PDA

View Full Version : Squeaking Noise - UK.

03ukcobra
05-12-2005, 10:06 AM
Sorry to be a pain in the butt folks, I live in the UK and own a 2003 Cobra. I have a terrible time getting it serviced etc, Ford UK dealers just look at it as though it is from Mars. I have a terrible squeaking noise coming from the back wheel whilst driving and it only goes away when the brakes are applied. I recently had the rear brakes changed and the garage told me this would solve the problem........wrong! I only know how to drive em...
It is a fantastic car and just blows all cars out the water here in the UK, I would hate the thought of ever having to let it go.
Great site and many thanks.

nufc1
05-13-2005, 10:13 AM
sorry m8 i dont know a thing about then as well . i just drive mine 04 svt cobra here in the usa but i am from NEWCASTLE TYNE&WEAR glad to see you got a stang there bet it turns peoples heads . i peeed all my mates off when i told them about my new car lmao. i now live in boston , hope these guys can help you sort it out. best of luck

beerkat
05-13-2005, 11:39 AM
Glad to see you made it over here. It may take a little time but someone will be able to help you.:thumbsup: We got a great group of cobra owners here and most, if not all, enjoy sharing thier knowlegde and helping fellow Cobra owners.:rotf:

Here is a link to Helm Inc.. You can order the shop manual for your car on CD. It is the one that Ford dealer use. It cost $170 US but is well worth it. It is for the '03 Mustang but it covers the Cobra as well.
http://www.helminc.com/helm/homepage.asp?Style=&mscsid=7DA8978UV98V8LBBHS7C8Q197NCQB6S9
Make sure that you get Version 2.0 March 2005. the number on the disc is FCS-12946-03. Even if you do not work on your own car having this information might help others who do.

03ukcobra
05-13-2005, 12:29 PM
Guys, Thanks a lot for this I really appreciate the help. I will take up the link now and let you know how I get on.
The noise is really annoying but it in no way effects the performance of the car.
Have a great weekend all.

ausie
05-15-2005, 11:20 AM
What sounds like the issue is the rotors. If you did not have them turned down and resurfaced, they will squeel. Also, you need to season the brakes after the install by starting a full stop at a slow speed (30mph) followed by another 10miles faster on up to 60mph. (not sure what those speeds are in killometers). The squeel may be a result of rotor glazing which is normal but can be reduced by seasoning of the brake pads. Also, some brake pads will cause a squeel if they are not good quality or if the materials are different than the factory parts. However, it the squeel begins to sound like a freight train (squeel and clunking) it may be a wheel bearing. If a wheel bearing goes, it is like driving a car with loose lug nuts. Also, if you replace the rotors, they have to be cleaned with brake parts cleaner followed by soap and water to remove the laquer used preserve the steel. If you do not clean them, you will get glazing.