PDA

View Full Version : opinions on the mgw shifter

Cobra4me
06-14-2005, 10:58 PM
A few weeks ago I installed the mgw shifter. Just recently especially when the engine is warm it is hard to shift gears. Another thing it seems that when I shift from 1st to second its down and slightly right. and then to third it seems that I have go through neutral and then shift up to the left. Do I need to adjust my handle?? Do I need to get my clutch adjusted. 29K miles. Anyone that can help or advise me I would appreciate.
Robbie K

tazzracing1
06-14-2005, 11:08 PM
I wish i could be of help I've had no problems from my mgw. I think I would try a different shifter position.

InfamousSVT
06-14-2005, 11:34 PM
Well, I'm assuming you still have the stock firewall adjuster and quadrant. I would first try to pull the clutch pedal up with your hand and then slowly press it down with your foot so that self adjusts. This may help you out.

As far as the shifter itself, I haven't had any problems from mine and I've had it since November of last year, which George installed it himself at our dragday!

I'm sorry I couldn't be more of a help for you, but I'd also try a different handle position, like mentioned above.

Hope you get everything worked out!:thumbsup:

Cobra4me
06-15-2005, 12:04 AM
If you guys can remember. when you installed/adjusted your handle can you describe the position. I pulled mine to the left for easier reach. Anyways it does seem to be in a bind sometimes. I think I will take out the console and drive and adjust it until it feels better. I hope the above question is not odd.

Stavesacre21
06-15-2005, 05:04 AM
That almost sounds more like a problem at the point where the shifter meets thr tranny. I'm not sure if it would be able to be adjusted or not...if it is tranny, my prayers are with you. It's a neverending fix :eek:

I'll bet that it has little to do with the shifter itself. I recently installed my shifter, and i noticed it to be much more "stiff" then stock. This is normal though, and after a few weeks (with daily driving) you should start to notice the shifts getting a litte less tight. This could very possiably be what your feeling, because every little impefection in the tranny is going to be magnified and obvious when the new shifter is as tight as MGW's is brand new.

As for your problem, if you can't seem to get it in order, definetely ask George about it. I'm sure his insight would be much more accurate since it was designed by...him :thumbsup:

dewone
06-15-2005, 07:23 AM
I would go with aligning the shifter offset straight back from the base.
I have a pro 5.0 that is straight up no offset no problems ever.

Stavescare what happen to bone stock. K&N, MSD, MGW you must have had a change of heart. If I recall you were not going to mod anything.
I bet you like the results though.

Stavesacre21
06-16-2005, 10:21 PM
Stavescare what happen to bone stock. K&N, MSD, MGW you must have had a change of heart. If I recall you were not going to mod anything.
I bet you like the results though.Not so much a change of heart, my friend...more like the decisions were made for me.

Ever since the tranny needed overhauled and the clutch was changed, nothing was feeling stock...plus, technically...nothing was. SO, when i was told by AAMCO (which is now my greatest rival) told me that replacing the shifter might keep the car from getting stuck in/out of reverse, I told them where to stick their "stock" replacemetns and bought the MGW i've heard oh-so much about. The wires...well, it was a tough call, but i decided to go with MGW from others opinions. The K&N pretty much is a drop-n-change part, so I don't really think of it as much of a mod.

I still don't plan on doing anything to the engine, and very little to anything else (except MAYBE a small 1/2-3/4 drop). I just figured...why stay on the straight and narrow when i was already veared off it involuntarily. I guess you could say that on my was back onto that path, i picked a few things up along the way! :thumbsup:

I do love it all though :D

P.S. - sorry if i stole yur post RobK! :baby: