PDA

View Full Version : Strut tower brace?

SVTcobra04
05-30-2005, 01:52 PM
anyone ever put on a 3pt strut tower brace on there cobra?you think it would improve handling?

InfamousSVT
05-30-2005, 06:03 PM
Yes it will improve the feeling in the steering by stiffening up the front end..............but depending on what kind of intake you have you will have a problem finding a strut tower brace that will fit.

Good luck!:thumbsup:

SVTcobra04
05-30-2005, 07:32 PM
ive got a steeda.u know if that will cause problems?heres a pic of engine.sorry if its a bit large.
http://i7.photobucket.com/albums/y292/Cobra-Kicks-Ass/Picture138.jpg

InfamousSVT
05-30-2005, 07:35 PM
Yes a strut tower brace will work with that!:thumbsup:

SVTcobra04
05-30-2005, 08:03 PM
are they just bolt on.what tools do u need?

InfamousSVT
05-30-2005, 08:30 PM
Yes they will bolt to the firewall and beside the C/C plates........you will need to drill some holes for it and then just bolt it right in.:)

cobra330
05-30-2005, 09:17 PM
You may want to consider springs and full length subframes...as I think this may tighten your car up more than the strut tower brace..I was told..and now I have seen it in person that Subframe Connectors once installed...make your car feel like it is riding on rails..and I believe it now..that's why mine go on in 2 weeks. Springs also will help...along with lowering the Cobra from it's 4x4 stock stance...Just my .02.

SVTcobra04
05-30-2005, 09:19 PM
cobra330, i sent u an email.u get it?yea thats a good point cobra330.the cobra does need to be a lil lower.

OBI ONE
05-31-2005, 07:12 AM
Agree on lowering the Cobra and adding subframes. I have the both front and rear tower brace and subframes and love them. How ever on my front brace I find it hard to get my dip stick out. I have to angle it out. Maybe just my car.

cobra330
05-31-2005, 09:01 AM
cobra330, i sent u an email.u get it?yea thats a good point cobra330.the cobra does need to be a lil lower.

Got it and responded! Let me know where you are in MD...and I'll see what I can do about shops. I sent you 2 but, I am still looking for more myself.

davelegguy
05-31-2005, 10:48 AM
I added the full kenny brown stuff almost as soon as i got my car and it made a big difference. When I added the kene bell blower we had to take the strut tower bar off because it didn't fit over the new blower and boy did it make a difference for the worse a lot more shimmy in the bumps. I went down to kenney brown and they used my car to make the jigs for the kenne bell blower and sent me seriall#001 and it really made a big difference for the better again. ;)

spitfire
06-01-2005, 09:23 AM
Be careful if you buy the Kenny Bell front tower brace and Steeda four bolt strut plates. I installed these with the Strut tower brace on bottom. Had to do some grinding, both on the Brace and the plates. But I got the Kenny Bell brace because I have the BBK intake tube and I still had to dent the tube slightly so it would clear.

I Now have lowered Steeda springs and subframe and strut braces front and back, and yes it rides like it's on rails!

puzzle13
06-01-2005, 04:48 PM
You might want to try a 4 point strut tower brace. I had the MM full length subframe connectors & the MM strut tower brace installed and it definately stiffened up my 03 Convertible. I had already put on Steeda Sport Springs and changed all of the bushings. I had rubbing problems on the rear fenders with 10.5 rims and 315 Goodyear rubber until I installed the sub frame connectors & the strut tower brace. Go with the full length connectors and definately the 4 pt. brace!

FearTheSnake
06-02-2005, 11:22 AM
anyone ever put on a 3pt strut tower brace on there cobra?you think it would improve handling?
Did a dumb thing :mad: in the Mystichrome last week, accidently hit the small island median on the left front tire while traveling about 40 mph. Ran right over it and broke the Strut, popped a tread on the Goodyear and broke shock.

One front end alignment & $823. bucks later I'm out the door from Ford.

Gonna be another month before the Diablo Predator, Tune and Pulley swap now.:(

Scream Machine
06-07-2005, 05:18 PM
We manufacture 2003-2004 Cobra 4 point strut tower braces built to spec.(your application) We have some available for BBK applications. These do work with all caster camber plate setups. Constructed of 1" .094 cold rolled steel with 1/4 " mounting plates, 3 (5/16") bolts per tower. These are nice show quality pieces. All welds are dressed and finished. Color choice of black or titanium metallic. $135.00 including all stainless hardware. Check us out at www.screammachinescustoms.com (http://www.screammachinescustoms.com) or call me direct at 803-518-0947.
Thanks, Ronnie Stokes SCMC # 01068 2004 Screamin yellow vert.

