PDA

View Full Version : New Clutch Problem!

AirForce1
06-07-2005, 02:49 PM
I would like to ask if anyone has a recommendation for a clutch replacement for my car. A local shop installed a Spec II clutch, pressure plate, throwout bearing and flywheel. There was a chatter in this clutch when I first got it back and I was told that this is normal. Now, after only 800 miles, the pedal started to go to the floor. I took it back to the shop and was told that there is a lot of clutch disc dust around the bell housing and the clutch was probably shot (!!!)

I was told that it may be the way that I drive (I had no problem for the last 30,000 miles with the original clutch) and that since they have increased the HP with mods, they say that they might "work with me" but they also say that they installed the clutch correctly and they are not responsible for this problem!

Does anyone have any suggestions? Was this the right clutch package in the first place? Is this shop right in not taking responsibility for a failure after only 800 miles?

ORANGE CRUSH
06-07-2005, 03:09 PM
Thats all that HP(470) you have eating up your clutch.:D

Really though, get a Spec III or a Centerforce AND an adjustable clutch quadrant for your cable.

And then get one of us to show you how to drive it.:D

You'll put your eye out kid......

97CasperCobra
06-07-2005, 03:59 PM
Does anyone have any suggestions?

learn how to drive a standard??? :thumbsup: :p

or just get another '03-04 clutch assembly since you had such luck with that one.

Firme
06-07-2005, 04:05 PM
besides for the chatter when you first got it back, was there anything to note in those 800 miles?

cobrapace94
06-07-2005, 04:22 PM
Spec says it takes around 500 miles to break in one of their clutches & that the chatter is normal in the break in period. With out removing the tranny & checking the disk, how can the shop say what is wrong with it & that they are not responcible? If they give you a hard time, call Spec & talk to them. It could be that the adjustment was out & the clutch was slipping? Did you notice any slipping? Did you call the shop on the chattering? If so, then it is on them.
In my opinion, the shop should stand behind their work.

sbc.cobra
06-07-2005, 06:13 PM
this happened to me and here is what i did...go buy some "racing" shoes or order them from Summit magazine. these shoes help you "feel" the clutch better and you will be able to get a better read on what it is doing. if you don't want to buy racing shoes, buy some wrestling shoes from Academy and use those for driving. then just change shoes before you get out of the car. wrestling shoes work well b/c they are thin like racing shoes...good luck :thumbsup:

ORANGE CRUSH
06-07-2005, 06:15 PM
Yeah, This worked for me too.:thumbsup:

ORANGE CRUSH
06-07-2005, 06:20 PM
Aron, If you don't have a quadrant then you should be able to adjust your clutch pedal by lifting it, like the stock clutch.

Carl G
06-07-2005, 06:22 PM
I had a stage 2 clutch and it did the same thing. Did the shop even think that the cluth is defective. It probably was and they should be willing to go back to the manufacturer and get it taken care of. Mine was making the same kind of noise till it starting falling apart. I went back to factory clutch on mine. Probably two things happened (1) they installed improperly (2) the clutch was defective. They dont go out that fast.

Shane
06-08-2005, 11:02 AM
Hey man i had a 99 cobra ,,,,,, i put a centerforce stage 3 clutch in. had the same problem centerforce replaced it for free ....make sure you get the adjustable clutch quadrant makes a big diff ,,,,,,,,after the 2nd clutch it worked great .....Watch these guys out there that say they no cobra"s mustangs ,,,,driving one and working on one totaly diff .. :thumbsup:

AirForce1
06-08-2005, 03:39 PM
learn how to drive a standard??? :thumbsup: :p
:321: :p

AirForce1
06-08-2005, 03:40 PM
besides for the chatter when you first got it back, was there anything to note in those 800 miles?not that i could think of

AirForce1
06-08-2005, 03:42 PM
I had a stage 2 clutch and it did the same thing. Did the shop even think that the cluth is defective. It probably was and they should be willing to go back to the manufacturer and get it taken care of. Mine was making the same kind of noise till it starting falling apart. I went back to factory clutch on mine. Probably two things happened (1) they installed improperly (2) the clutch was defective. They dont go out that fast.no, it was Houston performance and they say that they put it in right.

Carl G
06-08-2005, 04:56 PM
no, it was hp and they say that they put it in right.
no offense airforce but your car is not godzilla and it is not 800 HP so tell them to get real. I am running factory clutch with 550 RWHP and it will hold. Unless you were in the boost all the time you need to press on with the idea it might have been bad or defective and they did not install properly. Probably both.

jimmysidecarr
06-09-2005, 09:39 AM
I gotta go with Carl here :thumbsup:
That clutch should not have failed that fast!!!
I would lean on them a little bit... possibly imply that legal action MAY have to be taken if a resolution can not be found...(see what your dad thinks of this option)

If that fails and you have to go out of pocket on a new clutch...
It looks like guys are having really good results on high horsepower cars with the new Centerforce DFX muti-puck set up
--->good reading here----> http://www.modularfords.com/forums/showthread.php?t=29609&highlight=centerforce+clutch

Also many success stories with the McCleod also...

For sure a GOOD aftermarket quadrant is in order, and the LDC return spring mod is also a great idea(saves your throwout bearing)...

Jimmy :thumbsup:

AirForce1
06-09-2005, 10:32 AM
no offense airforce but your car is not godzilla and it is not 800 HP so tell them to get real. I am running factory clutch with 550 RWHP and it will hold. Unless you were in the boost all the time you need to press on with the idea it might have been bad or defective and they did not install properly. Probably both.yea that is what houston performance said is that maby i was riding the cluch:mad:

I mean come on i got 37,000 miles of the stock cluck and 800 on the new cluck now i hardly think that it was me. but they still want to charge me to replase it. does any one know if slaters is a good shop to go to?

i was looking at the spec 2 information and there is a stage 2 to for 3.8 L and 3.4L maby they put the rong one in because I have 470 torque and the max torque for for the two cluches are different so could they have the rong cluch in the car?

97CasperCobra
06-09-2005, 10:52 AM
Aaron...Slater's is a really good shop, I'd try to take it there. Always get a second opinion man. Let us know what it is. :thumbsup:

cobrapace94
06-09-2005, 01:18 PM
Slaters does good work, but I would try & get the shop who put it in to correct the problem.
Have you given Spec a call or send a email to them? Get in contact with Spec.
Good reason to do it yourself!!
Good luck.

Firme
06-09-2005, 01:29 PM
Aaron,

I would STRONGLY suggest you follow Darrell's(cobrapace94) suggestions, re-read both of his posts in this thread.

good luck man.

AirForce1
06-09-2005, 01:51 PM
Aaron,

I would STRONGLY suggest you follow Darrell's(cobrapace94) suggestions, re-read both of his posts in this thread.

good luck man.
will do thanx:thumbsup:

AirForce1
06-09-2005, 06:18 PM
i took the car to the dealer to get a service and they looked at the cluch for me and I got a call just an hour ago and they said the cluch is fine.:thumbsup: just adjust the cable. the car also had a sputer when you start the car and it turned out to be the o2 sensers were bad. (a $600 senser) because who ever put the air fule guage on they dident do it right.:mad: but i should have the car back friday.:):burnout:

cobrapace94
06-10-2005, 03:05 PM
Glad it was a easy fix Aaron. So the shop did not adjust the clutch after they installed the new one? Did the chatter go away yet? Might take the bill by & let the shop know about how it was fixed & they would not help you & you will keep that in mind next time you need work or mods done to the car!!

sbc.cobra
06-13-2005, 10:58 AM
i took the car to the dealer to get a service and they looked at the cluch for me and I got a call just an hour ago and they said the cluch is fine.:thumbsup: just adjust the cable. the car also had a sputer when you start the car and it turned out to be the o2 sensers were bad. (a $600 senser) because who ever put the air fule guage on they dident do it right.:mad: but i should have the car back friday.:):burnout:

$600 for the 02 sensors?! i cross threaded one of mine in my first Cobra and it only cost me $75 for one of them...got it from Joe Myers parts department.

93KingCobra
06-13-2005, 12:15 PM
$600 for the 02 sensors?! i cross threaded one of mine in my first Cobra and it only cost me $75 for one of them...got it from Joe Myers parts department.

Ditto...They are not that expensive you might want to double check that price...What I would do is just call the part dept. and get a price check and do it yourself..

AirForce1
06-13-2005, 04:11 PM
the chater is gone I took the car to slaters and they are going to install a cluch setter. i cant remember what it is called but they put it on the firewall and it has three settings so i can move the pedle up or down.

jimmysidecarr
06-13-2005, 04:19 PM
the chater is gone I took the car to slaters and they are going to install a cluch setter. i cant remember what it is called but they put it on the firewall and it has three settings so i can move the pedle up or down.

Good deal!!

Aaron...
Love ya man... but please...
Download and use this program... ---> http://www.iespell.com/download.php

That spelling .......it's painful... :rolleyes:

Jimmy :doh2:

spitfire
06-13-2005, 07:12 PM
Aaron, glad it finally worked out for you, I have always used Slaters, I wouldn't take my car anywhere else. Long drive for me, but well worth it. Slaters told me along time ago I needed to change my quadrant, cable and install adjusters. SInce I don't drive drive mine as much as you, I put those on the back burner! Let me know how it feels once they adjust it for you! I always hated mine because I have to push all the way to the floor! But like I said I don't drive it much! Good luck, and Maybe catch up with you in July!

Chuck :thumbsup:

ORANGE CRUSH
06-13-2005, 08:10 PM

WTF is a clutch setter??????? Do you mean clutch quadrant????

cobrapace94
06-13-2005, 11:54 PM
I would asume it is a triple hook quadrant with a firewall adjuster.. That's what I got & where I got it from, Slaters.
Not sure what sensor cost $600? That a little expensive for a sensor. Who installed the air fuel ratio gauge? The same shop that installed & adjusted the clutch?

AirForce1
06-14-2005, 04:28 PM
Aaron, glad it finally worked out for you, I have always used Slaters, I wouldn't take my car anywhere else. Long drive for me, but well worth it. Slaters told me along time ago I needed to change my quadrant, cable and install adjusters. SInce I don't drive drive mine as much as you, I put those on the back burner! Let me know how it feels once they adjust it for you! I always hated mine because I have to push all the way to the floor! But like I said I don't drive it much! Good luck, and Maybe catch up with you in July!

Chuck :thumbsup:at least it is a fun drive:thumbsup: and yes it is a cluch quadrant