PDA

View Full Version : Rattle some where

dewone
07-05-2005, 12:58 PM
Drove the cobra up to Columbus, to see my dad,for the 4th, and on the way home the exhaust seemed a little louder. When I got home in the garage I heard a rattle. It had a ringing sound to it. Only while the engine decelerates. I checked the pullies, and knocked around alittle but couldn't find the rattle on my own. At any rate I'll get someone to rev her a little while I get underneath to see if it's coming from there. Dang things can be puzzling sometimes.
I kinda suspect that cat material chuncked off or something.
Any suggestions.

smashedheadcat
07-05-2005, 05:07 PM
It's almost impossible to diagnose a rattling noise on here, so replies may be limited. I think you are on the right track. Which part of the vehicle is it coming from?? I think you are on the right track as far as jacking the car up and searching for the source from underneath. That's what I would do. It could very well be the cats.

nckissfan
07-05-2005, 05:14 PM
maybe your doughnut from the exhaust manifold to the pipe is broke? That could be the reason for the extra noise from the exhaust. It sounds exhaust related, though.

69mach1351w
07-08-2005, 02:14 PM
im gonna go with your cat. Abuddy of mine has the same prob, but on his dodge ram. The honey comb material broke off, and at low rpm, or when there is most "drone" you can hear it rattling.

ausie
07-09-2005, 11:06 AM
IT could be a number of things, even a header gasket. Sometimes the heat shields on the cats corrode and become loose. If it is the cats, thats a good reason to replace them with an X pipe :D , that is if you have not done that already. Lets just hope it is exhaust related and not internal.

dewone
07-11-2005, 07:42 AM
Still searching for the rattle. Climbed under without jacking her up, and hit the cats with my palm. That created part of the sound, but not exactlly then again that wouldn't shake has hard as the engine would. What I think I'll do from here is put her on the jack stands and remove the exhaust from the header collecter back and start it. See what happens then. At least that should isolated the problem to the header, or it will eliminate it, or worse somthing else is the cause.

dewone
07-16-2005, 06:05 AM
Found the rattle. It was the cats, well one of them, the ceramic inside dislodged from it's mount and was clogging the drivers side exhaust. As well as bouncing around inside causing the rattle. Had to chunck it out. So I chuncked out the other side just to balance things. Boy did that uncork the exhaust. What a relief to fix that. Thanks for everyones help.

nckissfan
07-16-2005, 04:25 PM
glad you got it fixed:thumbsup: