PDA

View Full Version : Whats up with Windage Trays??

Dave B.
07-02-2005, 10:21 PM
RPMOUTLET claims 12 HP with there Windage Tray,
How come iv not heard about this thing before I wonder, my Mech has never said anything about it, is there a down side to having one a an 03 Cobra?

Does it shorten engine life do to lack of Lubracation? is it really that much power? if you have one tell me about it please, thanks Dave

BlueOvalPower
07-02-2005, 11:33 PM
Windage trays can actually prolong life of the motor allowing it to spin with less drag, the only thing the oil is in the oil pan is for the pump, all the cams, crank journals, etc. are all internally oiled through the pump, I do not know if there is an issue, if you drag race a lot or road race I would say it would be a good thing you motor will have less stress if it just street driven meaning lots of ups and downs oil drainback is there, and as far as I can tell there is not oil starvation going on they are not needed for that much work, maybe if you dont have headers on yet and think you might time to do something like that and whatever else while the motor or K-member is out.

ausie
07-03-2005, 09:34 AM
Windage trays are designed for increase stregth of the main bolts and bearing caps since there is not much support there. They have been around for some time, but more common requirement for the older motors like the 5.0 or if you have the aluminum block. Also a deeper oil pan helps too since the 5.0 has the crank a bit lower than the 4.6. You will loose some HP if the counterweights are plowing through the oil in the pan which is not the issue with the 4.6 motors.

BlueOvalPower
07-04-2005, 12:09 AM
[QUOTE=ausie]Windage trays are designed for increase stregth of the main bolts and bearing caps since there is not much support there. [QUOTE]

Actually I believe you are refering to a Main Cap Girdle or cap saddle I may be wrong, a windage tray is a piece of thin steel that does mount to a couple of the main bolts, and its purpose is the to prevent windage from the rotating mass, which at higher RPM's it starts to create like a typhoon of oil around the Crank and rods, just by it spinning so fast the oil starts to "circle" around it and creates a drag on it, the windage tray just separates the oil from the rotating mass allowing it to spin with less load at higher RPM's and that is where I think they got the extra HP

ausie
07-04-2005, 11:10 AM
I'll buy that, I always thought it was the beefy tray shown with most motors in many adds. It is usually made from 3/8 to 1/2 inch machined aluminum plate. Is it possible that there are some that are combined as a girdle and windage tray? I do remember reading about a windage tray a few years back and perhaps I am mistaken as to what it really is. Never too late to learn something new. :cool:

cobrabitn
07-04-2005, 03:19 PM
These trays are there to reduce oil slosh and to help prevent air bubbles in the oil. They also keep the oil off the crank so you can free up some hp as stated above by BOP. Depending on the year of your Cobra/Mustang, they don't all bolt to the cap bolts, some are used like a "gasket" for your oil pan. :D