down the road, If i was you id just get some CC plates, and some adjustable shocks/sruts and let it "grow on you" youd be suprised!!!!!!! I did install the MM c/c plates, but have not gotten the shocks and struts. I know that is essential to help the ride. My concern is the front hitting/ rubbing going down a bumpy road. The cb pipe is only 4 to 5 inches from the ground
Thx
Robk

Why Try?
04-28-2005, 10:57 PM
I did install the MM c/c plates, but have not gotten the shocks and struts. I know that is essential to help the ride. My concern is the front hitting/ rubbing going down a bumpy road. The cb pipe is only 4 to 5 inches from the ground
Thx
Robk
Nothing will make you a better driver than driving a lowered car, you learn to watch way ahead of you for objects and you truely learn the height of objects, ive been driving lowred cars for over 6 years now and i can look at a driveway and tell you yes or no, it takes some getting use to but you will have a new respect for roads afterwards, you'll know every bump, every place to slow down, even when to change lanes on a highway to miss bumps. I LOVE IT

BadMoFo
04-29-2005, 07:32 PM
I know mm makes some spring isolators that are supposed to raise it a little and improve handling, maybe try those out, I know alot of people that went h&r and then with the iso's. I plan on h&r, personally I like how low it is.

casey99COBRA
04-29-2005, 08:50 PM
i think it looks good!

Stavesacre21
04-29-2005, 09:29 PM
damn, that is lowI concur :eek:

I'm a really big "stock" freak, and am pretty modest about my ride height...i wouldn't want more then a 1" drop tops

i couldn't blame you for wanting to go up an inch or 2

Cobra4me
04-30-2005, 01:53 AM
I concur :eek:

I'm a really big "stock" freak, and am pretty modest about my ride height...i wouldn't want more then a 1" drop tops i couldn't blame you for wanting to go up an inch or 2
Im not even sure it has completely settled or not. Mode point because I have already ordered the FR springs which will be here mid week after that I will repost some pics. Anybody want some intrax springs for a low, low price??
Rob K

PETSNKE
05-01-2005, 07:57 AM
I like the way it looks, but in all reality it will probably settle a little more after a couple weeks.

I have a brand new (in the box) Eibach Pro-Kit for a 99-04 Cobra that I can't use if your interested.

ausie
05-01-2005, 11:05 AM
I think that the mid section of the exhaust is probably the lowest part (area where H meats the CB). I forgot how much I disliked the 4x4 stance of my 01. It made the car look odd. As far as the body is concerned, it will take a bit if getting used too in order to avoid any high spots on the road. If the front tire is rubbing on the fender, you may be able to find the spot and possibly correct it before it cuts into a tire. I may have disliked the 4x4 stance, but on many of the back roads I drive on, I never bottomed out. On the contrary, the 04 does a little bit of asphault skipping every now and then on the same roads. Also, avoid parking too close to curb stops at convienence stores since they exceed 6 inches in height. I have rubbed a few of those in the 04 which still has the stock stance. I think the lowered appearance is an improvement :thumbsup:. Did you change the front spindal carriers? They will provide proper wheel travel geometry and prevent wheel rub on the fenders or struts.

1-QIK-SNK
05-01-2005, 11:17 AM
Im not even sure it has completely settled or not. Mode point because I have already ordered the FR springs which will be here mid week after that I will repost some pics. Anybody want some intrax springs for a low, low price??
Rob K
if you want to sell them try posting them on www.svtperformance.com in the market section. I would bet you would sell them in a couple of days. :thumbsup:

but on the ohter had maybe you can try and leave them on and get the new shocks and struts(good ones) and try it first before you take the spring out. then if you still dont like it put the fms springs in you bought. just a thought.
kerry m

NO 5 OH
05-04-2005, 01:52 PM
Who did the install for ya Rob? I'm actually in the camp of it doesn't look that bad to me as well.

Did you change the spring isolators when you had the springs done? The poly isolators from Maximum Motorsports will raise it up some... they actually raised mine up a bit too much in the rear of my convertible.

Let me know if you need some help with this or not.

Shannon