PDA

View Full Version : Help overheated

kencobra
07-01-2005, 07:36 PM
Cobra overheated today and I can't figure out why. :mad: First the A/C stopped blowing cold and then I looked at the temp gauge and it was on the rise. I pulled over lifted the hood and the belt was still there and all the pullies were moving. The upper Billetflow idler did have black marks on it from the belt and it never has before.
I was about 5 miles from the house and it took me two more times pulling over and letting it cool before I made it home.

Any suggestions ?

99CobraCrazy
07-01-2005, 08:50 PM
Was the temp moving up the gague pretty fast after each stop? Or did the needle slowly start creeping up?

kencobra
07-01-2005, 09:56 PM
I would slowy as it took about two miles of driving locally for the gauge to go from midline to almost red. I am thinking it could be the thermostat or I have an air bubble in the line now that I had to put about a gallon and half of coolant into it or a conbo of the two.

Does anyone know how to burp the system and is the thermo on the bottom raiator hose ?

kencobra
07-01-2005, 11:32 PM
Found some post on burping the system so I will try it tomorrow. What degree thermostat is everyone running?

Levi
07-02-2005, 12:56 PM
Found some post on burping the system so I will try it tomorrow. What degree thermostat is everyone running?

Talk to David (03 cobra toy), He is the 03 cooling pro........... :thumbsup:

Bingo13
07-03-2005, 02:03 AM

The problem sounds like the classic burp issue, however on these engines that can be deadly after a few miles.

I ran the Evans 180 remote thermostat that mounts on the positive pressure side of the motor on the top hose between the cross-over and radiator. The stock stat is on the negative pressure side of the engine which causes several issues including cavitation by limited flow from the radiator and delay before the stat starts to open at 180 and is not fully opened until 218 or so.

David's cooling system is several times more advanced that what I ran so hopefully he will chime in. Considering our climate one of the best upgrades to run is a new radiator (hopefully Evans has released their stock mounting point unit with oil cooler by now, if not go Fluidyne/Steeda/LFP) and heat exchanger even on stock cars.

kencobra
07-04-2005, 11:36 AM
Thanks for the info. I did get it fixed and it was the classic " burp " issue.