PDA

View Full Version : header leak problem

OBI ONE
05-21-2005, 12:52 AM
I have an 03 Cobra with JBA headers and have a really bad header leak on the passenger side. I have tried to tighten the bolts and can not reach the back bolts. I bought the car with the headers already on there. Does any one know if it can be done with out pulling the engine or tilting it? I treid to take the starter off but the bottom bolt on that is stripped and was getting very mad and lost patience, so I stopped. Please help.:mad:

NO 5 OH
05-21-2005, 04:02 AM
I have an 03 Cobra with JBA headers and have a really bad header leak on the passenger side. I have tried to tighten the bolts and can not reach the back bolts. I bought the car with the headers already on there. Does any one know if it can be done with out pulling the engine or tilting it? I treid to take the starter off but the bottom bolt on that is stripped and was getting very mad and lost patience, so I stopped. Please help.:mad:

As much as I hate to say this... about the only way to get to the header bolts on the passenger side is to drop the entire front suspension and get it out of the way. You can use an engine hoist (perferred) or a cherry picker will work too to hold the engine up with the k-member out of the way. I know this sounds like a bunch of work (and it is... I just did it three weeks ago) but it's probably the easiest way to fix an exhaust leak on the headers.

You can possibly "jack" the motor over to the driver's side and get the passenger side up and tilted a bit to give you access to the bolts. The only other option would be to take the engine out... but that's more work as well and the other ways I mentioned are shorter on labor ;)

It sucks I know... my car was down for almost a month with a header leak. I took the k-member, etc. out to have an easier shot at the bolts... and while I had everything out of the way I installed Stage 8 bolts with some blue loctite on them. I made sure I wouldn't be doing this again.

Let me know if I can help any other way,

Shannon

OBI ONE
05-23-2005, 03:25 PM
Thank you for the help. Looks like I have a long weekend ahead of me.

InfamousSVT
05-23-2005, 10:02 PM
Yeah Shannon can help you out with about any part that you need worked on the car. He's done almost everything......

He just isn't happy unless his car's up on jackstands, almost brings a tear to my eye:rotf: :rotf:

j/k Shannon..........call me, I need to know when you're coming over this weekend and what day! If you wait too long, I'm just going to screw my car up myself!:eek: :doubt:

-Jason

dewone
05-24-2005, 08:14 AM
OBI ONE Try jacking the car up. On Jack stands. Loosen both engine mounts.
Using a block or something to protect the bottum of the engine, and jack the engine up carefully. This should give enough clearance.

OBI ONE
05-26-2005, 02:11 AM
Thanks guys, I will attempt to do this over the weekend. I will let you all know how it turns out.

OBI ONE
05-31-2005, 08:15 AM
Thanks guys. I finally was able to tighten my header bolt, and no more leak. She sounds so much better.:thumbsup:

blk04cobra1
05-31-2005, 09:55 AM
any idea on how much extra power the JBA's gave you? I just got my BBK LT's in last week...and am anxious to see what they do

OBI ONE
06-04-2005, 09:08 PM
Off hand no. But I will know on sunday. I am putting the car on a dyno to find out what she puts out. I will post my findings tomorrow. :bounce:

OBI ONE
06-05-2005, 10:29 PM
blko4cobra1, I dyno the car and got 450RWHP and 475RWTQ. They say the headers played a small role in the hp gain. About 9-12 hp. I need to get a set of Bassani exhaust and release some back pressure. I will have this corrected and a better tune by next sunday when I re dyno the car again.

blk04cobra1
06-06-2005, 09:53 AM
I responded in your other thread...you should see a nice improvement with a new C/B, intake, and tune :thumbsup: