PDA

View Full Version : problem with my car..

whtsuperstang
06-19-2005, 01:01 PM
well within a couple days of getting my car it started to become very choppy when i would accelarate past 1800rpm. (best way to discribe the way it felt is if you accidentally started your car in third at a stop sign) so i desided its prolly a misfire. and since the car is a 96 with 60k miles i figured perhaps no one has ever done a tune up on it, well i go to do plugs and wires and after getting cyl. 1 and 2 in i pulled three and it was drenched in oil up all the threads( nuthign on the electrod). Since it wasnt on the electrod, and talking with a bunch of people we decided that its prolly a valve cover gasket. im having that fixed monday. is there anything i should look out with this cobra? coming from my 98 v6 that had no problems im kinda disheartened by the fact that i have to have my new car already in the shop. thanks for the help!

InfamousSVT
06-20-2005, 12:41 AM
Well, you're starting off on the right track to enjoy the new car for a long time.

It definately wouldn't hurt to get the whole car tuned up and have the tech's check for any leaks and make sure everything is running right. After the tune up you should be as good as new!:thumbsup:

Your car isn't throwing any codes is it? "Check Engine Light"

93KingCobra
06-20-2005, 11:07 AM
I would recommend that you clean your IMRC's. I'm sure some one here can explain what it is better than I can. If nobody responds PM (97caspercobra) he is the best at them.....

whtsuperstang
06-20-2005, 05:41 PM
thats the funny thing, is its mis firing like your wouldnt believe but no code. i went to the shop today and they showed my where a few of the spark plug grommits had tears in them so that would explain the oil....yea i cant wait to feel this thing in its full potential, thanks for the help

tcrews
06-21-2005, 11:18 PM
Could be plug wires, they seem to go before the coilpacks or anything else on the ignition side. I'd also have the fuel filter replaced.

New plugs (Autolite 764s copper...gapped at .054)
New plug wires (FMS 9mm, MSD 8.5mm, etc..)
New fuel filter (stock replacement)
New air filter (K&N)

As for the sparkplug gaskets.....they are pretty cheap and if they are cracked might as well replace. 60k isn't that much, my '97 has just over 60k but my '98 has turned 80k already.

Tom Crews

whtsuperstang
06-22-2005, 09:55 PM
well i got the car back and it was the spark plug grommits that were the problem, they let oil in and drenched the plug and plug wires....glad thats fixed

is it difficult to put a fuel filter in? i have a k&n on the care already, any suggestions on an intake? the guy that i baught the car from put a cone filter right after the MAF with no sheild so im thinking im getting a bit of hot air or is it ok?

ill take pics when i get it back from the painter

thanks for the help

tcrews
06-22-2005, 10:05 PM
Your filter setup is fine. If you get any "heat soak" on an open filter it's while you are sitting in traffic. Once you start moving you're fine.

As for the fuel filter, it's right in front of the gas tank mounted to the bottom of the car. You do need the proper fuel line release tools (well....you can get around using the proper tools but it's more difficult so why) but it's not really a difficult job.

whtsuperstang
06-24-2005, 10:36 PM
cool thanks alot man

i finally got my car back from the mechanic and the painter and i get to drive it now! ill post some pics soon