InfamousSVT
06-08-2005, 12:18 AM
Ronnie's going to build mine for me:D :D ............when ever I can get the car down there!:thumbsup:

spitfire
06-08-2005, 05:35 PM
We manufacture 2003-2004 Cobra 4 point strut tower braces built to spec.(your application) We have some available for BBK applications. These do work with all caster camber plate setups. Constructed of 1" .094 cold rolled steel with 1/4 " mounting plates, 3 (5/16") bolts per tower. These are nice show quality pieces. All welds are dressed and finished. Color choice of black or titanium metallic. $135.00 including all stainless hardware. Check us out at www.screammachinescustoms.com (http://www.screammachinescustoms.com/) or call me direct at 803-518-0947.
Thanks, Ronnie Stokes SCMC # 01068 2004 Screamin yellow vert.I wish I knew that before I bought my three point Kenny Brown and had to modify it to fit the Steeda four point strut plates and I had to dent my BBK intake because the brace hit it. :(

cobrabitn
06-08-2005, 08:53 PM
Ronnie will be building mine too! :thumbsup:

wvmystichrome
06-12-2005, 01:07 AM
I have the Sub frame connector, the Strut tower brace and the K-member brace by Kenny Brown on my 1990 GT. Took it to the dealer to have my 3.73's put in a few years ago and the tech got in and drove it around the back of the building to the service bay. When he got out he called for me to come into the service area saying there was something bad wrong with my car. Asked if it had been wrecked or not and I told him only if it had been before I drove it off the showroom floor. He proceeded to lift the car up and when he saw the braces he said no wonder the car was so tight. No give at all. It had stopped all the rubbing above the doors on the trim work. And the ride is good an solid. All the braces really made a difference. Launches great at the track too. I want the jacking rails but I just got my new 04 Cobra in January so I have to worry about it for now and wait for the 90's other enhancements later.

blk04cobra1
06-12-2005, 06:52 PM
I just ordered the Matrix system for my '04...can't wait, was told it makes a huge difference in the handling, plus it'll give my chassis that much needed extra support :D

mojosvt
10-19-2005, 05:00 PM
Tony, did you ever get that strut tower brace installed with the JLT? Just wondering, I had a JLT on my 01, and loved it. Would like to do the same with tthe 03, but plan on installing a strut tower brace. I know you have a JLT, just wondering how it all worked out

InfamousSVT
10-19-2005, 08:35 PM
Ronnie built me mine with my JLT and it worked out great.............I love it :thumbsup:

cobrabitn
10-19-2005, 08:53 PM
Mike,

Ronnie said it would work on my Cobra but he made a modified brace that is much more user friendly and will clear the JLT CAI/RAI but the catch is that it will make contact with your hood blanket. Unfortunately, I do not want to remove my hood blanket so for now, I do not have one until some other type brace gets fabricated.

Tony

mojosvt
10-24-2005, 07:39 AM
So Infamous, does yours rub on your hood blanket?Any way you could post a few pics?

InfamousSVT
10-24-2005, 09:31 PM
So Infamous, does yours rub on your hood blanket?Any way you could post a few pics?
I actually took my insulator out...........with the water spots it was getting along with opening the vents up for more heat to escape.

Here's a picture of what I did.
http://www.svtcobraclub.com/forums/vbgarage.php?do=getimage&id=417

KCCobra03
10-24-2005, 10:39 PM
InfamousSVT,
What is that on the underside of you hood?? Is it paint? Or something else? I also removed my insulator and removed the pieces blocking those vents from allowing more air to escape. Let the beast breath! I hate how warm they run in the summer time especially how they heat soak.

InfamousSVT
10-25-2005, 02:58 AM
InfamousSVT,
What is that on the underside of you hood?? Is it paint? Or something else? I also removed my insulator and removed the pieces blocking those vents from allowing more air to escape. Let the beast breath! I hate how warm they run in the summer time especially how they heat soak.
Actually it's undercoating.......made by SIMS. Take off the insulator, clean up the hood, and then tape it off and spray away............becareful for the overspray! :thumbsup:

mojosvt
10-26-2005, 09:45 PM
Man, that looks fricken sweet with the hood shocks. Is there any way you could post a few more pics. Would love to see what the JLT looks like with the strut tower brace. How long have you had your hood painted like that? And problems with heat on the hood, i am afraid that the paint on the other side will discolor or bubble. That blower puts off a ton a fricken heat.

InfamousSVT
10-27-2005, 07:16 AM
I will try to get some pics this weekend and post them up! :thumbsup:

mojosvt
10-28-2005, 10:00 AM
Thanks a ton, I will be looking forward to seeing them.

ProfChaos
10-28-2005, 11:16 PM
Steeda makes a three-point strut tower brace for the '03-'04, and it seems to have the same mounting points as the brace on my '96 (three bolt holes at the front of each of the strut towers, two bolt holes at the fire wall).

Steeda claims the following regarding the two-point and three-point strut tower brace for the '03 Cobra:

"Reduce strut tower flex, improve handling and stiffen the chassis with this 4130 moly alloy strut tower brace. Two-point brace ties strut towers together; three-point triangulates with added firewall mount for maximum stiffness. Both have been engineered by Steeda to clear the Cobra supercharger without compromising performance."

---
**MSRP $119.95 for two-point; $149.95 for three-point**
Steeda Home Page (http://www.steeda.com)
---

And, as a few other people have noted, several of the cold-air intakes that I've seen--especially the big, flashy, polished monsters--would likely prevent one from adding the Steeda three-point strut tower brace; some cold air intakes would obstruct the area of deflection for the three-point strut tower brace. (It's a fairly tight squeeze between an OEM supercharger/aftermarket supercharger and the Steeda three-point strut tower brace.) Even so, cold air intakes with clearances identical to or very close to the OEM intake should be fine; and, there's always the K&N filtercharger as an alternative to CAI: Those thinking of adding the strut tower brace but not wanting to eliminate intake mods might consider that the K&N filtercharger does match OEM specs, as it fits into the OEM air box.

Those with CAI might see the above post about custom-made, application-specific strut tower braces. Or, get a hammer and dent the intake-side of the three-point brace, like spitfire did. :)

My '96 Cobra, Lorena the Magical Cobra Queen, came out of the crate with the three-point strut tower brace (basically identical to the one Steeda sells for the '03-'04 Cobra), and she does carve the corners better than any of the '03's and '04's I've test-driven. Even so, that might be due, in part, to the smaller dimensions of the Gen 2 body, and, in part, to me not feeling as comfortable pushing the limits through the corners with a slightly nervous salesperson in the passenger's seat. :D

At any rate, I'm planning on buying an '03 drop-top to serve as a "garage queen/lady-killer/Sunday-driver" and will add to it the Steeda three-point brace; Steeda moly, light-weight subframe connectors, and Koni adjustable shocks, when I have the suspension lowered. :thumbsup:

cheers,
Professor Chaos

InfamousSVT
11-03-2005, 12:01 AM
Thanks a ton, I will be looking forward to seeing them.Sorry it took so long to get the pictures up, been busy at work, but here they are! :thumbsup:

mojosvt
11-03-2005, 08:17 AM
well, that looks fricken sweet

on your jlt, did you have it custom made without the breather port. I see you have a small filter on the engine side, but no open port on the jlt?

I think that is the way that I am going to have to go, I really want the JLT, but really need a strut tower brace. That looks like the combo to get it done. I also for sure am going to remove the heat shield, give her some undercoating, and throw in some hood shocks to clean things up a little. Looks great. I probably will be writing you with like a thousand questions. Thanks for everything, Mike

Scream Machine
11-03-2005, 08:53 PM
Wow Jason! Great Pictures! Those are some good looking Mods under there!!:D Maranda;)

TL04SVT
11-05-2005, 02:25 AM
MojoSVT..........^^^^^ Ronnie and Maranda are the ones that are responsible for why my car looks so good!..........Ronnie does a great job and stands beside his work :thumbsup: .............BTW this is Infamous (friends username)

ProfChaos
11-11-2005, 12:47 AM
Here's a link to the Kenny Brown Chassis Support Kit, a kit that includes three-point strut tower brace, four-point lower chassis brace, and "double-cross" subframe connectors:

Kenny Brown Chassis Support Kit (http://www.mustangsunlimited.com/itemdy00.asp?T1=KBP5+01)

cheers,
Professor Chaos