PDA

View Full Version : Lost a race to an 04 corvette

orange04
07-04-2005, 01:28 PM
:mad: I have an orange 04, pulled up to the light today, he was like nice car!! Love the color, talked for a few seconds, My heart was pumping because I knew we were gonna go.I only have 1000 miles on it but I drive it pretty good. Light turns green and we start easy, we hit it from about 25mph, my wheels start spinning(lose traction) and I just started to nose ahead, THEN, I miss second gear, race over! He wouldnt slow down, I wanted another shot at burning him. I haved toyed w/ vets before and never had a problem. I was really upset lol. I am all stock except for exhaust(slp) and filter. I dont beat on the car often but this time I wanted to, and missed second gear.:mad:

cobrabitn
07-04-2005, 03:14 PM
Oh well...maybe some other time you will get another shot at it. If I out pulled him in first gear then that would say enough for me. Anyway, you might want to go to a drag strip and practice your launches and get an aftermarket shifter. I recommend MGW as I have one in my Mystichrome. Check it out at www.mgwltd.com Good luck! :thumbsup:

orange04
07-04-2005, 03:59 PM
Oh well...maybe some other time you will get another shot at it. If I out pulled him in first gear then that would say enough for me. Anyway, you might want to go to a drag strip and practice your launches and get an aftermarket shifter. I recommend MGW as I have one in my Mystichrome. Check it out at www.mgwltd.com (http://www.mgwltd.com/) Good luck! :thumbsup: I agree, I need practice, I feel I drive the car really well, but racing is another story, Not only did I miss 2nd, I hit the rev limiter in first. I am not sure of the perfect shift points so I may need a shift light to help me, I dont like looking at the tach when I am running hard, like I said, I dont baby the car all the time, but I dont kill it either, so running at the track may not sit good w/ me, I love this car, comes out on nice days sometimes lol, but I love driving it and would love to be able to drive it perfect in a race, and I didnt:mad: I also feel the tires suck, the wheel hop or sliding sideways when you dont want too suck, its fun but.......... lol. I would like the short through shifter, I have an after market ( forget by whom) all it was for was to adjust the stick so my hand wasnt against the radio while being in 1st or 3rd and lowered 2nd 4th and 6th, I like it but the throughs between gears are long (Ifeel). The only gear I ever missed before was 3rd but i dont race all time. I love this car and my heart thumps every time I get behind the wheel. I do need practice on the launch(I hate riding the clutch so there must be a better way, like using the throttle and clutch correctly with out burning the tires) and shift points for optimum runs. My buddy has an 03, I was in his car and he will race anything and everything lol. We took a Z06 kinda good once, I know the two cars are close and the winner will be the better driver, He shifts perfect though. I will look into the short through shifter, thanks for the link!!! I also need a BIG spot light to shine in my face to tell me when to shift LMAO.. Thanks Cobra.

nckissfan
07-04-2005, 04:18 PM
next time you are riding with you buddy, watch his tach, and listen to the motor. You can try to adjust your shift points to the sound of the motor. You could try this now, and get a light later. Maybe you wont have to spend the money on one.

orange04
07-04-2005, 04:53 PM
next time you are riding with you buddy, watch his tach, and listen to the motor. You can try to adjust your shift points to the sound of the motor. You could try this now, and get a light later. Maybe you wont have to spend the money on one. Thanks, your right, would rather be looking at where I am going though lol. I know the supercharger is loud and add in the exhaust, or even the guy next to you having something loud and it makes it hard to shift w/ the sound of the engine. I think I just need practice and a shorter through shifter, as you said, a light maybe down the road, a really bright one lol..Thanks Nckiss:thumbsup:

InfamousSVT
07-04-2005, 08:22 PM
Orange is a beautiful color:D :D

Definitely need a MGW shifter, and practice on your shift points. Practice around with it before spending the money, but it is nice to have a shift light that you can see without taking your eyes off the road/track!

Good luck, next time, but like Tony said.........if you took him off the jump then there's no worry about it. Now if you were going from a 60mph roll, then the vette would have took you on the high side maybe..........but isn't it nice to see a $60,000 car get beat by a car for half the price and nicer IMO:thumbsup: :D

-Infamous

ausie
07-09-2005, 11:30 AM
The best thing I ever put on my car was a good clutch quadrant and fire wall cable adjuster. Ever since I installed it, my stock shifter gets into every gear even if I over rev in the lower gears. I lost to an early version of a Z06 probably due to clutch slipage and missing 3rd just a bit. That won't happen now.

Also, if you only have 1000 miles on it, your car is not even broken in. It will wake up after the first 4000 miles and just hold on. IF you are still running the Goodyear F1's that may be one reason for the wheel spin. They are good tires but I have driven on much better (toyo Proxies s-1) :thumbsup:

AirForce1
07-09-2005, 04:28 PM
i remenber when i got my 03. i would race every one. you win some and you lose some. :thumbsup: but now with all the mods the 05 vets and z06s arent much to look at exept in your rear view mirror. :D :rotf:i would get nittio drag radials that should help with the hop on the irs. it helped me it sticks like glue now. but the only catch is that they are not cheep and they do not handle well in the rain.

bbrence
08-03-2005, 01:27 AM
Don't sweat it, you had him beat......and best of all, HE KNOWS IT!!!! I can sympathize though. I have been thinking of buying a nice big Tach with a shift light.....a loud buzzer might be better. In these cars, it is difficult not to bounce off the rev limiter....the revs build so damn quickly. And you're right.....it's tough, if not impossible for me to keep an eye on the tach in the heat of battle. I have had 2 Mustang GT's in the past, and could always shift by engine sound.....and almost never missed a shift with the old 5 speed. The six speed is a little tougher.....and I am still surprised at how fast the car hits the rev limit in 1st, 2nd, and third.....amazing.

The 2005 Vette should be an even race assuming both drivers are equal. You should blow away a 2004 Vette....all things being equal. An older Z06 is about the equivalent of a 2005. Be prepared though.....a 2006 Z06 will have 500 honest HP and torque up the ying yang. Unless you have a highly modified car, I would leave them alone.

The most fun: You can blow away Bimmer M3's. The guys that drive them seem to be an immature, arrogant bunch.....love to see their faces as you blow the doors off their expensive little toys from daddy.

Keep the rubber side down.

kilroy
08-15-2005, 08:14 AM
~ I am not sure of the perfect shift points so I may need a shift light to help me, I dont like looking at the tach when I am running hard~ I also need a BIG spot light to shine in my face to tell me when to shift LMAO...
As far as spotlights go, Raptor (http://www.raptorperformance.com/)makes a pretty good one. Look at my avatar. 2pm @Commerce & clearly visible in bright sunlight. Raptor also provide covers for night driving. I personally don't use the cover but know better not to look down as it'll have you seein' spots! :cool:

The rpm your light illuminates is completely adjustable as well...