PDA

View Full Version : Anyone added a line-in to their factory head unit?

Bartman01
06-25-2005, 09:14 AM
Thinking of adding a line in to the factory head unit (and possibly doing the speed-sensitive volume mod while I have it out). Anyone add one of these to the ford 6 disc in-dash unit?

There are a couple from USA Spec that look like they might work. One adds 2 line level inputs, the other is specifically for an iPod and lets your radio control the iPod.

Blownsvtlightning
06-25-2005, 04:19 PM
Thinking of adding a line in to the factory head unit (and possibly doing the speed-sensitive volume mod while I have it out). Anyone add one of these to the ford 6 disc in-dash unit?

There are a couple from USA Spec that look like they might work. One adds 2 line level inputs, the other is specifically for an iPod and lets your radio control the iPod.

I have the speed sensitive fature on my truck and focus, I find it more annoying than anything. good luck with it.

msmap
06-27-2005, 11:15 AM
I have the speed sensitive fature on my truck and focus, I find it more annoying than anything. good luck with it.

I have to agree with James on this. I thought I wanted to do the mod for it but after driving with it in our truck, it's the first thing I turn off when I get in. It is very annoying!

Firme
06-27-2005, 11:48 AM
Bart, if you pioneer this, can you share the process with the rest of us (possibly a write-up :D ). I might be interested in doing this down the road.

Mephisto
06-27-2005, 12:23 PM
I looked into this a long time back, when I added Satalite radio to the head unit. I know a couple of harnesses were out there that allow for line in. I installed the kit with the FM modulator in-line. The volume is always very low, so I would like to try a direct line in. I just can't recall where I saw the post.

cobltng
06-28-2005, 03:52 PM
I have to agree with James on this. I thought I wanted to do the mod for it but after driving with it in our truck, it's the first thing I turn off when I get in. It is very annoying!

We have this in our 01 Cobra & 03 Escape. It will drive you nutz :doubt:

Bronzit
12-21-2006, 12:17 AM

My Mach 460 has a 7-stage speed sensing volume control built into it. I just set it from the front panel to the variation setting which gives me the auto. adj. I like. Right now, that is #5. Look it up for yourself in the SVT Mustang owners manual. When you get to the right page, it's easy.

Bartman, PM me the info. on the iPod control cable, will you? I WANT one!

Bartman01
12-21-2006, 09:24 AM
My Mach 460 has a 7-stage speed sensing volume control built into it. I just set it from the front panel to the variation setting which gives me the auto. adj. I like. Right now, that is #5. Look it up for yourself in the SVT Mustang owners manual. When you get to the right page, it's easy.

Bartman, PM me the info. on the iPod control cable, will you? I WANT one!

The 01 has the same head unit, but (I guess to save a few cents) Ford didn't modify the wiring harness to use the speed sensitive ability. It can be done, but in the end decided not to hack in to the harness to do it.

As to the iPod control - will l send a PM, but most of the units out there now list our systems in their compatibility lists. I got the USA spec dual unit (http://www.usaspec.com/ipod.html) because it has both the iPod interface and RCA inputs for any device. The only thing I DON'T like about it is that the head unit interface was designed with only music in mind, not other content (like audio books or podcasts). I have mine in 'iPod' control mode where you can use the iPod directly instead of controlling it through the head unit.

The unit plugs directly in to the back of the stereo to the external CD interface. To get to it, just press CD twice.