PDA

View Full Version : 99 rear brakes

64alp
05-31-2005, 08:35 PM
As in earlier posts I had a bit of an issue with the rear brake calipers but the real issue is with the brake pad bracket. It has two floating posts that the caliper bolts into. After removal of the old pads I noticed that one of the posts was siezed. I took the entire bracket off and tried to lossen it. Used liquid wrench, c clamp, bench vice etc. No luck on freeing it. I only have 50k miles on the car does this seem odd? Does anyone have any experiance with this sort of problem. It looks like the only solution is to get a new bracket.

Thanks for the help.

wrenchturner
05-31-2005, 09:43 PM
working on cars for a living you see this problem alot to be honest. I saw it on my 01 when i did the rear brakes with one of the slides, with only 30k on it too. I managed to free it up though. You could check with your local parts store and they might be able to order you a new slide set up. or maybe ford. Then maybe see if a local shop wiill use a torch to heat it up to get it out of the bracket for you. If they can. only other way I can think of is to replace the bracket or the whole cally.. sorry.

64alp
06-01-2005, 08:26 AM
Thanks for the info. I have changed my own brakes for 20 years but not for a living. I have never seen this before. Its almost like the design allowed the piston to over travel. I guess the heat is so strong it doesnt take long to lock it in place. Thanks for the info.

Mystic_Cobra
06-01-2005, 08:44 AM
There's definitely a design issue since so many of us have had issues with these things seizing up. Try soaking the think in WD40 over night.

64alp
06-01-2005, 04:27 PM
I will try that tonight. Just got back from the dealer. $71.00 for the bracket and new pin set.