PDA

View Full Version : Exhust confusion

BOOMER23
06-19-2005, 04:33 PM
Guys whats the deal on the Borla exhaust, I heard a friends at the Mooresville show and love it but now i cant figure something out, I have always seen pictures of their catbacks being the large oval type mufflers and now on the 03-04 stinger catback pics im noticing the circular resonator type mufflers like on the SLP stuff now. I cant for the life of me figure out what is up with this. Which one is which and when they refer to straight through design is that what they mean, no offense to anyone I just kinda associate the little circular mufflers with that high end raspy sound and the big oval ones with that deep mellow sound i am looking for.

Thanks,
Ashton

InfamousSVT
06-20-2005, 12:17 AM
The Borla cat-back has the mufflers that are round, not oval. The do indeed resemble the SLP cat-back mufflers.

If you want a straight through muffler, then I would recommend either Magnaflows or Bassani, if you want the oval muffler shape.

Magnaflow, Bassani, SLP, Borla = straightthrough mufflers

Flowmaster = a chambered muffler

The straight through mufflers will not have any bends in side the mufflers or walls for the exhaust to go around, it goes straight in, straight out.

I hope this will help to clear up some of the confusion for you.:)

-Infamous

smashedheadcat
06-20-2005, 09:10 AM
The borla stinger catback has the resonators (round ones) for mufflers similar to SLP. Borla also makes a turbo muffler (the oval ones) that will give you a deep sound (though not nearly as loud as stingers) also. Both kits come with 4 inch rolled tips. I have the stingers paired up with a prochamber and it is a deep deep sound. For a really deep sound, go with a chambered muffler such as Mac flow path or flowmaster. Bassani, magnaflow, or borla (turbo mufflers) will give you nice smooth sound. If you want the world to hear you coming try one of these combos:

Mac flow path with off road h-pipe
Flowmaster with off road h-pipe
Prochamber and stingers (heck, stingers with any midpipe)
Magnaflow "magnapak" mufflers with any midpipe
SLP loudmouth with any midpipe
Bassani and off road x-pipe

beerkat
06-20-2005, 09:38 AM
Here is a link to Borla. I have order the one with the "aggessive" sound. It is suppose to be here today. I will let you know what it sounds like.

http://www.borla.com/applications/lookup.aspx/2003/Ford/Mustang/SVT+Cobra

beerkat
06-21-2005, 08:21 AM
Well my Borla showed up yesterday and I put it on. From Start to Finish it took me 2 hours for the job.:thumbsup: Very happy with the fit and the workmanship.:D I also very happy with the sound, so my wife. I was afraid that it might be to loud but it's not. It beats the heck out of the flowmasters on the stock pipes.

The reason I went with the Borla cat-back was because it is what Ford put on the Cobra R. I felt that was as good a reason as any.:rotf:

The 4" tips really look nice. I will add a picture soon.

blk04cobra1
06-21-2005, 08:25 AM
Borla's do sound good...I just couldnt get over the tailpipes and the rolled tips...course, I wish my Bassani's had 3" tips instead of the 4"ers, damn they look huge :thumbsup:

0103SVT
06-21-2005, 08:34 AM
Borla Stingers do sound awesome, I had them on my 98 vette and loved it. On the Cobra though I decided to go with the high flow catted prochamber with Dynomax bullit resonators. I love the sound, when idling and cruising it's not real loud but when you romp on it, it screems! I would have gone with the o/r prochamber but the wifey wanted to keep it legal:mad: I'm still happy with it though.

smashedheadcat
06-22-2005, 07:36 PM
Borla's do sound good...I just couldnt get over the tailpipes and the rolled tips...course, I wish my Bassani's had 3" tips instead of the 4"ers, damn they look huge :thumbsup:

I love the look of the 4'' tips. That is a major selling point for me. Those watermellon shooters fill the rear bumper cutouts perfectly IMO.

beerkat
06-23-2005, 08:55 AM
My too! I like the way the pipes fill up the openings.:D And I really like the way they sound.:bounce: