PDA

View Full Version : Supercharger and 4.10's

Why Try?
05-04-2005, 02:17 PM
Well I was just told that I should probley be running a smaller gear when I get my Vortech S-Trim kit, is this true, i mean are 4.10's to steep for a supercharged 96 Cobra??? this will be a daily driver so please keep that in mind, and what gears should i get??? thanks

Big Daddy
05-04-2005, 02:40 PM
Well I was just told that I should probley be running a smaller gear when I get my Vortech S-Trim kit, is this true, i mean are 4.10's to steep for a supercharged 96 Cobra??? this will be a daily driver so please keep that in mind, and what gears should i get??? thanks

I don't think you'll need to change if you go with the S-trim. I'm running 3:73's and I am thinking of going back down to 3:55's but I have a little more RWHP than you will have! :D ;)

SNAKEYE
05-05-2005, 01:40 PM
Well I was just told that I should probley be running a smaller gear when I get my Vortech S-Trim kit, is this true, i mean are 4.10's to steep for a supercharged 96 Cobra??? this will be a daily driver so please keep that in mind, and what gears should i get??? thanksAm running 4.10's behind my Vortech. No idea what the HP is, just say it's enough! Your fuel mileage is going to suffer no matter what gear you put in, first because of the gear change, second because you are going to use them! When the IMRC's open and the S/C comes on it's hard not to go to 5K (or beyond) RPM just for the fun of it. On the highway my tach runs 2500 RPM at 70 MPH with 18" 295/35's. Not bad at all unless you're comparing to stock at around 2K. Am getting around 15 MPG all around. Don't really care, as it's a once, twice, maybe three times a week 60-mile round trip. Of course with the 4.10's you can trundle along at 25 MPH in 5-th gear in bumper-to-bumper traffic jams.
Your next big investment (if you haven't already done it) will be wheels and wide rubber in order to put the power to the asphalt.
You may also suffer from high engine temperatures with the S/C. 'SNAKEYE' is a '97. The temp gauge just loved to go to the "L" in "NORMAL", and beyond on hot days with the A/C on. I put in an Evans high flow coolant pump, did the high speed cooling fan mod, added an auxiliary "pusher" fan in front of the A/C condenser, put in a 180-degree T-stat, and finally put in a 2-core radiator. All is well now.
If you're gonna play you gotta pay!

STANGBUM
05-06-2005, 09:36 AM

Been running 4:10's with my S/C for over 3 yrs and its a daily driver...almost wish I had put 4:56 :D but seriously, great around town, and on the highway @ 70mph my rpms are around 2800.

Why Try?
05-06-2005, 03:15 PM
Been running 4:10's with my S/C for over 3 yrs and its a daily driver...almost wish I had put 4:56 :D but seriously, great around town, and on the highway @ 70mph my rpms are around 2800.
thanks for the infor, glad to be able tp keep the 4.10's i love em, sucks to eat up gas but hey thats what its for:thumbsup:

tcrews
05-06-2005, 10:14 PM
I love the 4.10s in my 570 rwhp daily driven Cobra.....so I don't think you'll have a problem. Might want to look at Nitto 555 DR's though as traction can be an issue...... :)

STANGBUM
05-08-2005, 10:54 AM
Getting ready to order some triple 5's :thumbsup:
maybe it will help the spin :cool: :D