PDA

View Full Version : squeeky rack and pinion bushing

Schleprock
06-08-2005, 12:02 AM
I have my '03 lowered with H&R Sport springs and after a while it developed a squeek in the bushings around the rack & pinion. I happens most when the car is stationary. I replaced with urathane bushings and it still squeeks. Do I need to do something more drastic? Has anyone else had any issues like this? Let me know. It is pretty annoying.

InfamousSVT
06-08-2005, 12:06 AM
Yeah mine had the squiking sound, but it was due to the bushings not being tightened enough and the rack and pinion was moving back and forth when turning the wheel. I tightened down the bolts and have had no problems out of it since then.

I replaced mine with the aluminum bushings from Maximum.

I'm sure a couple more people will chime in and let you know what they did, this has been discussed before, so there is a fix for it.

Good luck!:thumbsup:

blk04cobra1
06-08-2005, 08:47 AM
mine does it as well...gonna have the shop tightening everything up and hopefully it'll go away....nothing more embarrassing than having a sweet car squeak when you turn the wheel :rotf:

ausie
06-11-2005, 12:42 PM
I have a cure for that. :D What I found was the support pin that holds the rack in place and goes through the K-member. The issue at hand is that the 12mm bolt is too small for the pin. The entire assembly including the bolt actually move when turning the steering wheel. This will place more stress on the bolt end (closer to the engine). My fix was to replace the 12mm bolt with a 1/2 inch bolt, 4 stainless washers per bolt and free-spin nut with the teeth on the one end. The only way to insert the larger bolt is to use a hammer and tap it in (the nuts go on the opposite side). sort of a reverse of the factory. You would need a 1/2 inch drill bit to open up the bushing washer hole. So far, the squeek has not returned. I only did this since tightening up the factory bolt did nothing to reduce the rack movement. The squeek kept comming back. IF you do this, you should file down the first thread on the bolt so it does not pinch to the next thread. That will also prevent stripping the nut after you get the bolt into place. The bolt can be removed ( it will take out the bushing pin along with it ). You will need a vise to remove the bolt from the pin. I had to do this twice since I burred the thread on the first bolt so I can file down the first thread on the bolt. Make sure the bolt is a good grade SAE or better. :thumbsup:

Coy
06-22-2005, 03:59 PM
Well, my snake developed the same noise. I know for a fact that there is a recall for this particular problem. My snake is in the shop as we speak.