PDA

View Full Version : bolt-in cage vs custom cage

Mystic_Cobra
06-23-2005, 11:57 AM
I am still not racing and still wishing I was racing. I am considering getting the front half U-weld kit from Autopower to finish off my bolt-in 4 pt bar. This will allow me to start racing sooner than if I hold out for a full custom cage.
I still don't have a truck yet.
If I do the Autopower kit, I would likely add a few custom bars to it.

Can I get some feedback from the group?

johnbasf
06-23-2005, 07:25 PM
CUSTOM CAGE. :thumbsup:

justagt
06-24-2005, 12:40 PM
What he said!!!!!! Trust me on this one.

Levi
06-24-2005, 12:58 PM
I am still not racing and still wishing I was racing. I am considering getting the front half U-weld kit from Autopower to finish off my bolt-in 4 pt bar. This will allow me to start racing sooner than if I hold out for a full custom cage.
I still don't have a truck yet.
If I do the Autopower kit, I would likely add a few custom bars to it.

Can I get some feedback from the group?

I was thinking along the same lines............ I have the same four point and thought if and when I go racing that would be what I would do.

I think a custom cage weld-in would be the best, I just do not have the $$$.

johnbasf
06-24-2005, 02:14 PM
I would like to add something here. Don't put a cage in your street car and race it. Build another car if you are going to race. You will regret taking your Cobra off the street. NONE of the race series are worth the money you will lose when you do it. Trust me, I've been there and done that. :thumbsup:

cobrabitn
06-24-2005, 11:27 PM
What John said! :thumbsup:

Go get a klunker car to put together.... I would venture to say a 94/95 GT since it is similar to the Cobra and has the windsor motor mounts already set up for you. Really, any fox body would be cool unless of course you just want to use your daily driver to race with? The choice is yours...

SIUNARA
06-25-2005, 02:23 AM
I'm sure the temptation to race can be strong at times...but don't sacrifice safety to get out there sooner. Do it right the first time...and keep yourself safe.

Hey Tony, I think it's time you change your signature. If I recall correctly, the only kicking you did was your own a$$ for not spending more money so you could keep up at CMP. ;)

cobrabitn
06-25-2005, 07:42 PM
Nah Don.... I let you have it. Remember, we were neck and neck and I was in the front till those dang cornerworkers kept on harassing me. Besides, I'll be at Gingerman, will you?

Also, next year so we don't have to hear any bellyaching, we're going to set up an SCMC "grudge" session for those of us that want to just run our cars all out but not have to worry about other people making comments about our aggressiveness on the track. I'm sure we'll have race insurance like we did this year. :thumbsup:

SIUNARA
06-26-2005, 01:09 AM
The corner workers weren't harrassing you...they were waving the passing flag...they tend to do that when someone creates a train.

I will not be at Gingerman. I try to limit 10 hour tows (one way) to 2 or 3 for the year. I was at CMP twice already this year and will be hitting VIR in late July. That about does me in for long hauls. Have fun! :thumbsup: