PDA

View Full Version : Throttle Body Cleaner?

cobra2112
05-14-2005, 04:23 PM
I bought some Gumout Throttle body and intake cleaner for my 04 and on the directions it says not to use on supercharged motors. I have read somewhere in one of these threads that someone has used it on these cars. (not sure where?) But because of my car taking in the excess oil from the pulley mod I would like to clean the intake every oil change. Anybody know why I can't use this cleaner or of a cleaner that my be ok to use on my car. Thanks!!:thumbsup:

ausie
05-15-2005, 10:06 AM
Some cleaners may attack teflon coatings on the rotors of the supercharger. It all depends on the chemical make-up of the cleaner. Some contain other hydrocarbons or combustionable fluids like propane etc.... which may reduce the octane of the fuel mixture and lead to detonation. I found that Berryman's B-12 chemtool works well if used properly. Best if used on a cold engine otherwise it will just evaporate on a hot surface. Read the contents of the can before buying. Some are not even approved for use with fuel injection. Use caution with any throttle body cleaner as they will remove paint within seconds.