PDA

View Full Version : Steering rack problem, I think?

96Tripvert
05-02-2005, 12:51 PM
Help? Before I go out and buy a chiltons manual to fix, one side of my steering rack is leaking like a dam. Is this something I can fix with a manual or am I over my head. I am not a motor head yet, but would like to learn to be.

Thanks,:eek:

1-QIK-SNK
05-02-2005, 06:18 PM
I would think it would be the seals inside the rack. If im not mistaken if they go bad you have to replace the whole rack. :(
Im sure some one on here know for sure.
Kerry M.

ausie
05-03-2005, 06:43 AM
More than likely a replacement will be needed. That is one thing that I never had to tackle since most of the time it was still covered under warranty. You might be better off with a new one vrs a rebuilt.

wrenchturner
05-03-2005, 09:12 AM
I see this all the time on cars.. its the end seal thats bad. So the whole rack will need replaced.. Thats by far the easiest and cheapest way to go. You would have to remove the rack to rebuild it anyways. So why not replace it. Rebuilds are by far cheaper.. New can be VERY pricey sometimes. Its on a mustang at least not a very hard job if you can do alittle above easy mechanical work. The rack is pretty much in the open on the front of the crossmember.. the joint to the steering shaft is the only PITA usually. but if i remember right its only a 2-3 hour paid job in a shop so :) might wana go that route and sdave yourself some trouble.