PDA

View Full Version : strengthening the rear?

SVTcobra04
07-01-2005, 11:54 PM
what stuff would one need to strenthen up the rear IRS on an 04 cobra?i was looking at the option D drag-pac at rpm outlet...will it help and are those those good quality parts?

blk04cobra1
07-02-2005, 01:30 PM
those are some quality parts, but personally, I would go with these:

BilletFlow IRS brace
Maximum Motorsports IRS bushings
Kenny Brown Extreme Matrix system (chassis stiffener)
Drag Radial tires (they'll help get traction to prevent wheel hop

optional:
DSS level 5 halfshafts
Moser 31 spline

too many options to choose from, good luck :thumbsup:

kilroy
07-06-2005, 09:47 AM
IRS Brace (BilletFlow/Steeda)
Level 2 or 5 DSS half-shafts (ratings 2=600rwhp/5=900rwhp) *I'd go big...

smashedheadcat
07-06-2005, 10:00 AM
I would also recommend the Billet Flow IRS brace. This brace was designed and made by an enthusiast by the name of Mark. He's the owner of Zone 5 Performance. He posts as MJchip on most mustang boards. He was the guy that designed the thing and billetflow makes the product for him now. Well, RPMoutlet copied the design almost instantly, cut some corners, and started selling it cheaper. I feel that is some pretty shady stuff and personally don't recommend people to buy that particular product from them. Billetflow or Zone 5 is where I'd get the brace from if I were to get one.

SVTcobra04
07-06-2005, 04:11 PM
is the steeda just as good?i was gonna get the bushings from them and ive ordered stuff from them before and was happy so id like to again.where do i get the halfshafts?thnx

tgentry
07-06-2005, 04:19 PM
I just ordered the Steeda Diff. Brace. It appears that they improved on the Billet Flow design.

SVTcobra04
07-06-2005, 04:21 PM
thnx...let me know how the install is.what tools are needed for the install?

tgentry
07-06-2005, 04:38 PM
Since my whole IRS is sitting on my trailer, with the diff already out of it for bushings, my install will not be representative of normal.

I assume you'll have to drop the diff out to do it, which doesn't look too difficult to me, even if it was in the car. But then everything looks easier when you're not your back with dirt dropping into your eyes :thumbsup:

blk04cobra1
07-07-2005, 09:27 AM
You can do it with basic hand tools, but some say a couple of the bolts are hard to get to when the IRS is bolted up...I assume you could do it on jackstands, but lifts make things so much easier :thumbsup:

kilroy
07-07-2005, 11:18 AM
I recall the instructions warning for the need of above average mechanical skills... It took about an hour for a ASE bud of mine to install my Steeda IRS brace on a shop's lift. I initially called BF, but Doug was out of stock at the time. The IRS needed to be partially dismantled to get the IRS brace in there - undoubtedly the same for the others as well.

cobra330
07-07-2005, 09:31 PM
Get the Billetflow..one..and yes you can do it on jack stands..but, it ain't easy. My buddies have this done to about a 45 minute job or less. The trick is jack stands..and then a jack to move things around so, you can get bolts out and then in....I have seen it done a few times..and if I can get into my buddies shop...I'll do it on a lift...

kilroy
07-08-2005, 05:17 AM
D.S.S. link (http://www.driveshaftshop.com/MUSTANGC.V..ivnu) You may find a vendor offering a group purchase on these... It'd be worth a search.

Also, I've located the two page Installation Instructions from Steeda. I'll scan it later today...

kilroy
07-08-2005, 01:37 PM
Here ya go.

SVTcobra04
07-08-2005, 02:52 PM
i think ill get the parts and have them installed by someone...thats to much for me :D

Davesnake
07-13-2005, 08:55 PM
I just ordered the Steeda Diff. Brace. It appears that they improved on the Billet Flow design.

How so?

tgentry
07-14-2005, 10:08 AM
The Steeda brace is very similar to the Billet Flow, but Steeda added another attachment point and another gusset. Steeda claims that their cad plating makes it more stable under load than the powder coating, but I'm not sure I buy that. Just look at pictures and compare.

BTW, I put mine on last night. Piece of cake with the diff out of the car. :thumbsup: