PDA

View Full Version : New Coopers are on... wow I love these tires

Firme
06-10-2005, 09:49 AM
Well, last week I decided to quit putting off getting new tires and bite the bullett since three of the tires were cording :eek: :doh:

I must admit, even with no tread left, they still had great grip, and did well in the rain.

Now that the new set in on the car :cool: :bounce: its feels like a new car again. :thumbsup:

Not as nice and pretty as the Eagle F1 GS-D3's, but, for ~110 (245/45 17s) a piece, great wet/dry traction, handling, and minimal road noise, these tires are definitely ones I recommend for anyone looking to get an affordable street tire. They did real well for open track, better that the Street Nitto's and Comp T/A's

The only catch is they are hard to find in stock, so check on em a week before needing them, so that discount tire can order them if need be. Here is the tire.

http://www.coopertires.com/us/en/ProductDetails.asp?ProdType=UHP&id=223&title=UHP+Tires

just though I would share ;)

nckissfan
06-10-2005, 10:31 AM
I like the look of those. And, at that price, you really can't beat it.Thanks for the tip.

93KingCobra
06-10-2005, 10:58 AM
I loved the ones I bought in 18's for the Cobra R's. I will most likely go with them again when I have to buy tires for the 93... :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

cobrapace94
06-10-2005, 11:12 AM
Good to know Edmond. I know you liked them & they did quite well at the drag strip too.
Too bad they don't come in 315's!!! :mad:

How was the thread wear? How many miles did you get out of them?

Firme
06-10-2005, 11:33 AM
How was the thread wear? How many miles did you get out of them?

Ok, don't laugh, but between my 99 GT and the 01 Cobra, a set of tires has not lasted me too much over 10k miles. I am pretty hard on the tires, and practice for open track on my way to and from work every day :D .

The Coopers however lasted me 15.5k miles. That includes 2 Austin cruises, 1 dragon run, 1 skyway run, (? is that the name of that road, think hill country twisties on steroids), and 1 trip to 411 dragway at the SCMC 5th , a trip to HRP with a good number of passes, and who could forget, one HELL of a weekend at TWS, where they "made noise" the hole time around the track :thumbsup: .

IMPORTANT thing to note, which puzzles me about the tread wear. I run -1.5 camber in the front and -1.1 camber in the back on my cobra. This normally would mean bad tread wear on the inside of tread. BUT all 4 tires were worn down in the middle (like I said 3 were cording). The outside and the inner tread still had a little depth. When i looked at these tires new, i noticed they have a ton of meat in the middle and looked kinda shallow on the sides. I was determined that the side would be bald WELL before the center was. So I was surprised to see tread left on the sides. One thing to note is I ran about 32 PSI in them, so its not like they were overly inflated all time. :dunno: :thumbsup:

03 cobra toy
06-10-2005, 11:50 AM
Ok, don't laugh, but between my 99 GT and the 01 Cobra, a set of tires has not lasted me too much over 10k miles. I am pretty hard on the tires, and practice for open track on my way to and from work every day :D .

The Coopers however lasted me 15.5k miles. That includes 2 Austin cruises, 1 dragon run, 1 skyway run, (? is that the name of that road, think hill country twisties on steroids), and 1 trip to 411 dragway at the SCMC 5th , a trip to HRP with a good number of passes, and who could forget, one HELL of a weekend at TWS, where they "made noise" the hole time around the track :thumbsup: .

IMPORTANT thing to note, which puzzles me about the tread wear. I run -1.5 camber in the front and -1.1 camber in the back on my cobra. This normally would mean bad tread wear on the inside of tread. BUT all 4 tires were worn down in the middle (like I said 3 were cording). The outside and the inner tread still had a little depth. When i looked at these tires new, i noticed they have a ton of meat in the middle and looked kinda shallow on the sides. I was determined that the side would be bald WELL before the center was. So I was surprised to see tread left on the sides. One thing to note is I ran about 32 PSI in them, so its not like they were overly inflated all time. :dunno: :thumbsup:

With the neg camber you have, I think you need to up the air pressure to 34-35 psi COLD on the front tire and 32 on the back tires.

Just my .02 :D

How to Interpret Tire Wear
Tire wear can tell you what's going on with your car's steering, suspension and tire pressure. Regular checks can also help you prevent flat tires or a dangerous blowout.

Steps:
1. Check your tires outdoors where the lighting is good. Visually inspect all four tires.

2. Remember that under normal driving conditions, all four tires should wear evenly.

3. Check for even tread wear by using a tread-depth gauge, which costs less than $20. The depth of the tread (the grooves in the tire) should be even on all parts of the tire. Another way to check for tire wear (although not as accurate) is to stick a penny into the grooves, with Lincoln's head pointing into the tire. If you can see the top of his head, it's time to buy new tires.

4. Let some air out of your tires if there is wear down the middle and not on the sides. It means there's too much air in them.

5. Add air to tires with wear on both the inside and outside edges, which means there's not enough air in them.

6. Bring your car to an alignment shop for a front-end or four-wheel alignment if your tires are worn on one side or the other.

7. Run your hand lightly over the tread surface of each tire. If the treads feel bumpy or scalloped, even if the tread is still deep, you may need new shock absorbers or struts. (Some cars have shocks, some have struts and some have a combination'struts in front, shocks in back.)

8. Check the tire pressure in all four tires and the spare tire at least once a month. The recommended tire pressure is listed in your vehicle's manual, stamped on the side of the tire, and often printed on a sticker on the driver's-side doorjamb. When in doubt, 32 pounds per square inch (psi) is a good average until other sources can be consulted.

nckissfan
06-10-2005, 12:10 PM
that Skyway run is the Cherhole Skyway. I think that is how it is spelled. Just pronounce that the way it looks. I didn't get to do that one, but the dragon run was a blast!

Firme
06-10-2005, 12:15 PM
thanks, I learned and researched proper tire care when I put the first set of tires on my car when i was 16, and try to use and apply those to this day. I think they are very usefull for any driver to know those rules of thumb :D :p ;) :jk:

I will stick to my negative camber, however, as it makes the car handle better, without causing excessive inner tire wear.

4. Let some air out of your tires if there is wear down the middle and not on the sides. It means there's too much air in them.

5. Add air to tires with wear on both the inside and outside edges, which means there's not enough air in them.

this is exactly why my pressure came down to 32, for daily driving, early on when I saw the middle wearing faster. Any time I did any spirited driving events, the tire pressure was adjusted accordingly. I normally have run 34-35 in my cars in the past.

At TWS, after trying different pressures, and using the shoe polish test, I got the best results with 33 in the front and 36 in the back (hope I am not remembering those backwards) with the IRS.

This current set of coopers is back up to 35 psi all around, with no problems, as the 32 did not stop the middle from wearing faster.

I posted my findings, because these tires do not behave the same as any other I have personally owned (in regaurds to middle tread wear). My thoughts on these tires run along the lines that, and you can kinda see this in the picture (http://www.coopertires.com/us/en/images/tires/large/zeon2XS.jpg), that they are designed with more tread in the middle and have a curvature on the inside of the tire (the part that holds the air) which causes the middle of the tread to press out more than the sides.

Or another theory is since the middle has the tread weight, when the tire spins, the middle tread bows out???

Those are the two theories i can think of, as I have run this alignment spec with the Nittos and Comp T/A's and the middle tread never got down faster than the sides.

If you read on their site,
Tapered tread
This design feature puts deep tread in the center and slightly shallower tread in the shoulders. This puts more rubber down in the fastest wearing part of the tire, the center. The result is less weight and improved wet handling.

I think they designed it that way for the best traction, and I think it work damn well, as it hugs the road very well.

3. Check for even tread wear by using a tread-depth gauge, which costs less than $20.

I USED to have one of those, but one of the people doing tech at TWS two years ago never gave it back to me :D

rpalmer
06-10-2005, 06:33 PM
My used Cobra came with Cooper Cobra GTZ's on it. They were actaully a decent tire. I think they were better than the Fuzion ZR1's I put on a couple months ago.

I'd definitely consider Coopers again.

-RP

Bingo13
06-10-2005, 10:06 PM
Great street tire choice and if they are not in stock get their cousin- Falken FK451s, both tires are all around better on the street and track than the Goodyear GS-D3s, the Falkens were my last street tire on the Cobra until I put the Nitto RIIs back on for Scott. Personally, I am running the Falken RT615s on the SVO now, great tire, imagine the Nitto RII with slightly less stick but much better wet traction. :D

jimmysidecarr
06-10-2005, 10:19 PM
I came this---->ll<---- close to buying Coopers .... TODAY!!!!
They appear to be a GREAT TIRE... AND VALUE!!!

But I went JAP :raise: :nope: :shtowned:

I got such and incredible price on Sumitomos that I just had to try them...
http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires...eModel=HTR+Z+II

I bought 4...(but not from tire rack).... although there is a tad left on the front Eagles still....8K and wiped out my tires :chairshot :burnout: :nope:

Not on the car yet... so no report...

They told me not to say what I paid...(tire connection etiquette :naughty: )

I'll let you know how I like em... when I know...
I need to heat cycle them the best I can, on my own.

I don't want to ---> :tongue: this thread because the COOPERS are really great... and I may try them next...

Hopefully it'll be more than 8 thousand miles from now :rolleyes: :doubt:

Jimmy :thumbsup:

99CobraCrazy
06-11-2005, 01:08 AM
So what would be the top of the line performance tire out there? Should I go back with Goodyear Eagles? After this next week, I'm going with some 4.10 gears, I might be getting a new set. The set I have is new...only 3000 miles on them but the person I bought the car from put them on there and the traction or lack there of, is pretty bad.

jimmysidecarr
06-12-2005, 12:44 AM
So what would be the top of the line performance tire out there? Should I go back with Goodyear Eagles? After this next week, I'm going with some 4.10 gears, I might be getting a new set. The set I have is new...only 3000 miles on them but the person I bought the car from put them on there and the traction or lack there of, is pretty bad.

You could try a 275/40/17 on an 8" rim in the Coopers but much bigger than that you will be needing a 9 or a 10.5 rim... otherwise ...good by centers...

Goodyears are expensive and tough to catch them on sale...(pricing is all over.. very tough to predict)
But they are good tires--->made in AMERICA!!!

As are COOPERS!!!

A good "hook up" tire is going to "go away"....quick
A long wearing tire... is going to be... "a bit greasy"...

It's a crap shoot...

I'm going with "cheap stickies" this time...(220 UTQG)---> http://www.accctiresonline.com/Tires.htm

I won't know if it's the way to go for a while...

Jimmy :thumbsup:

97CasperCobra
06-12-2005, 03:55 PM
I had the Sumitumo's HTR+ on before I got the GS-D3s and probably would have gone back to them had I not gotten such a killer deal on the Goodyears(thanks Gary :thumbsup: ). I may have to give the Coopers a look when I need new tires next...hopefully that won't be for a while.

All this tire talk makes me realize how LITTLE I know about it. :(