PDA

View Full Version : pvc valve

1-QIK-SNK
07-06-2005, 05:36 PM
what dose the pvc valve do? how often do you need to replace it?
kerry

69mach1351w
07-08-2005, 02:11 PM
If you mean the P C V, then what that is is a valve that continues the engines natural vacum. It stands for something like positive crankcase ventilation. It isnt that important on most cars. My old mach didnt even have a hose or anything connected for years, and no probs

dewone
07-11-2005, 07:44 AM
An easy check on the PCV is to take it out and shake it it should rattle freely.
If it doesn't rattle it could be clogged.

jsnake
07-21-2005, 06:43 AM
The pcv valve lets the vacuum of the engine evacuate the crankcase of combustion fumes. If you don't run one your oil will get dirty faster. It would be a good idea to keep it so acids will not form in your oil too fast. The oil has the capability to neutralize acid to a certain extent( the TBN # ). That stands for "Total Base Number". But, if you start dumping more combustion fumes in your oil than the oil is supposed to neutralize, acid will begin to eat away at your engine. Specifically the lead overlay on your bearings. Using the PCV valve can do nothing but good for your engine.

ausie
08-21-2005, 08:09 AM
Like everyone else said, positive crankcase ventilation. The valve is paired up with a breather line that comes from the intake after the MAF. The breather line is connected to the other valve cover. It is part of the emissions system but works by itself. The vaccum of the motor is used to evacuate the gasses (caused by hot oil, fuel blow by, etc ) so it can be burned in the combustion chamber instead of in the engine bay (there is a potential for the fumes to catch fire if having just breathers). It will also reduce the oil pressure which allows for better oil flow. They are cheap to replace and on most vehicles they are the most neglected component. (I have yet to find the one on my Ford Exploder which is long overdue for replacement).