PDA

View Full Version : Water/Menthol shot

OBI ONE
06-19-2005, 08:05 AM
Does anyone have or has used the boost cooler, water/menthol gadget? I saw in an article that the company is claiming about 60hp. Now if that is true, then it would be no problem to get into the 500+ rwhp range. Just wndering if some one has used the product and weather or not liked it.

blk04cobra1
06-19-2005, 10:57 AM
I saw a bolt-on cobra w/the meth shot and he only got 479rwhp...so my guess is their claim is way off...he used it on the dyno runs, pulled 470 w/out and then yanked it off his car...could just be one attempt though, i would wait for second opinions :D

InfamousSVT
06-20-2005, 12:12 AM
The systems do work. Bigdaddy (Greg) has one on his 2001 Kenny Brown Cobra and gained, I believe, 30 rwhp from it.

But in my opinion it's not worth it. My reason is because when you are in the tuning process, they start the timing at 34* which is way too much timing if you every run out of the methanol! The gains from that are only with a huge amount of timing in the car and I wouldn't think that much timing would be safe or allow the engine to stay healthy very long.
Now Greg is running 19* of timing in his car, but I'm not sure what it's set at for use with the boost cooler.

I've heard of some people using them and just get a 5rwhp gain and it's just throwing money down the drain, but gains can be made from it......just depends if you're willing to take the chance!

This is only my .02 cent worth.

-Infamous

Big Daddy
06-20-2005, 09:38 AM
The systems do work. Bigdaddy (Greg) has one on his 2001 Kenny Brown Cobra and gained, I believe, 30 rwhp from it.

But in my opinion it's not worth it. My reason is because when you are in the tuning process, they start the timing at 34* which is way too much timing if you every run out of the methanol! The gains from that are only with a huge amount of timing in the car and I wouldn't think that much timing would be safe or allow the engine to stay healthy very long.
Now Greg is running 19* of timing in his car, but I'm not sure what it's set at for use with the boost cooler.

I've heard of some people using them and just get a 5rwhp gain and it's just throwing money down the drain, but gains can be made from it......just depends if you're willing to take the chance!

This is only my .02 cent worth.

-Infamous

More than giving you horse power the system is for COOLING. I already have an aftercooler on my blower system so I did not see the gains others have seen with the system. My intake temps without the system were around 115-120 F. With the system my intake temps drop to around 95F. This means a denser charge into the intake and more HP. I have the car tuned as if I don't have the system so IF I run out of water/methanol I won't have problems. I would say on a NA car or a car without an aftercooling system this is a great mod for a car like mine the gains were minimal and I probably would have gotten more from a 50 shot of funny gas. The funny gas wouldn't be as safe as the water/meth but I would have gotten better HP gains. Your milage may vary! :D ;)

kilroy
07-06-2005, 09:17 AM
I can relay what I've read - no personal experience.
Meth acts like 120 Octane fuel so timing may be advanced & A/F leaned out safely using it. The Terminator kits supposedly only inject when going into boost - hence the reservior may last a few months & as Big Daddy has said, your mileage may vary. There's an indicator LED that is illuminated when the pump is in operation & this is your only indication of it working. I recall there being a write up very recently in MM&FF or 5.0 about it & they got +30-40 rwhp on a Terminator - obviously retuning the car to use it.

Ask your tuner his/her thoughts!

EDIT: a link to Snow Performance's BB/Forum (http://www.snowperformance.net/forum/index.php) Look through the Installation threads & Articles threads as well.
:thumbsup:

I'd like to know (if you do get the kit) what the before/after #s are.

InfamousSVT
07-14-2005, 01:29 AM
Just to bring this back to the top:D

Amazon Racing is working on a meth/water cooler called KILLER CHILLER, which should be very helpful on those hot track days, dyno runs, and the long highway pulls.............LOL

kilroy
07-22-2005, 10:55 AM
Just to bring this back to the top :D

Amazon Racing is working on a meth/water cooler called KILLER CHILLER, which should be very helpful on those hot track days, dyno runs, and the long highway pulls.............LOL
No Meth involved in that kit (that I am aware of). It's Thermal Electric... our cars/trucks get the Electric Hydro Chiller. Takes intercooler fluid down to near freezing...
http://www.killerchiller.com/images/photos/plumbing_diagram.jpg
and you are correct Infamous :thumbsup:, they are working with Kincaid to bring this product (& tuning for it) to our market.

*Sidenote: Mouths were watering as we unloaded a truck into the new Amazon Tuning Solutions shop last night. Motors, trannies, and gears.. Oh, my!

InfamousSVT
07-22-2005, 03:00 PM
Kilroy, I tried to contact them to see if they needed any help this weekend, but I guess they didn't need me. :(

Also, I'm desperately waiting to get a dyno tune from Rick.......do you have any idea of how much longer it may be before taking appointments? I figure they'd be open during Mustang Week (unless they are going) and since most people will be down there, I could sneak in and get a tune. :)

cobra330
07-22-2005, 07:45 PM
subscribing..I would be intereted in anything..that uses my last name...Kincaid!

kilroy
07-24-2005, 12:06 PM
Kilroy, I tried to contact them to see if they needed any help this weekend, but I guess they didn't need me. :(

Also, I'm desperately waiting to get a dyno tune from Rick.......do you have any idea of how much longer it may be before taking appointments? I figure they'd be open during Mustang Week (unless they are going) and since most people will be down there, I could sneak in and get a tune. :) Oh, we could have used some additional help. Misery LOVES company :dizzy:
They are trying to get up & running this coming week. Their offices were being re-arranged as each trailer was unloaded & now that everything is int the shop - once they get everything arranged they'll be ready to rock! I don't think they plan on being at Mustang Week as they have a few NMRA dates to show up for & plenty of work to catch up on. I've already PMed Linn elsewhere for you & when I see them tonight - I'll ask them to check PMs. They're really slammed at the moment. :thumbsup: Hang in there, I'm right there with ya on getting tweaked up...

kilroy
08-01-2005, 01:07 AM
http://mustang50magazine.com/toc/m5lp_0509_cover.jpg
The article you'll want to read starts on page 97. On a MD dyno the Terminator was tuned for Meth & made 60.15 rwhp / 66.12 rwtq at peaks... :D